Laser vs Electrolysis - Please advice

Hi everyone :grin:

Andrea, I’m impressed by this site and I admire the afforts you put into it. I think you’re helping a lot of people, not only within the USA, but all over the world.
James W. Walker, I’ll strongly appreciate it if you’ll help me with some of my following questions, your tips are always helpful.
I’d like to get responses also from laser professionals.
The more responses I’ll get to my post (from any member here), the more happy :smile: I’ll be.
As to me, I’m a 24/male student (soon to be 25) from Asia. For many years now I can’t feel comfortable on the beach or in the pool, so I’ve decided to take care of my unwanted hair. I’d like to get rid of the hair I got on my back and shoulders. I have light skin and dark hair on those areas.
I have some important questions:

1. First of, I see many youngsters around here, even younger than me, who’d like to get rid of body hair. Well, my hair is still growing on my back and shoulders, so why does 20 years old guys already getting it taking care of?
    Do I have to wait until it stops growing (I’m almost 25…)? How long should I wait?
    I’ve talked to a M.D. (skin) in some laser place, and she told me that I can start laser treatment, because anyway I’m going to lose the hair I already got, and if something new will grow, they’ll treat it too. She also said that the laser damages also hair follicles which don’t have visible growth right now, and because of that any new hair growing on my back in the future (in those places on my back I haven’t got hair before) won’t be as thick as the hair I’ve got today, so maybe I won’t even need to treat it. --> My question about that is first of all: Is what she said true? And also, How long after I start the treatment should they continue taking care of new hair? (2,4,5 years? - I guess there’s a limit)
    Maybe I should wait until I turn 28 and then start the treatment. My dad used to be very hairy, he had more hair than what I have right now. So, maybe it means I’ll get more hairy. :confused:
    Has anyone started the treatment at a young age and then got more hair growth, which was new? What did the laser place/electrologist do then?
  2. Due to my skin and hair type I’ve considered the laser treatment. However, following what I’ve seen in this site and wonderful forum, I’m not so sure. Electrolysis seem to be much more safe, successful and permanent than laser.
    Can someone tell me what advantages the laser has over electrolysis besides less pain and shorter time? Maybe it’s only the dream to wake up smooth and feel like you got rid of the unwanted hair all at once?
  3. I heard that back and shoulders are very difficult areas to treat with laser. Is it worth to use laser rather than electrolysis on those areas? And if I do, what results to expect? Can one can get hair removal from his back/shoulders or only mild reduction? (and in this case, I guess electrolysis is the best option) - Please advice from personal experience. Thanks :wink:
  4. I’d like to hear also advantages of electrolysis and how long it will take for my back and shoulders (vs laser). What’s the frequency of the treatments?
  5. Are there guys here who’s done electrolysis or laser on their back or shoulders and happy with the results?
    How long ago is it from your last treatment?
    Is there any new hair growing that wasn’t there before you started? What have you done with it?
  6. I know that regarding laser treatment there are still future consequences that are unknown. Is the damage could be only to skin or also to other body parts?
    Is there any idea what kind of damage can the laser cause? Is it permanent?
    What about cancer? Is there any danger of that using laser?
    If I have some beauty spots and moles on my back and shoulders, isn’t it dangerous to treat those areas with laser? Can it change beauty spotes shape and later on cause cancer, or is it impossible?

I’m sorry it was that long, but now, after all these questions, I feel much better. :wink:
Waiting for your replies… Thanks ahead.

I can’t help with most those questions, but:

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Are there guys here who’s done electrolysis or laser on their back or shoulders and happy with the results?
How long ago is it from your last treatment?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>I have had electrolysis and I am satisfied with it. I got the majority of hair removed in 3 treatments. I now have only touch up in the area below my neck. My shoulders were cleaned on both sides in 2 visits. I have only had literally 1 hair grow back.

I would like to know more about which laser I should use too. Hopefully, there will be an answer posted.

Hi Detail and all,

Thank you so much for your reply. I was happy to hear that you’re satisfied with the results. :smile:
I’d like to know: How long was each treatment? How much hair did you have before treatment? Which areas did you treat besides your shoulders?
I’m asking these questions because only 3 treatments to get the majority of hair removed sounds like a very short time.
I understood that you’re happy with the results. So if electrolysis is good for you, why switch to laser?

Once again, I’m waiting for replies to my post (Sep 21) from ANY OF YOU.
Andrea and James Walker - I’ll appreciate your reply.

Thanks & Cheers

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>How long was each treatment?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>1 hour, but I think I am going to see if I can get a little better deal on 2 hours. I would have no issue laying there for an extra hour.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>How much hair did you have before treatment?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>A lot of little ones, but only about 250-300 dark 1 to 2 inch long hairs.

Basically it was one and a half treatments to get rid of the dark hairs and the lighter brown/blonde ones are being worked on. My chest is pretty hairy. That is going to take some work.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Which areas did you treat besides your shoulders?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>None yet. Business costs come first, so that is where most my money goes. Soon, when business starts up (Since I have taken no loans) I will get worked on heavily. Right now, I work out and Run. Other than that I roast coffee for a little extra money (So I can expand inventory without it coming out of my pocket).

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>I’m asking these questions because only 3 treatments to get the majority of hair removed sounds like a very short time.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Well, it wasn’t much for the shoulders, the back has a strip that goes down each of my shoulder blades, but they are very light brown or blonde.

The hairs aren’t noticable unless you look closely.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>I understood that you’re happy with the results. So if electrolysis is good for you, why switch to laser?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Because I am in a hurry and I was told that the chest where the ribs are, are very painful. :fearful:

But looking at how many treatments I am going to have to go through with Laser, I think Electrolysis is starting to look like a real possiblity.

[ October 10, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: detail ]