Laser beard removal for rare chronic folliculitis

Hello everyone, new member here, i have read quite a few threads on laser beard removal to try keep me from being too ignorant on the matter, but would appreciate your input, thanks…

I’m a 30 year old male from the UK, i have pale skin and very dense, dark coarse beard hair. I have always hated shaving.

As the title suggests - i suffer from a rare form of folliculitis, here’s some background…

About 7 years ago i underwent major bowel surgery for a condition i suffered with for 4 yrs called Ulcerative Colitis (similar to crohns disease) the surgery went well and happy to say i have been very healthy ever since. About 1 year post surgery i started having problems with boils, ingrowns, pustules etc in my beard area, and it has gradually gotten worse over the years…

Before i describe the condition i need to point out i have tried every shaving method out there to no avail.

I have now reached a point where i have become depressed with this condition, my self esteem and confidence is at an all time low, and it has pretty much taken over my life, i have developed a slight OCD with it, and it takes me hours to get ready on a morning because of it as i use a beard trimmer but have to be ridiculously careful…

I also often cancel nights out with friends, dates with women etc because if it flares up i just don’t feel confident to leave the house (although alot of the time i just grin and bear it)

The condition presents itself as several boils, pustules, spots - or whatever you wanna call them all over my beard area, the main areas affected area my neck, lower cheeks, and jawline…my moustache area is never affected and my chin / goatee area only mildy affected…and at any one time i have on average 4/5 on my face…it is never clear…

This is where it gets strange…most of the time i need to drain these pustules, and when i do usually an extremely thick black hair pops out, it turns out that they are not single hairs but actually a bundle of 15-20 hairs stuck together that have come out of 1 follicle, wrapped together at one end in a white jelly like substance…serious alien type stuff!!!

Of course then i get blood, redness, scarring, and the worst of all - bald patches left behind…these bald patches eventually grow some thinner hair after about 3-4 months, but still stay noticibly patchy…

So in a strange way it already looks like i have had a dodgy laser treatment job with the patches, i even have people ask what is wrong with my face from time to time…

And it is just never ending…when 1 pustule heals - i wake up with 2-3 fresh new ones…

Anyway, i have tried every topical treatment under the sun, every antibiotic etc, nothing works…only temporarily relief when on Oxytetracycline…only to become resistant and it return after the course anyway…

So after seeing several dermatologists that sent me away with meds, i finally asked my bowel surgeon if he could recommend the best dermatologist in the area…

This derm seemed a cut above the rest and showed genuine intrigue and concern for me…by the end of my appointment he concluded that there is no meds left to try, he was also baffled to what my condition was, his only guess was that it was 1 of 3 things…

1. folliculitis decalvans
  2. pili multigemini
  3. auto immune disorder

The auto immune disorder would make sense due to the fact Colitis is auto immune, and i took immune-suppresants for a period of time all them years ago…

So, he suggested laser hair removal…he works in a top end private hospital who actually offer the treatment, i believe he and technicians peform this in their clinic…

It seems like very a professional set up, but will obviously look into it more in that regard.

I’m set for a test patch in 2 weeks time, he told me i’m a good candidate due to my skin and hair colour, all i remember is that he uses a YAG laser, and i will find out more for you all in terms of joules, spot size etc after the test patch…as i found this forum after the consultation…

So, i guess i’m just wanting to know what to expect? I don’t know if he is gonna aim for a reduction or a full clearance?

I have read alot of horror stories online, but have also read alot of good things on here, and to be quite honest i’m at a stage where anything would be better than my current situation…

I’d be happy if i could shave easier, and not everyday…but equally happy if i didn’t need to shave at all…

I was also going to ask you guys - i would like to keep some facial hair, and my moustache and goatee area could manage without being touched, then at least if the rest of my face is hair free there is still some stubble to stop me looking like a baby…

Can they do this? i heard guys can have their beards sculpted…

I will try post a pic of my face tomorrow…

Sorry for the length, i just needed to explain it all as it seems a unique situation…

Kind regards
Johnny

If you’re light skin, ask the doc why they want to go with Yag laser only. For beard cases on light skin a combo of Yag/Alexandrite laser is better. But lasers do have benefits in skin treatments for acne or fungus which is similar to your issue. So I think overall you will see some benefit from laser for your skin condition.

