laser treatment and pcos

I haven’t been diagnosed with PCOS but both of my sisters have it and I suspect I do also. I have dark, coarse, hair on my chin that I’ve had treated twice with Laser. My next appt is next month. After the first two treatments the hair began to disappear completely but now it’s grown back. It isn’t completely grown back but still very noticable. Is it possible that Laser isn’t going to work for me? I’m not sure if I want to fork over the money for another treatmeant if it won’t be effective. Please help. Any suggestions for me? TIA

I’m probably Jumping in before Andrea’s seen your message :roll_eyes:

(Sorry Andrea! I feel rotten!)

Lee, you might like to check the comments she’s put under “PCOS and electrology”. I think they’re probably just as relevant.

To summarise, the good news is that you can get rid of the hair…

But to get the best value for money out of your laser treatments you’ll have to get your hormone levels in check first. (There’s some suggestions on how to do that in “PCOS and electrology”.)

You might find that another few laser treatments will help get things reduced to the point where you feel good.

On the other hand, when I had laser, I used to get so depressed when it all grew back, that I decided to try electrolysis instead.

Toni, I’m thrilled when readers jump in before I do-- I have other commitments that keep me from being here every day, so never by shy to jump right in!

Women with PCOS need to get their hormone levels in check first in order to have best hair removal results.

You may have slower or less effective reults with laser or electrolysis than women who don’t have your condition. That means it may take more time and money for you. I know that’s no fun, but it’s possible to get it all in time.

I am a 36 year old female with excess body hair in the thigh and bikini area only, that has been there since puberty.
I have just been to see my doctor and was referred to a dermatologist. The dermatologist took some blood from my arm and called me 4 days later with the results: i do not have raised hormone levels associated with PCOS and my hair growth “is likely to be genetic” rather than hormonal.
i am not surprised, as i do not exhibit any of the typical symptoms of PCOS: male hair growth patterns, menstrual problems, acne, obesity.
However, i did not KNOW about PCOS until i started digging very deep into my hair problem and i am writing this to suggest to ANY WOMEN CONSIDERING LASER TREATMENT or other forms of hair removal: go and see your Doctor first, and make sure they refer you for hormone tests. This could save you a lot of time and frustration in the long term, as the hair growth problem may be treated more effectively with hormone treatment.

PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome):
i am not going to attempt to write about PCOS because there is enough great information all over this site (thanks Andrea).

skippy, it’s certianly not a bad idea to get a blood workup when you get a regular checkup, especially if it’s covered on your insurance! Unwanted hair is usually a hereditary issue, but it can also be a sign of other problems.