LHR for Asian male.

Hi, I’m 20yrs old Korean male and very much interested in laser hair removal. I took the Fitz…something skin test (which I found online) and it told me I was skin type 4. But in my opinion, I have light beige skin. The places I want to get LHR are legs (very coarse black hair and very pale legs, which haven’t seen the sun in six years), arms (not very coarse, a bit fine, but long, and my skin is very slightly tanned because I waxed it and wanted to hide the stubbles), and the front upper body (coarse hair near the belly, fine hairs near nipples and down the middle, the skin is also very slightly tanned).

I have two places in mind.

One is a cosmetic clinic which does liposuction, breast augmentation,…all those stuff and laser hair removal. They use Lyra ND Yag laser. What I like about that place is that they’re not expensive. One session would cost around $1000 CAD roughly.

Another place is a laser, vein, cosmetic place. They use Gentlelase plus. They are a bit more costly. One session would roughly cost $1300 CAD.

I guess the price might be different because of the location. The first one is in the suburbs and the second one is in downtown.

I’ve read somewhere in the post that ND: Yag is the best for dark skinned. I’m not sure if I’m dark skinned, but if it’s good for dark skinned people, then it must work for a lighter skin equally, if not better, right?

Also, the hairs on my legs are coarse, but the hairs on my arms and chest are rather fine. Which laser is most efficient for fine hairs?

The Lyra will work very well on the coarse hairs.

The best laser for fine hair is the Lightsheer. I did not get good results on fine hair with the Apogee, which, like the Gentlelase, is an alexandrite laser. If you have type IV skin, you will most likely get scabs from the Gentlelase if you are treated with clinically effective fluences.

The Lyra may get the fine hair if the fluence is turned up.

RJC2001

Thanks for your answer!!!

Now, if I can only figure out how experienced those technicians are…

Oh, and just one more question.
I’ve read that ND Yag works really well with coarse hairs and GentleLASE alexandrite laser works well with finer hairs.

So ND Yag complete removes coarse hairs, or do they just change them into finer hairs?

Also what about alexandrite?
Does it work well on really coarse hair as well?

Alexandrites removes both on fine and coarse hair, but can only be used on light skin. High settings are necessary to use to remove finer hair. With dark skin, Yag is the only option although it’s a bit less powerful (but protects dark skin from burning). It REMOVES coarse hair best, but a bit trickier to remove fine hair with it because it is less powerful. Alexandrites can’t be used on dark skin at high settings that remove fine hair because they will cause skin burns at these settings.

Thank you thank you~
I’ve decided to become pale as I can
and go for the alexandrite laser.

Thanks for your answer!!!

Now, if I can only figure out how experienced those technicians are…

Oh, and just one more question.
I’ve read that ND Yag works really well with coarse hairs and GentleLASE alexandrite laser works well with finer hairs.

So ND Yag complete removes coarse hairs, or do they just change them into finer hairs?

Also what about alexandrite?
Does it work well on really coarse hair as well?

The YAG will completely remove coarse hairs. The alex will work on coarse hairs. I had very coarse chest hairs, and my first laser treatment there was with the Apogee. A lot of the hairs were popping out of the follicles immediately and I could smell the singed hair. But after a few treatments mostly finer hairs remained. The Lightsheer did very well on those. Some very fine hair remained and I finished it off with electrolysis.

If you have dark skin you will get scabbing with the alex if high fluences are used. The scabs are not permanent and I had no scarring from it though. The Lightsheer did not do that though.

RJC2001

Thanks for your reply.

I realized yesterday in the shower that I actually do have a quite dark skin.

So I’m basically… thinking what to do.

I think I’ll never really figure anything out until I get out and get some laser. So I’ll go to the clinic with alexandrite and get some test areas to see if they are effective and won’t leave me any scars. If they work, I’ll do it there, and if they don’t, I’ll just go to the place with lyra and get the coarse hairs. I guess there’s nothing I can do about those fine hairs. I don’t think there’s any lightsheer lasers around downtown Toronto. I’m a student and can’t really go around much.

If apogee (which I read that it’s alex and yag combined) doesn’t get all the fine hairs (and you’ve fair skin, right?), then I guess I don’t stand a chance with my dark complexion and lyra or gentlelase. Do I?

Ah, thinking…thinking…

Apogee Elite model has both the Yag and Alex SETTINGS. Yes, for light skins, it’s harder to remove finer hair as well because it doesn’t have as much dark pigment as the coarse hair. But the results really depend on the technician. A good experienced technician can get fine hairs on darker skin types as well for some darker skinned people…but you won’t know before you try it in general.

Apogee Elite model has both the Yag and Alex SETTINGS. Yes, for light skins, it’s harder to remove finer hair as well because it doesn’t have as much dark pigment as the coarse hair. But the results really depend on the technician. A good experienced technician can get fine hairs on darker skin types as well for some darker skinned people…but you won’t know before you try it in general.

Yes, there are a few different model of Apogees,and the elite has both alex and Nd:YAG lasers. Also the technician should be able to tell you if the laser can get the fine hairs that you have. It depends on just how fine they are. My practitioner will tell her clients when their hairs are too fine for the laser and will then recommend electrolysis.

I would say to go with the YAG and get the coarse hairs that you can. You will like the result, even if you are left with fine hairs. You can always get those later with electrolysis. If you have medium coarse hairs, the YAG may get those too BTW.

RJC2001

Thank you, lagirl and RJC2001!!

I’m really learning a lot.

Really good stuff!!!

^^