Laser vs Electrolysis (consumer opinion)

Hello,
I’ve been using this site for a while now to read about people’s experiences with different hair removal techniques, especially laser and electrolysis. I find this platform really useful so now I’m eager to share my opinions on both laser and electrolysis as a consumer who has tried both of these techniques. I am not an expert but I think it is nice to read the opinions of consumers aswell as the professionals and this may be useful for anyone apprehensive about starting laser hair removal.
For reference I am 3 on the Fitzpatrick scale and have black body hair (though in places like face and stomach the hair is quite fine but still dark) and the hair is due to genetics, nothing to do with a hormonal imbalance.
I did a few sessions of electrolysis before changing to laser hair removal (Nd:YAG laser). I personally think laser is a much better option than electrolysis for the following reasons:

1) Much quicker process
Electrolysis is very time consuming. With laser hair removal the entire part of the body is treated in one session, whereas for electrolysis you can only get patches of hair done at a time because each hair is removed individually. (For laser you need to have these sessions repeated every 4/6/8 weeks and approx 6-12 sessions in total). So if for example you wanted all hair from your arms removed by electrolysis, you’d have to go to many appointments to slowly work your way up the arm getting rid of all the hair. So you’d have bald patches on your arm until the whole arm is treated. Depends on how much hair you have, but I was predicted 10 hours worth of electrolysis to remove hair from ONE full arm. It takes about 20 mins for one laser hair removal session for both arms.

2) Cheaper
Electrolysis is usually charged per hour and because of the amount of hours needed for full clearances the money very quickly starts to add up. Whereas with laser, you pay for the area being treated. E.g. full arm is £90 per session regardless of how much hair you have there.

3) Laser requires less skill
Electrolysis needs a very skilled practitioner to do the method correctly so that you actually get results and aren’t left with scarring, pitting etc. I went somewhere that was board qualified and had good reviews yet my skin still suffered a lot of hyperpigmentation.

4) Hyperpigmentation from electrolysis
This is my biggest point. Electrolysis is a very invasive hair removal method and being left with hyperpigmentation is a very common side effect for people 3+ on the Fitzpatrick skin type scale. Hyperpigmentation takes around a year to fade. More money is then spent on skin products to try and reduce the hyperpigmentation and it just creates a new problem, hair might be gone, but now the skin is different colour to how it originally was.
Having said all that, I have seen posts on here where people have got hyper/hypo pigmentation problems from IPL/laser. I fortunately didn’t experience this and after my laser treatments, I’d apply aloe vera gel for a couple of days after and that would be that- hair free skin with no pigmentation or scarring or pitting.

5) Pain Levels
I’d say my pain threshold when it comes to hair removal is pretty high. If it results in my hair being gone I will happily sit through the pain. Laser is only slightly painful and the machine that was used on me had a cold air pipe than blew cold air onto the skin as the laser was zapping which reduced the pain a lot, infact I could hardly feel the laser. Different areas are going to have different pain levels. E.g. armpits for me hurt a lot but it’s such a small area so it’s over with in minutes. Electrolysis on the other hand…I had it done on the sides of my face and even with applying Emla numbing cream prior to my appointment the pain was a lot. Electrolysis is a lot more painful than laser.

6) Can shave between appointments during laser hair removal
During the first few sessions when hair is likely to grow back between sessions, you are allowed to shave it off if it really bothers you. With electrolysis however the hair has to be present for it to be treated, meaning you have to let all the hairs grow out before starting electrolysis, which some people may not feel comfortable doing, especially on areas like the face which you can’t really hide.

Paradoxical Hair growth with laser
The reason I did electrolysis in the first place was because I was always scared that laser would cause paradoxical hair growth on my finer hair because I am the type of person whose hair grows back quicker and thicker after shaving (people say this is a ‘shaving myth’ but I think for some people this is a genuine thing). Laser did not cause my hair to grow back worse or faster. I don’t have hormonal hair which I think is the main reason I have been fine with laser, and also the fact that my hair is dark. The laser used on me was Nd:YAG, which I think is one of the strongest lasers, as the laser penetrates deep into the follicle.

