Laser Hair Removal for PCOS

Hello all,

I heard that Laser Hair Removal isn’t good for those with PCOS. Is that true or is that only for certain areas?

Laser hair reduction works to reduce the bulk of hair if you are good candidate. I have not heard of this being a contraindication for PCOS? Where did you hear this information?

1 Like

The contradiction is that there are lots of women with PCOS getting laser on the face and neck who end up with paradoxical hypertrichosis – or stimulated hair. This may not be true of non-hormonal areas like the body, but it is common with women for the face and neck, especially with PCOS.

two examples on YouTube are ‘the Hairy godmother’ and ‘Melis Ates’

Is two people on YouTube a reliable source?

I have PCOS and I have hair on the breast and abdomen area. Are those hormonal areas as well?

Treating unwanted hair from root cause: Beauty, Laser & Electrolysis Permanent Hair Removal: Treating Unwanted Hair From Inside Out (for Female)

We teach our medical laser and electrology students this is actually not true if the laser is set to a higher energy setting. We did two different studies on two different nurses with PCOS who were medical students here at the Southeastern School of Laser & Electrology and our hypothesis did prove to be true since both nurses noticed a signficant reduction in their hair. Awesome question though and thank you.

1 Like

There are very very few publications because research for this phenomenon is surely expensive and against the interests of the laser industry… so yes I’d say for now these true cases on youtube are good sources for people who have PCOS.

So, may I suggest that you also consider doing a search on pubmed.com to see if laser reduction is a problem for those with PCOS? If the laser fluence is set too low, it could wake up hair. If it is done correctly, it may work very well to give you a 70-90% reduction, but you will still need electrolysis for the remaining hair. I

2 Likes

This study only involved two people? Even in social sciences this would not pass basic standards. Over the years on hairtell and on social media platforms like reddit, I have yet to recall even a handful of stories about successful treatment of PCOS with laser especially on faces. I only encounter stories of stimulation or lack of results.

I would love to see more success stories of laser treating PCOS cases.

1 Like

I have many, many electrolysis clients that had stimulated hair from laser treatments. They gave up and started electrolysis. To be fair, I do not know the percentage of laser success stories with laser hair reduction on the face for PCOS cases. I always tell potential clients to use electrolysis on the face and save laser hair reduction for the body. All clients are suitable for electrolysis and some? many? will be good candidates for laser reduction if they have coarse, dense dark hair on pale skin. Both modalities are highly successful if the practitioners are skilled and honest.

1 Like

We’re have just started a study here at the school doing 50 patients. Will take a little over a year but thank you all for the support and kind words on here. Truly an awesome site!
Southeastern School of Electrology and Laser Inc

1 Like