Hey fenix!

Yes I will be sure to ask him when I go for the test patch on the 2nd October.

I guess my confusion is what to expect from it, whether it’s going to be a reduction to thin the beard out, or if it would be better to really go for it and try for a full clearance in the affected areas.

Like I say - I could leave my moustache and chin area if they can work around it, as I could shave that small area in like 20 seconds flat.

From what I have read - laser hair removal is a long and stressful process, but at this stage I’m willing to go through anything.

Cheers!

It takes a long time simply because you need to wait long enough between each session. The session itself wont take long at all. Chances are it will be a very good reduction of the thick, dark hairs but many men tend to have other coloured hair in their beards as well, you may find that you have red hairs left growing, for example.
The best thing is since it is done over a long period of time, you can simply wait after each session and decide if and when you would like to go back for more, or if the amount left growing is enough of a reduction to encourage comfort and reduce ingrowns etc.

Goodluck :slight_smile:

Thanks emilily!

It sounds good! And yes I see that the waiting in between does have benefits. To be honest, even if I didn’t have this skin problem I may have looked into LHR anyway, my beard is so thick and grows very fast that I have constantly got a dark shadow, even straight after shaving (which I don’t do any more)I’m told I look my best when clean shaven, but simply can’t do it.

So, even a reduction would change my life significantly, as I’d imagine it would both reduce these bumps and the thought of having finer hair that doesn’t need shaving every day and doesn’t cause a black shadow would be incredible!

P.S. seen as though my face is never free of an infected bump - how would the technician go about treating these areas? as there is always a hair in the middle of the bump…

Thanks!

Laser treatment helped me to get rid of ingrow hairs and bumps. I don’t have to shave my face every day, just every 3 days (after 3 treatments).
The results depend of each person obviously.

Hey Maiakochka!

Just a few questions

1. After your 3 treatments have you had any patchy regrowth?
  2. What laser was used?
  3. What is your skin tone and beard density before treatments?

After reading as much as possible on laser beard removal I’m admittedly unsure of what to expect, yesterday I read a big thread where the guy basically said it’s “all or nothing” when it comes to the beard…alluding to the fact that men should really be having the full 8-10 treatments.

I would actually be happy with a significant reduction (like Maiakochka) where I no longer have a shadow immediately after shaving, and can go 2-3 days in between, and of course without patchiness.

So far I’m thinking 4-5 treatments may achieve this, is this a reasonable prediction?

I have realised these mutant hairs I have are randomly scattered around my beard, you can actually see them up close in a mirror as they look like big black dots, these are what are causing the infected bumps, so I guess no medication is going to help and LHR is the only answer to eradicating them.

Thanks again!

Here are a couple of pictures.

The first one is the left side of my beard, a few days growth, the reason the chin area looks ALOT thicker than the rest is that i use an electric shaver on the cheeks and a beard trimmer on the chin area, although it is alot denser anyway. You can see the red boils and several bald patches.

The second image is what pops out of these bumps / boils that i get. Bundles of hair that exit from one follicle, the hair on the top right you can see the white substance in which the bundle is wrapped in, the hair pops out straight and thick, it’s only when you roll the bundle in your fingers that it starts to unravel.

So, given the stress, pain, and confidence issues this causes me, would you all recommend i go for LHR? No meds can cure this.

Thanks again!

Another quick question…

I called my dermatologist’s secretary earlier to ask if i needed to shave before my test patch on wednesday…

She said that i shouldn’t as the derm needs to see the hairs…is this right?

Everything i have read so far says it’s better to shave beforehand, I may just use a beard trimmer…

Thanks

Yes you absolutely need to shave beforehand (I usually do it the evening before, and then get any hairs I missed in the morning)… your beard is thick enough that I don’t know how in any way, shape, or form she would miss those hairs.

Thanks Brenton!

