Laser Electrolysis & Resulting Spider Veins

I’ve recently noticed the beginnings of spider veins on my legs, which I had treated using Candela Gentlelase at a fluency of 18. While I like the smoothness of my legs, I don’t want them to become covered in spider veins. My skin is very pale (skin type: 2) and my hair very dark. I’m Gothic. Is there any way I can continue being treated without exacerbating the situation or should I quit while I’m ahead?

Thanks in advance for any responses,
David

Hi David.

There is no such thing as laser electrolysis. Laser is laser(light based) and electrolysis is electrolysis (probe based hair removal). Two different modalities, unrelated. Another confusing mix of words marketers throw at consumers!!

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if continuing laser for your spider veins on your legs will cause more spider veins to occur? Did you encounter more spider veins after an area was treatd? How has your doctor answered your concern?

Hi,

Yes, you’re correct. I’m undergoing laser hair removal - not laser electrolysis - on my legs. I’ve never noticed any spider veins prior to a laser hair removal treatment. My laser technician says they can be treated with Vitamin K cream, but all my research on the internet indicates that the only way to treat spider veins is through more laser with a plastic surgeon. I’m sure it’s the laser hair removal which is causing the spider veins: spider veins are caused by trauma to the skin. What I’m asking for is an objective informed opinion on whether or not I can continue being treated for excess hair without sustaining more spider veins (perhaps at a lower fluency, without any Emla, or with a different laser or practicioner) or are certain people’s skin just too sensitive for laser hair removal, not making it worthwhile for me to continue? Like I said, What I have are just the beginnings of spider veins (hardly noticeable) so I’d like to determine now whether or not I should cut my losses or seek another avenue.

Kindest regards,
David

Spider veins have many causes. Heredity, the hormone estrogen and possibly the hormone progesterone are thought to play a role. They are common in pregnant women and those taking birth control pills or hormone replacement therapy. Sclerotherapy (injecting a hypertonic salt solution into the vein) is still the gold standard for treatment of spider veins with maintenance treatments needed about every two years. It is safe and easy.

How can you be sure laser hair removal caused these spider veins? I was glancing through the
pubmed.com website and honestly could not find any research about spider veins being a side effect of laser hair removal, but maybe you could do some scouting around on the internet. BE SURE AND REPORT YOUR CONCERN TO YOUR DOCTOR. I don’t know if this will continue to be a problem if you continue with laser or if there is something else brewing underneath the skin totally unrelated.

Others may have experienced this, too, so hopefully they will come forward and explain. I haven’t heard of this before.

Hi! Laser hair removal will not cause spider veins; in face, certain laser can be calibrated and powered high enough to remove spider veins, reticular vessels and facial telangiactasias. Unfortunately as we get older (don’t you hate those words) certain situations can cause vessels to start showing up; heredity, lifestyle, work habits, hormones, etc. It is usually coincidental that these things coincide. Possibly the density of hair in the areas being treated masked the onset of the vessels. If you are concerned, see a reputable vascular surgeon about the vessels, and check to see if the laser being used on you can also treat vessels. Ciao :wink: