Laser for facial hair

I got the letter below on 26 December 2002:
</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>
Great site. Really informative.

I’m looking into laser removal and I’m already starting to see what you mean about the inflating advertisements made by just about every company selling this service.

What I find staggering is that you have not heard from one TS/TV that has managed to go a year from final treatment without resorting to other methods…. not one….

One thing I would like to ask you. From your research have you found it to be the case that regrowth rates are continually on the increase following a year after the final treatment, or a constant rate?

Let me explain what I mean by a constant rate….

1 month after last treatment 0% regrowth
6 months after last treatment 10% regrowth
1 year after last treatment 20% regrowth
2 years after last treatment 20% regrowth
3 years after last treatment 20% regrowth

i.e. it reaches a peak and then remains at that point

Now what I mean by continual increase

1 month after last treatment 0% regrowth
6 months after last treatment 10% regrowth
1 year after last treatment 20% regrowth
2 years after last treatment 30% regrowth
3 years after last treatment 40% regrowth

i.e. the regrowth rate continues to rise until theoretically all hair has returned.

This is what I have not been able to deduce from any of the scientific data (unless I’m looking in the wrong place). Most of the studies seem to be ‘snapshot’ based, only looking at a specific point in time, rather than ‘trend’ based, which looks for a pattern.

Regards
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>I have heard from one woman who had permanent results with laser alone, who was in her teens and had minimal facial hair. If you have light skin and dark hair, it may be worthwhile to get a course of laser treatments at the onset. However, it is highly unlikely laser alone will remove all your facial hair.

There is a cumulative effect from laser in some consumers, but there also appears to be diminishing returns with each treatment. Specific numbers are impossible to give, since results vary so significantly and haven’t been studied under controlled clinical conditions on a large sample size over an extended time.

If you have a permanent result, the trend should become apparent at six months, and it should be clear a year after treatment what you can expect. However, some consumers, even ideal candidates, have had no permanent result. The reasons for this are not clear.

If you have a temporary result, regrowth will begin to appear in 3 to 6 months.

Finding an experienced practitioner recommended by a TS woman who is done and happy is your best bet for a decent result. At the very least, it may make electrolysis faster and easier.

[ December 28, 2002, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

Over the course of about the last two years I have had a total of 6 or 7 sessions with my electrologist using the Light Sheer laser. I am a blonde but had a salt and pepper beard. The laser was quite effective at removing all the dark hairs. We are still working to get rid of all the blonde ones with electrolysis. The light sheer was painful but I didn’t think it was as bad as electrolysis.

Cheers,

Paula