Laser - female arm hair? Please help

Hi all,

I’m female, 26, and I’m thinking about getting laser hair removal on my arms. However, I am very afraid that it will induce more hair growth or that it will come out patchy. The hairs are fine and long, brown with a golden shine. They are not only on my forearms, but also on the back of my upper arms - they reach the part where T-shirt sleeves end. Between these dark hairs and on the very tops of my upper arms, I have very fine, blond peach fuzz, which does not bother me, but I guess it could be potentially triggered by laser and change into more visible hair. My skin is very fair.

I hope the attached photos are visible. I will be very grateful for any advice or if you share your experience.

I’ve had problems with excessive hair since puberty. If I shave or pluck hairs on ANY part of my body, they become thicker and darker. That’s why waxing or shaving my arms is not an option. I had blood tests taken by both gynecologist and endocrinologist, but PCOS was not confirmed and my levels of male hormones was borderline, but not high enough to be treated by medication. I suppose my hairiness is at least partly inherited, it runs in my family.

Just to sum up my laser hair removal experience: I started shaving my legs when I was about 13, and by 17, my leg hair has gotten so dark and thick that it was visible under the skin even after shaving and I suffered from terrible ingrown hairs all over. When I was 22-24, I had my leg hair removed by diode laser Lightsheer Duet. After 8 treatments, I was very satisfied with the results, I achieved circa 90% reduction. That’s why I decided to try it on fine hairs of my happy trail and a few hairs on my chin. That did not go well. Just 1 laser treatment, or maybe shaving the hairs once just before the treatment, resulted in more hairs on my chin, even white vellus hairs became thicker. Under my belly button, I’ve had maybe 4-5 laser treatments, but only occasionally, not in recommended intervals. There are some bald patches, but after the last treatment, I believe some of the hairs have gotten longer and darker, and they’ve spread into a wider area.

Recently I’ve started seeing an electrologist for the hairs on my chin, but she refused to do it on wider areas - she said she doesn’t have a needle thin enough for finer hair and it’s too time-consuming. I live in a small country in central Europe, and it’s impossible to find and electrologist willing to treat my arms or belly. I am still thinking about laser, but I am very hesitant. There’s a place with the alexandrite laser CANDELA GentleLASE in my city, might that be a better option for me than diode laser? Or should I abandon the idea altogether?

Sorry for the long post.

I dont think your hairs are dark enough for laser, but I am not a laser expert. I’d loo into maybe finding an electrologist that can treat fine hairs. The excuse your electrologist is using is pretty much a fluff…you can buy needles from anywhere. It’s more likely her vision isnt good enough on areas like this. .

1 Like

I would recommend High settings with Candela Gentlelase. Your may have gotten stimulation with Diode. At this point an Alexandrite laser is your best option.

Agree with Seana (lluv2zap)

I want to thank all of you for your opinions and advice.
Since there’s no one in my country who can / is willing to treat larger areas with electrolysis, it looks like laser is the only option to consider. In December I tried Candela Gentlelase on my stomach, but the result was close to none (only 3 hairs or so fell out). Maybe it’s because the dermatologist insisted to start with the lowest settings, even though I told her everything about my previous experience with the Lighsheer Duet laser and my hormonal imbalance. But it’s hard to judge the effects from one session, of course. She was quite hesitant about treating my arms, saying she is not sure it would work at all, since the hairs are not dark enough. Since I’ve gotten very differing opinions on this matter from various laser practitioners as well as from you, I will probably try more sessions on my stomach before I’ll consider treating my arms. Getting treatments is nearly impossible now because of the pandemic restrictions, so I’ll have to wait at least several months. When I have any update about the results in the future, I’ll post it here.

Sad_girl where are you located exactly if you dont mind saying? IT\s possible me or one of my colleagues might know someone within reasonable travel range or I could ask for referrals in our international electrologists group perhaps?
The laser professional sounds like they have told you the same thing I and also thinou ( nora) our resident laser pratitioner has also stated, that you are not a good candidate for laser hair removal. This isnt going to change, and the exact route you have remaining, IS electrolysis availability notwithstanding. It seems to me the best that we can do to help you would be to help find someone who can kill the hair with electrolysis.

Thank you for your willingness to help. :slight_smile: I am located in the East of Slovakia. It’s 6 hours by train to Bratislava, 4 to Budapest and 9 hours to Prague. It’s quite difficult for me to travel very far for regular treatments every week or so, because I work a full-time job and most practitioners don’t work during weekends. But anyway, if you happen to know about any good electrologists in the central Europe area, I’d be grateful to know about these options.
Regarding the laser on my arms - to clarify: two practitioners I personally discussed it with told me they think the results would be good, and one was hesitant. They have been practicing laser for several years, but it’s hard to tell if they were being honest about the results. The clinics seemed professional, but there is very little information on Slovak forums on permanent hair removal, so I don’t have feedback from other customers. So of course, I largely rely on this forum and your experience.

Hi sd_girl, I’ve made the request to our international electrologists group. I’ll let you know what if anything comes from this request.

Hey Seana…
Did you ever find any European electrologists? I am also in Eastern Europe and need this done real bad on similar hair to OP. In my city there are ONLY TWO salons doing electrolysis. I am about to go to both for a test patch but I just have a really bad feeling that the electrologists there won’t be highly skilled nor care about their work. I hope to be proven wrong of course. I just saw on Beate R’s website that she’s retiring this year.

Not really. Its very difficult to make contacts on the other side of the world from me. I know I have one transgender client who comes to me every few months from the Czech Republic, primary because of poor treatment they recieved over there. It doesnt seem that area of the world has the best training for electrologists.

1 Like