Lamp lighting do-it-yourself

hello all. I am mostly working on my own face and a bit worried about led light I am using (make up light , high lumen) . I used it 2-3 hours a week… and have a little shadow in my eyesight now. went to the doctor, he didnt find anything. however, I googled led light and eyes and found some worrying studies about the blue light in leds hurting and damaging eyesight in the long run.
working with led might be ok when you work on someone else, however, doing your own chin, it is difficcult not to look into the led light itself.
any suggestions on which kind of lighting the do it yourselfers use on their own face?? grateful for help and opinions.

cheers from hamburg, germany.

1 Like

I have been wondering the same thing. I’ve been 15-20 cm from bright led’s minimum hour a day for a couple months. It is taking a long time to focus on things far away, but blamed it on working so close all the time. Even if not doing damage need a warmer light. Have a lot of brown/reddish hair that disappear when the light is on.

This is $60 on ebay. Stick a 5x suction cup mirror to it…

absolutely. my light is pure white only. I was thinking to switching back to “normal lightbulb” or halogen… depending on what’s better for the eyes…

• A 2012 Spanish study found that LED radiation can cause irreversible damage to the retina.
  • A 2019 report from the French Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (ANSES) warned of the “phototoxic effects” of blue light exposure, including an increased risk for age-related macular degeneration. The report also noted that blue light blocking glasses and filters may not protect against these and other harmful effects.

also bought blue light blocking glasses now…

I can’t find a single good magnifying glass with anything but led’s. There was no Kelvin spec on the light I’m using but safe to assume around 6000k, the most common so also the cheapest. They make up to 10000k diodes for grow lights but not that common. The warm led’s are rated at 3000k and should have far less UV than daylight (6500k). The range for UV around 5500k-7500k.

I have been using this $27 one from Amazon and it has worked well for me. It can be run between 3k to 6.5k Kelvin.