Learn from my mistakes (electrolysis)

Hi folks!

I’m about 7-8 months into thermolysis on my upper lip. Long story short, in the first few months, I messed up my aftercare pretty badly. I thought it was okay to exfoliate immediately after treatment, to get rid of the “pimples.” Big oops. Probably about 3 months in I noticed some troubling spots that were especially dark, and some of those spots have turned into atrophic scars. I’m continuing my treatment (with much more care than before) until my lip is cleared, and then I’ll be looking at resurfacing.

I have two questions for you lovely experts.

Does the discolouration look like hyperpigmentation that will go away, or might I be stuck with this shadow?

What resurfacing options would you suggest to fix the pitting?

What do you suppose is causing the pimples? ( I have a guess or two)
While exfoliation is not recommended post electrolysis, at most it would affect only the outer epidermal layer. Pitting takes place at much deeper locations and along the line of the hair follicle. If you are seeing pitting, and pimples, its a form of scar tissue that has built in the follicles.

When it comes to resurfacing, one of the more common forms is fractional laser treatment. It will reduce the appearance of pitting, but if there is true pitting it will not remove it completely. A dermatologist is the one you would need to inquire about for that for the best advice.
I’m not certain that I SEE any pitting to speak of in your piicture. In any event, it’s better to wait 12-18 months from the end electrolysis treatments to givew the skin more time to heal before looking at such things. In my opinion you are only seeing temporary manifestations of the healing process itself. For more information on this, I recommend the late Michael Bono’s video series the healing skin, located here:

2 Likes

I agree with Seana. I don’t see anything trouble in these pictures. It looks like typical skin healing after treatment.

1 Like

I do not see any issues with your skin. If you look at adjacent areas that have not been treated, the skin texture between the treated and non-treated areas is very similar.

1 Like

I’m not sure. They didn’t really look like pimples, and I know now that they were just healing hair follicles. The amount of fluid leakage after a particular exfoliation session was alarming enough to make me stop.

I just want to add these photos to show what makes me think that my skin is pitting. This is with side lighting to really “show off the slopes” :wink:

Noted re: laser, and seeing a dermatologist a year post-electrolysis. Thanks so much!

Also, I didn’t realize Mike Bono had passed. As a long time lurker, I always enjoyed reading his posts and comments. My condolences to you who knew him.

I see the problem now.