Lidocaine injections

Hi,

I’m planning to start electrolysis on my face, and am considering Transhealth/The Hair Removal Clinic London for their pain-free treatment (http://www.thehairremovalclinic.co.uk)

I saw an old post asking about it, but there were no replies from anyone who had tried Transhealth.

I was wondering if anyone has used them recently, or know of any other clinic offering a similar local anaesthetic service in the London area.

I would be very grateful for any information or advice you can offer, as I want to start as soon as possible – I gave up on laser/IPL treatments months ago as a painful waste of time and money!

… hurt a lot by themselves and may cause permanent scars. Moreover only medical personal is allowed to do them.

Beate,

Please explain how a lidocaine injection can “cause permanent scars.”

I can not speak for Beate, because only she (and her electrologist) is the one who knows the details of her treatment. But I can speculate about why she has come to that conclusion.

With your permission Bea. The needle of the injection of lidocaine is not that left marks. The marks were caused by overtreatment due to treatment of terminal hairs close together. When the area is numb, the practitioner can make the mistake of relax and ignore the warning signs and manifestations that occur in the skin.

If you do not adapt your technique to avoid the involvement of the interfollicular tissue, these are the consequences. Or you choose the strategy “clear and advance”, or use the technique of multiple insertions to obtain a coagulation pattern longer and thinner, rather than one wider which will connect to the adjacent follicle.

You know what Josefa, I got into a car one time and had an accident. THEREFORE, being in a car CAUSES ACCIDENTS.

Yep, I’m so ready to pounce! I’m sharpening my talons. This time, no more “Mr. Nice Guy!” he he he

Thank you very much, Josefa.
You have been very informative and reassuring.

I’m not sure what kind of injections you are talking about, but I can speak for injections performed by a dentist. Injecting Novocaine prior to electrolysis treatment inside the upper lip was great for those very sensitive clients. The injections were not “painless” but worth it.

I will admit that I overworked my very first client who did this, working an hour on her upper lip. She has a hormonal problem, so 34 years later, she is still stopping in for infrequent clean-up treatments. Her upper lip looks fine - she’s 50 now, and is not showing any evidence of electrolysis- or age-related wrinkling on her upper lip.

Here is a photo of Wolfgang when we told him we just ran out of local anesthetic!

Is this your dog, Michael? I love him!

I bet he gets that look on his face a lot…

HA! The dog is owned by my friend John. The dog’s name (a boy dog) is “Daisy.” John is an attorney for the IRS (in Los Angeles) so Daisy looks like this a LOT!

Unfortunately just the other way round - the scars are clearly traces from the needle. There are also signs of an overtreatment, but in an area where i did not get injection and where the hair density was extremly high.

Anyway - i think i would be able to do an at least mostly full clearance of my beard without overtreating it. And i am pretty sure that it would take me less that 4.5 hours to fully treat my upper lip the first time, do that without overtreating it and that the whole procedure would not hurt THAT much as it did.

In other words: in the hands of a better electrologist i would probably not have needed injections at all.

Addition: the main reason why i am so skeptical on lidocain injections is that in 2005 a colleague hit a larger blood vessel of her client with the injection. She died from the shock caused by that injection.

Was your colleague a medical professional with required training to do these injections? I know a girl from high school who died at a dentist’s office after going in for a wisdom tooth removal. They screwed up her propofol dosage and she never woke up. Now, when I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled I made sure they’d put me to sleep. There is no way I was going to avoid anesthetics because some people die from complications.

Beate, I have to tell you that “death from injecting a blood vessel with lidocaine?”

I do not believe this story at all!

Can you therefore direct me to the source of this story?

Michael, please, I’d love you to share here the content of your email to me today.

And another personal desire. Please consider the idea of recording a DVD to teach doctors (today) and electrologists (hopefully maybe someday) to apply local anesthesia adapted to Electrolysis treatments.

Hang on Jossie, I will have something nice tomorrow.

I’m going to ask my friend Dr. Welsh (California’s inspector/examiner for anesthesiology) to write something or “chime in.” We need more than an anecdote or (perhaps) second-hand information.

I would greatly like to speak directly to the woman that Beate is talking about. It would be important to hear the story from the person herself and what exactly went wrong in this case.

Factors such as drug used, amount and timing, area of the body, health of the patient and known reactions and other medications being taken at the same time. There will be a report on this, and I would like to read that report. Such happenings are very rare indeed, and are always “big news” in the medical community. I’m only after the facts in this case.

I found that topical EMLA worked fine for me, even around the mouth and nostrils, but I know practitioners like the folks at Electrology 3000 in Dallas who regularly use injectables for long facial sessions. They have been in business for decades and have an arrangement for injections as allowed in their state. Pain is different for everyone, and I know some people who could only tolerate electrolysis with injections.

In my experience as a professional who has worked extensively in infiltrated skin, Andrea, I have to admit that most people tolerate the treatments, better or worse, until they prove local anesthesia for the first time. At that time, their tolerance becomes history.

And it is logical, who wants to suffer if you have the option to avoid it. Still, topical anesthesia as Emla is a great help to large areas with low hair density.