LHR post-treatment folliculitis - how to deal with it?

I recently just got another laser treatment about 2 weeks ago (back, chest, shoulders, upper arms, abs), this would be my like 14th treatment or so using an alexandrite. I was treated with two different strengths, 18 joules for some areas and 20 joules for others. Using a Candela gentlelase I think its called, has cryogenic spray.

I am now completely broken out in zits. Like 100+ zits. Ive never had this many from a treatment before (I normally get 5-10). Im not sure if they are genuine zits or if they are actually the destroyed hair follicle failing to “shed” out of the skin and becoming trapped like an ingrown hair by infection.

It looks like folliculitis to be honest.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve these infections? At the moment ive been using benzoyl peroxide twice a day, salicylic acid pads to wipe, and hydrocortisone cream at night.

My back and chest look like the Swiss alps right now. Its really disgusting! Oddly my stomach did not develop even one single infection despite being treated at the same time.

Is it ill-advised to go see my electrologist (I also get electrolysis) to deal with them? In the past I’ve gone to her to have her rip open the sores and fetch the piece of hair which seems to start the healing process once done. But im not 100% sure theres even hairs beneath the infection. Is this really my best course of action?

If you wonder why I get laser and electrolysis, its because ive never found electrolysis to actually work for permanent reduction (ive had 30 hours with one electrologist, then 50 hours with another, never saw even a 10% reduction in hair levels by the end of it all). Whereas with my alexandrite my buttocks is now basically 95% hair free after several years of treatments (although other areas are proving a lot more stubborn to get major reduction).

I also had one treatment with a YAG, my prior treatment to this latest one. The YAG was used because id gotten back from tropical vacation and still had a strong tan on my body (normally im ghost white with dark brown hair, ideal candidate for alexandrite).

The YAG seemed to give me more hair regrowth, rather than less.

Anyways my primary question here is how to deal with the folliculitis (or ingrown hairs? Or hair follicles that failed to fall out after being killed) from my treatment??

Nothing seems to be working to make the zits go away.

This MAY have happened to me because I took a bath the day of my treatment some hours afterwards. Normally I don’t as the technician advises against it. So I wonder if that made me more susceptible to developing the infections. Either way, I look HIDEOUS!!

Just to update this.

I have started trying to take bleach baths. This involves filling a bathtub with water and adding 1/2 cup of Clorox bleach to it. You might think this is crazy but it actually makes a bit of scientific sense. Its basically turning your bathtub into a sterile swimming pool. I soak for 10 minutes and then shower it off me.

So far I’ve only done one so its too early to say if its working, but I have noticed that all the pain of the points of inflammation seems to have diminished substantially, which is perhaps an initial sign it is working? The wounds don’t hurt anymore to touch is what im saying, they were fairly sore before I took the first bleach bath. Also many of the white heads that formed over the infections seem to have “dried” out and can be scratched off just with my finger nail.

I am also going to visit a doctor in the next day or two and try to procure a prescription for a cycle of oral tetracycline.

Im amazed nobody has responded to this!! Do you guys not observe folliculitis post-LHR? Its always happened to me but only 5-10 zits at a time, whereas this latest time was just a massive outbreak. Im worried to let my electrologist go at them as she may induce scarring in her attempts to rip them open.

To note im very prone to ingrown hairs if I shave my body hair. A big part of why im opting for more permanent hair removal solutions.

It’s a busy time of year, so people are less able to provide timely advice.

A visit to the doctor is your best option in clearing up the infections as quickly as possible. You could try several creams and lotions, and it seems that you already have, but these are typically more helpful in mild cases and you would need to allow time for them to have an effect.

You should now turn your thoughts to preventative measures. The cause is unclear, so you’ll need to make some broad changes.

If you shave before your laser treatments, use an electric trimmer instead. Ensure that you are keeping any dirty surfaces away from your skin after treatment. This means clean clothes, clean towels, clean bedding and clean bathtub. Advise your laser clinic of the reaction and pay attention to their hygienic practices (a new distance gauge for each client). Consult with your doctor about a cream that can be used after treatments. Some people have success with antibacterial or antibiotic creams.

14 laser treatments is also potentially concerning. Have these areas been treated 14 times or is this spread across several areas?

Hi Scurvy,

The first 8 treatments were solely on my buttocks as thats where I wanted clearance the most. I can happily report that 95% of all my butt hair seems to be gone for good, and what does come back is super thin and barely visible.

After getting to that point I began getting treatments elsewhere, back/chest/abs/shoulders/upper-arms. I’ve had I believe 6, possibly more, treatments of those areas as well as additional treatments (each time) to my buttocks. But it seems like my buttocks is not getting any further progress from it, I may have gotten as reduced as im going to get there.

So for back/chest/abs/shoulders/upper-arms im at around 6 treatments with the alexandrite (although one of those was with a YAG). Whereas for buttocks im at around 14 treatments although it seems most the results happened in the first 8 treatments. Perhaps I should just stop treating the butt, but I do like the 6-8 weeks of complete hairlessness I get from having it treated.

Anyways I was able to visit a doctor today, he said it looked like I had folliculitis and ended up prescribing me a 7 day course of the antibiotic Cephalexin (500mg). Which I have now begun taking. I did not ask him (forgot) about a cream for use after LHR treatments. However I will be seeing my GP soon for other concerns so ill try to remember to ask him about that.

For future prevention of this, do you think using a benzoyl peroxide cleansing wash over the treatment areas would be a good idea? I really do not want to go through this again.

Sure, a benzoyl peroxide wash may help. Anything that is antibacterial and can clean the area. Antibiotic creams or pills should be a final resort for severe cases as is the case currently. You need to take more precaution with cleanliness for the treated area as I said in my previous comment. The ultimate goal is preventing this occurrence with as little medical help as possible. Keep us updated.

You should also be aware that you won’t be able to gauge the end result of laser hair reduction until three months after your final treatment. Be prepared to see more hair than you expect on your butt when or if you stop treatments. Laser treatments reach maximum effect around 8 to 10 treatments, and this can be reduced if all treatments are as high as safely possible.