Permanent hair reduction vs permanent hair removal
Laser hair removal is permanent hair reduction (advertised at removing 70-95% of hair I think, depending on the person), not 100% permanent removal like electrolysis is supposed to be, so I’d recommend laser hair removal first and then when you’ve had the recommended number of treatments and there a still some hairs coming back then you could tackle these with electrolysis if you’re after getting rid of every single hair. Though any hair that does grow back after laser should be very fine and easy to just shave off.

Maintenance sessions with laser hair removal
I only started laser hair removal a bit over a year ago and my sessions haven’t been fully consistent due to lockdowns&covid etc. It hasn’t been long enough for me to comment on whether I need maintenance sessions. (Maintenance sessions are sessions that people have year(s) after they finish their laser hair removal course if they notice regrowth).

IPL/laser
Everything I said about laser is about my experience with Nd:YAG.
IPL is NOT the same as laser. It is much weaker than laser and I would not recommend IPL for permanent hair removal.
IPL however is capable of fading the marks/pigmentation caused by ingrows and trapped hairs.

This turned out to be a lot longer than planned but thought I’d share just in case anyone is interested or wanted an opinion on someone who has tried both. :slightly_smiling_face:

I disagree with your point 4)
Laser/IPL if done properly, some clients with Fitzpatrick skin type III-VI can also experience PIH.
Quote from my Blog: “Customers must understand that, in order to achieve results of permanent hair removal/reduction, your follicles must be inflamed after electrolysis or laser hair removal treatments. Once follicles & skin received trauma, they will heal by firstly inflame (red & swollen); some scabs may form; post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) may also form. These are not permanent and are parts of normal skin healing process, unlike permanent scars. No follicular inflammation, no results!”

“Less follicle inflammation = Less results”

2 Likes

The ND:YAG is NOT “stronger” as you suggest. It just operates on a different wavelength.

1 Like

It’s important that consumers read consumer reviews like this one before deciding on a procedure. Electrolysis is not going to be the right choice for everyone, so understanding the good and the bad of both procedures is a good idea.

I would caution that you won’t truly know the results of laser until several months after the last treatment, which should be approximately six to eight treatments in total. A lot of people find that the results don’t offer a significant reduction, so they end up doing laser every two months. In that case, I think it’s a good alternative to waxing if you don’t suffer any adverse side effects.

2 Likes

Laser is not cheaper or faster. I did laser for 10 years and got paradoxical hairgrowth (i am south asian) . Why I did it for so long? Didn’t know about the existence of electrolysis as this is not very known in my country. Also every beautician/laser or skintherapist/dermatologist/doctor told me that laser is the only way to remove permanent hair and that I should keep going on with laser treatment.

My hair wasn’t even reduced with laser. I did laser everywhere except my torso. Only electrolysis gave me beautiful results. I got temporary hyperpigmention but now it is all gone.

1 Like

Laser is good for some clients and will not work on certain people. I have client referrals from the laser clinic because the laser will not work for everyone,

1 Like

Thank you, I also agree. I have had no regrowth several months after my last laser treatment.

Definitely. I know a person who was very happy with electrolysis, but it is definitely not going to be everyone’s cup of tea. Laser usually provides successful results on dark hair, however not for everyone. I started with electrolysis for this reason but changed to laser and was happy with the results of laser.

That’s a shame it didn’t work for you :slightly_frowning_face: Just wondering how long did it take for your hyperpigmentation to completely disappear because mine took longer than a year? I am aware that for some people laser unfortunately either makes no difference or causes paradoxical hair growth which is why I started with electrolysis. But I just wanted to just remind people that laser can actually work really well and deliver good results. I also have had nearly my entire body done with laser and the ladies at the clinic I went to were very honest and told me what hair on my body would/wouldn’t work with the laser.