I will shave the night before then, i guess the problem i have with shaving is going over the bumps and them bleeding / becoming more infected, but if it increases effectiveness i will happily grin and bear it.

Brenton - judging from my pics, do you think i’m a good candidate for LHR? As you can see i’m already suffering with random bald patches and bumps all over so i’m guessing it can’t get worse?

Regards

Try and shave gently. You could also try using an electric razor (possibly using a regular hand razor as much as possible and then use the electrical tool over the bumps). If it bleeds, just put some antibiotic on it and go to bed. I’ve had laser hair removal over skin that I’ve cut with a razor, and nothing bad has happened (it hurt a bit more of course).

Yes I do think you’re a good candidate. Unless you’re treated properly however, your beard can look very patchy afterwards (way worse than what you have now.) If they do good overlapping and use good settings, the risk of patchiness drops down dramatically. It is generally difficult to get an even reduction on the face, but it is common for the cheeks and neck hair to be reduced dramatically which sounds like what you wanted anyways.

Brenton - thanks for the shaving advice, gonna try the razor / electric combination…

In terms of whether i’ve got a good practitioner - all i know is that he is a top dermatologist recommended by my surgeon in a high quality private hospital…

I will obviously find out his beard experience, the equipment he uses / settings, and what he is trying to achieve with me. The one thing for sure is - they have never ever tried selling or pressuring me into having the treatment…

I admit i’m very nervous, scared, and still not sure what to expect or aim for, the pain factor i have read about makes me a little anxious too…

Here is a pic from tonight, i went out with friends but got asked a few times by strangers what was wrong with my face, so i ended up coming home early because my confidence was shot, it is literally ruining my life…

I don’t mean to “butt in” but, well, you are here and I’m reading this. And, I have a big butt!

I suggest that you contact James Walker (one of the Hairtell regulars), because this case looks like it’s his “kind of job.”

Here are the advantages with electrolysis: 1) it can individually select the affected hair follicles. 2) it can thin the beard naturally with absolutely no danger of getting a patchy look. No risk of patches at all … 100% guaranteed!

Think “smart bomb” and not “carpet bombing” … you know the “collateral damage” we hear about? In your case, there is no need to kill off all the “civilians.”

He uses a technique and machine that’s not all that painful. I really think that you would get super results with only one visit to James. Spend some hours … even a few days … and see what happens.

There’s the thing: There is NO difficulty if later on you decide to do laser. Actually, having the beard thinned by electrolysis will make the laser even more successful. Remember there is no risk to at least TRYING electrolysis first. You have nothing to risk.

Yours is not the type of case that I do very well … but, this is the type of case that James has great success doing. You know: right up the “old alley” sort of deal? Think about it. You can certainly PM him or talk on the phone. Examine ALL your options first.

(And for those of you that know James and I do NOT get along? Yes, that’s true, but this board is ALL about patient’s needs; not personal animosity. Besides, nobody is interested.)

Hey Micheal

Thanks for the recomendation, although i have just seen that James is based in the US, i live in the UK…seems like a LONG way to travel.

But upon reading many threads on this forum i see what LHR and Electrolysis go hand in hand, do you think James would know any good Electrologist’s in the UK?

Also, most of what i have read seems to suggest that people usually go for LHR sessions first then finish up with Electrolysis to tidy things up?

I like your carpet bomb analogy, but to be honest i’m quite happy to have most of it reduced, even after a close wet shave i still have a dark shadow, so the thought of reducing the folliculitis and not having a constant shadow / shaving only every 2-3 days is like a dream to me.

To any UK readers - the hospital group that is performing the test patch and possible LHR sessions is Spire Healthcare, they are a private hospital.

Many thanks!

Rickenbacker15, we deal with these cases all the time. Your treatment is not an easy job and doing laser will make your skin worse in the beginning with more redness, irritation and puss coming out. However after 2-3 sessions, your skin will be much better , it will heal and towards the end you may want to go through some electrolysis treatments. Keep us posted about the equipment that will be used. If you were in New York, we would treat you with a laser with a 20 or 22 mm spot size, first Alexandrite wavelength, then NDYAG.

