Laser Clinic v Dermatology

I have an appointment with a laser clinic. A technician will be performing my laser treatment. Should I be worried? I have been reading that it’s best to see a Dermatologist. My Dermatologist who I see for acne does not have laser in her clinic. I called a few other Dermatoligist offices and they say that a “technician” performs the procedure. I went in today for a consultation and it went really well. I don’t know what to do…Any suggestions would be helpful. The clinic that I am scheduled with wants me to sign a consent form… Is that a normal procedure with any laser visit?

I don’t know what the rules are in Washington state, but it could be helpful if you check with your state Board of Medicine, or its equivalent to see who is authorized to operate the laser. Here in Florida only a Medical Doctor, Certified Nurse Practitioner, Physician’s Assistant or Electrologist with CME certification can handle the laser. It does not necessarily follow that a Dermatologist will know or be any more proficient than a non-medical doctor technician. Experience with the process and machine, and attention to the proper parameters of the treatment are equally as important. Try to find out who can operate these machines in your state, and then go from there.

oops - sorry, I didn’t reply to the rest of your question. You must absolutely sign a consent form. This will state all of the possible negative consequences of the treatment, and will state also that everything concerning the treatment has been explained to you, including pre- and post-treatment instructions. It should state that you understand everything explained to you and any questions you have were answered to your satisfaction. This is standard in any practice. Ciao!

Hairfetish,

Thank you sooooooooooo much for all the information you have given me. You have been a god sent :slight_smile: Also thank you for explaining to me about the syneron/aurora machine. I was under the impression that it was laser. I will continue doing my research before I have a procedure. Did you say there was a laser out there for blonde hair? If so what is the name of it so I can keep checking around. I want my hair to be gone permanently…not temp. Thank you again for being so helpful.

If in doubt dont do it. I went to see a dermatologist for scarring from electrolysis who suggested I get laser done to revove the remaining hair. The on-site laser technician comlained about a burn to her finger during the consultation and then asked me to sign an agreement that the laser could cause burns or blindness. That scared me off and I had coolglide done elswhere, yet to see how permanent that is.