Let hair grow out before treatment?

Hi. New to laser hair treatment. Had a few questions.

1. Do you have to let your hair grow out to normal length before treatment?

2. I have light skin and black hair, so I should be a great canditate. Which type of laser works the best for my type of skin? I live in So. California, so finding a specific laser shouldnt be too hard.

3. Will the lower back hair area(the belt line area section)be treated as part of the full back? Meaning will it be included in the price of the regular back?

4. Is it possilbe to just lighten and thin chest hair without removing it completely? I dont want to be bald. I just want much less =)

5. How much, roughly, should I be expecting to have to pay for 2 or 3 treaments of full chest with abs and full back (upper/lower) and my shoulders?

Thanks everyone!

Hi. New to laser hair treatment. Had a few questions.

1. Do you have to let your hair grow out to normal length before treatment?
  1. I have light skin and black hair, so I should be a great canditate. Which type of laser works the best for my type of skin? I live in So. California, so finding a specific laser shouldnt be too hard.
  1. Will the lower back hair area(the belt line area section)be treated as part of the full back? Meaning will it be included in the price of the regular back?
  1. Is it possilbe to just lighten and thin chest hair without removing it completely? I dont want to be bald. I just want much less =)
  1. How much, roughly, should I be expecting to have to pay for 2 or 3 treaments of full chest with abs and full back (upper/lower) and my shoulders?

Thanks everyone!

1. You can’t use any hair removal method that removes hair with the root at least 1.5 months before your first treatment and throughout all laser treatments. The roots need to be there in order to get killed. So yes, you do need to let them “grow out” if you were waxing, plucking etc, but not if you were shaving before. You will need to shave the entire area to be treated at least 1-2 days before treatment. Laser power needs to target the dark pigment in your roots and not waste energy on pigment in hairs above your skin.

2. You need to find someone with an alexadrite or a diode laser. Experience of the tech is very important, so make sure to look for that and have a few consultations. I’m in LA and there is someone here from SD, where are you located? It’s nice to find a recommended place through looking at these forums where you know the tech is good.

3. You will need to talk to the tech at the time of the consultation to figure out what’s going to be included in the price. Generally, you can agree on that and bargain. Plus, you can get discounts for multiple areas and for signing up for package treatments (I don’t like this option though, I prefer not to be tied up just in case I want to switch practitioners, it’s not working, etc)

4. Laser doesn’t necessarily lighten the hair in terms of color. It might make it thinner. There is not really a way to tell whether you will get an even and natural-looking reduction ahead of time. Technically, if you have less than the normal 8 treatments or so needed, maybe 2 or 3, you should get a reduction, but not complete removal. You do need to find an experienced tech in order to achieve an even reduction. They basically have to be carefull not to miss spots.

5. For complete removal, you will need 6-8 treatments. Both the back and the chest/abs area usually range from $300-500 per treatment each. You can get discounts for doing several areas and the prices vary widely from clinic to clinic, so it’s advisable to get several consultations before committing. I can’t stress enough though that an experienced tech is a priority. Take the consultation forms from the hairfacts website with you, do a lot of research to be able to judge whether the practitioner is knowledgeable about hair removal, etc.

thanks for the response. I am in the SD area.

Hi:

Lagirl answered this pretty well, so I am just adding my two cents here.

I used the Lightsheer Laser Diode and had my face done, and now my arms are being done. It works well on your skin/hair combination with the proper settings. I am finishing the face with electrolysis now.

You should stop plucking or waxing if that is what you are currently doing and just shave. Make sure you shave the area on the day of the treatment if possible, so that the laser can target the dark roots instead of the surface growth.

Results could be a bit patchy at first, but should even out if they use good technique.It won’t result in total baldness as you asked about, but should reduce the hair volume by a fair bit.

Make sure you avoid the sun afterwards however due to possible hyperpigmentation.

Alicia