Hey Romeo!

Yes i’m willing to go through it getting worse before it gets better, it’s kind of the right time of year in the UK now the summer is over and approaching the colder months, i have pretty much written off this year and hope to be in a much better position by next summer, happier and clearer.

The dermatologist told me he uses a YAG machine, this was my first consultation way back in march this year, and before i found this forum, so i will be sure to find out if he also has an Alexandrite before using the YAG on me. What do i do if he only uses a YAG?

Also Romeo, if you were to to treat me, what would i expect after 4 treatments? Are lot of men happy with results at this point? And is the reduction permanent?

I have noticed that alot of guys on here don’t seem to follow up on their threads with their progress long after treatment, and i’m hoping / guessing it’s becuase they are happy with their result and too busy with their lives to keep coming back here…

Cheers!

What Romeo does is very specialized (I wish more were like him to be honest). My guess is that if he didn’t think what your dermatologist is going to do would be effective, he would tell you. Since he didn’t say that, I wouldn’t worry if he only has a YAG right now.

There’s a number of people on this forum from the UK so I bet one of them has an electrologist they liked. I came across this one (It was on a transgendered-friendly list – I’ve used some of the people on the list from California and they’ve all been fantastic, but I can’t personally vouch for this person):

Helen Percicoe
Springdell Clinic
19 Poplar Road
Warmley, Bristol,
South Gloucestershire, BS30 5JX
Phone : (0117) 909 11 98
Email : helen@springdellclinic.co.uk

I had 5-6 laser treatments on my beard. After that, I was able to shave without much of a shadow (minus the hair on my chin), so the density went down quite a bit from what I had. I decided afterwards I really really wanted it all gone so I finished/am finishing with electrolysis right now. I think by treatment 3-4 I could start shaving without a shadow… it’s been over a year though since my last facial laser treatment so it’s hard to remember lol

Rickenbacker I’ve had 11 treatments, and still have considerable hair to remove with electrolysis. Laser will not get it all. Some people find little to no additional progress after 4-5 treatments others do. No matter what you will need to look at electrolysis after.My treatment experience wouldnt mean all that much to you, since you have a different skin type and will be treated with a different type of laser as a result. It’s very difficult to compare apples and oranges. However yes expect skin to get worse at least initially before it gets better but it does get better.

The best I can use as a comparison, is imagine you need to clear two acres of vegetative growth. Laser is like taking a grader to remove it. You wont get ALL the green stuff, but you’ll get most of it.Electrolysis is a bit like trying to do the two acres witha garden trowel. Yes you can get every single plant, but it’s going to take you a LONG time.

Seana

Brenton

Thanks for digging up the Electrologist recommendation, i will certainly be contacting her at some point even just for a consultation, i also found a website called “The British insitute & association of electrolysis” where there are 2 in my local area, which might be worth checking out.

I didn’t know you had your beard done, thanks for sharing, how was the overall pattern after the 5-6 treatments? Any patchiness? Are you having electrolysis everywhere or just on the stubborn chin area?

I think if i can get to the point where my cheeks and neck area are sparse and thin, and only need shaving every few days or so without the shadow and without it looking “weird” when it starts to grow in - i will be a happy man.

Also, my moustache area is not affected by the folliculitis, and my goatee area only mildly, i’m wondering if the chin area could either be completely left, or only have 1-2 treatments as i would still like to have a small amount of facial hair.

I remember reading somewhere on here a guy who only has to shave his moustache and chin and takes him like 20 seconds, that would be really cool if i could achieve that.

I keep having second thoughts now and again, but i’m so depressed with the state of my face, and the fact i can never shave, and my confidence has really took a downturn, friends and family can tell it’s really affecting me because i’m usually very confident and fun to be around, but my life now revolves around how my face looks, and like i said before - i have cancelled dates with potential girlfriends, not gone to fun events or weekends away with friends because of it.

So i think with all that - i’m making the right decision.

So glad i found this forum, thanks to everyone contributing!

Johnny