Though i would disagree. It is definitely faster and cheaper. The cost to do a full arm clearance on both arms was the same price as 6 full body sessions of laser (full body being arms legs underarms and bikini).

Could you give any advice on PIH? Are there any products that effectively reduce it? How long does PIH take to naturally disappear? Just from a consumers point of view, personally for me having PIH for a year is not worth it. I’d rather do a less effective method of hair removal that is less problematic for the skin.

It depends on what individual customers want if u r happy with less results, not a permanent reduction/removal because less follicle inflammation mean less result or no result.

Some r still happy with the hair because they do not want to suffer the temporary follicular inflammation & PIH.

For me, I had suffered follicle inflammation for few wks & PIH for a few yrs after my last session in 1999. But I’m now 41 yrs old and still hair free.

PIH gradually fads away but disappearance can take some time from a few months upto a few years (around 2 years) depending on how deep PIH forms in the epidermis. If you don’t want to wait that long, there are quicker solutions for this. For more info, please read => https://beauty-electrolysis-laser.blogspot.com/2020/02/what-are-recommended-products-post.html

But I had never used anything for PIH & my treated areas had healed & look perfectly normal.

I have saw some of my clients hv unwanted hair for yrs & yrs & they have had laser/electrolysis done for yrs somewhere else because they do not want to suffer TEMPORARILY follicle inflammation.
I do not provide under treatment, so all my clients who have commitment and didn’t give up in the middle, all gained permanent results, either total removal or reduction. Clients who didn’t want or can’t cope with temporary follicle inflammation & PIH will give up. They might go somewhere else in hope that one day they will see result.

Provided that the client has completely gone through puberty before commencing treatment (tx), which is around mid 20’s for female and mid 30’s for male:
– It takes 1 1/2 - 2 yrs on average to have every single hair permanently removed by electrolysis in a certain area
– Around 6 sessions for LHR to have significant permanent reduction

Clients who do not want to suffer follicle inflammation & PIH will take forever and won’t see results.

Please note:
– Clients can end up with PERMANENT scarring from Electrolysis under treatment (I saw scars from those clients with yrs & yrs of facial electrolysis tx, but should I say anything to them? But I think deep down they know, so I say nothing and these group of clients will soon go somewhere else anyway because they aren’t happy that I give them follicle inflammation & PIH)
– Multiple sessions of under treatments of LHR/IPL can induce hypertrichosis
– Long-term plucking & digging your skin can end up with scars

So I think if the clients do not want follicular inflammation & PIH, they should try to leave the hair untouched because if they start doing something to the hair the problem could only get worse.

There are 2 major issues you have neglected in your overview. being so thorough in your reporting, I was quite surprised that you neglected to cover your views on them. Firstly you are comparing a temporary method to a permanent method. The 2nd issue is the side effects off laser verses the side effects of electrolysis. I would have considered this would have been the first area of concern. Before making your decision to do laser over electrolysis, did you research the effects of heat on skin? The breakdown of elastin and collagen? the premature ageing of the skin? The genetic cell damage? The effects of gas plumes on the respiratory system of both operator and patient? The pigmentation issues? The stimulation of new growth in new areas? Most of these issues we see on a daily basis. Laser has been a great solution for those that are comfortable with the risk factors. For others, the time and cost having electrolysis far outweighs other options. I agree your choice was right for you

From my professional experience, most of the clients like the laser removal technique instead of electrolysis.

My experience too. However, in 5-years or so that preference changes!

Laser hair removal is cheaper and safer. If we compare these two, laser hair removal efficiency is not worse than electrolysis and is much cheaper and easier to complete the whole procedure. After competing in the aesthetician courses at Advanced Aesthetician School | Beauty College, I understood that the electrolysis procedure has more skin risks than the laser removal procedure.

What you “understood” was biased and inaccurate information from an aesthetics school. No real evidence exists to justify the assertion that electrolysis has “more skin risks than the laser removal procedure.” The us-against-them war between the two methods died off many years ago and I don’t believe anyone is interested in resurrecting it.

1 Like