laser first before electrolysis???

at first i have been getting amazing vibes from this site that electrolysis is best… why because

1. long standing research that it works (most of time)

2. alot of professional electrolysis swear by it. :smile:

BUT!.. recently i have been reading that its better to do laser first then electrolysis!

I understand that laser is faster and covers more hair… but i want something that works! removes the hair!

so why should it matter that i do laser first than electrolysis… laser is more expensive than electrylosis… is it not? plus if i am going to be doing both, would it take longer, more money, more complications? and there isnt a long standing research with it (laser)… not like electrolysis… right?

i am just wondering… cause i would like to get a consultation and am not sure if i go to a laser person first or just stick to electrolysis for the whole ordeal…

appreciate any info… thanks so much

by the way… the hair i am considering to remove is think and black and for the most part on light skin colour. (armpit…maybe other places???)

Rachel

[ July 10, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: rachelle ]

hey rachel,

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> BUT!.. recently i have been reading that its better to do laser first then electrolysis! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>I wouldn’t say one method is better than the other. It’s just about the limits of electrolysis technology (can only work on one hair at a time), laser technology (need certain contrast of hair/skin colors), your wallet, your hairs, the amount of time you have, etc. Someone should invent a web program where you plug in all those factors and it spits back which one is better for you.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> I understand that laser is faster and covers more hair… but i want something that works! removes the hair! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>In the end, both methods probably get the job done just as well (as long as your hair and skin color are the right mix for laser).

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> so why should it matter that i do laser first than electrolysis… laser is more expensive than electrylosis… is it not? plus if i am going to be doing both, would it take longer, more money, more complications? and there isnt a long standing research with it (laser)… not like electrolysis… right? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Laser is more expensive up front. If you had a lot of hair to remove (like doing your legs), electrolysis would be more expensive over the long run, paying out in dribs and drabs for months (years?), I don’t know. Stuff I’ve read suggests that electrolysis is cheaper in the long run for most body areas. So if money is a factor, electrolysis might be for you. On the flip side, laser is faster, so if you don’t have the time to stick to a regular electrolysis schedule over the course of months, laser might be better.

Some people get laser sessions first, then have to switch to electrolysis to get rid of the hairs that laser couldn’t kill. For me, I decided to cut to the chase and do the electrolysis right off the bat. Also, since i wanted to get rid of hair on my face, I was worried about the period of time you have to wait with laser for the treated hairs to finally fall out. I read posts on here of people who took a few days off work because their skin had a bad reaction or they were just too damn hairy for the public. Those options didn’t work for me, but since you wanna do your underarms, laser might be more of an option for you.

Yes, it is true that there’s more history/research about electrolysis and its effects.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> i am just wondering… cause i would like to get a consultation and am not sure if i go to a laser person first or just stick to electrolysis for the whole ordeal… </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>You could go talk to one of each and get an estimate on time and total cost to be totally hair-free. Just keep in mind that both the electrologist and the laser tech are sales people and will try to sell you on their method and their salon. But use their estimates and posts you read here and on the laser board to decide which one is better for you.

good luck,
susie :relaxed:

[ July 12, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: VespaSusie ]

thank you thank you thank you for your reply!! i am going to do just that. but first i am off to a vacation trip and when i come back i am going to see both a laser person and electrolysis person and see what they say in terms of treatment and costs and i’ll keep in mind they are sales people. :smile:

thanks again susie!!

hey yall… i didnt want to start a new thread so i’ll just ask it here…

WHERE CAN I FIND TENDSKIN??? ever since i discovered this website and how everyone talks about tendskin as a good healer… i have been searching for about a week now for it… cant find it anywhere!.. i am in ontario Canada and i have searched shoppers drug mart, lablaws, several big name pharmacies… am i looking in the wrong places? is it something that i can only order online or something?

anyway, because i am having a hard time finding it… i might even make it as some of the posts suggeested… mixing alcohol and aspirin.

later

rachelle;

For all the TendSkin products you’ll ever need just goto www.prestigeelec.com, then click onto “Online Store”, then click on TendSkin Products, and voila…

I have seen Tend Skin for sale at beauty salons, so you might call around. You can also do a google search www.google.com to compare prices, but I’m guessing there won’t be any huge differences in price. Presitige,as suggested,would be fine,too.

Dee

You can find Tend Skin on eBay. They might have some good deals out there.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by rachelle:
<strong>laser is more expensive than electrylosis… is it not?
Rachel</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>that’s a tough question because the effectiveness of both types of treatment varies greatly from person to person, as do prices. i can only tell you what i’m paying.

the place where i normally go to for laser charges £35/15 mins. that enough time to do the chin and neck. i think it’s a bargain. the place where i’m going to get my legs lightsheered charges £199 per session, with a free consulatation and 50% off the first treatment. after 5 treatments, touchups are free for 2 years. i’m fairly sure that my legs will take more than 90 mins, so i’m going with the place that charges by area rather than time. that way i can take a break if i need it and not worry that i’m wasting money.

my electroligist charges £60/hr. i’m not sure how many hairs she clears in that length of time, but it’s nowhere near enough to do my legs in one go.

my legs are going to cost £900 with laser. i don’t even want to think about how much it’d cost with electrolysis. so i’m going with laser, as it is quicker and significantly cheaper.

When do the free touch ups start. Two years from when you begin treatment or two years from your 5th treatment?

Many of the contracts I have seen or herd about say two years from the FIRST treatment. This seriously limits the number of actual “Free” treatments.

James, I know it varies from person to person, but roughly how many electrolysis hours would you budget for legs?

I recall you stating once you thought legs were pretty easy and was wondering if you had a general idea of the time involved.

I’m thinking that the laser cost above equates to fifteen electrolysis hours, which seems about right for a pair of lower legs. Looking at my wife’s legs, which we’ll start on later this year, the hair looks like it should epilate pretty easily, and the follicles are not that dense.

• Eric