Lack of Hygienic Practices Electrologist

Hello all. I just joined this site after researching for hours what I should have researched last year. I hope somebody here can give me their input regarding my electrolysis experience.

Last year I went to a esthetician for tattoo eye brow ing. It didn’t last long and I had decided to grow mine out again, and the esthetician, a older lady with decades of experience suggested I try electrolysis. So last year, around this time I began going once a week for this treatment. She would do my eyebrows. Upper lip. Chin and NeCK.

Well. A little while later I had started developing need dots that sort of resembled acne on my neck. It was a slow progression at first and about 6 months ago I had brought it up to her, asking her if the eruption on my neck had to do with the electrolysis neck treatment I suddenly started getting. She told me no way, it was not possible and the spots are hormonal acne. Ok… but I never had issues on my neck and acne like this.

Flash forward to a year and I decided to do a chemical peel in hopes of removing this “hormonal acne”, and boy when that was finished, I saw the true scope of what had happened to my neck. Red, unsightly spots all over. Horrified. I went to see the doctor today and I have folliculitis. When the hair hole got damaged, it became prone to bacteria and other things.

Well, It finally just hit me, this lady esthetician has NEVER used gloves ever, she would NEVER wash her hands before touching my face (after seeing a client and then bringing me into the room next), and she never washed her hands after. She also clearly never changed the needle and would use it from one client to another without sterilizing it , and the bed she would have us lay on had a towel she would use for the entire day, and never change between clients, and I often felt gross laying on it after seeing the previous clients little black hairs on it.

I have spent the last few hours reading the CDC guidelines and everything that has to do with hygiene and I am not exaggerating when I tell you the paragraph above. Often, she would also touch her phone and then my face, her hands would sometimes smell bad or like food, and I would often be at the mercy of her bare fingernails poking my eye.

I wanted to ask anybody here, is this ladies practices any bit normal? Have you heard of esthetician’s/Electrologists acting this way? Do you think my folliculitis (which I have been prescribed antibiotics for) are a result of her lack of hygienic practices, or maybe my neck is too sensitive to receive these treatments?

It saddens me because I spent the last year building a friendship with this lady despite my uncomfortableness regarding her hygiene. I have been grossed out multiple times by what I stated above but formed a friendship with her and never mentioned my concerns, as she would be somewhat passive aggressive, “oh no that is hormonal acne” and I couldn’t tell her a thing otherwise because ‘She Knows Best’

Well now my neck has a big folliculitis infection with red spots that have been around for months, possibly scarring? :frowning:

They dont seem normal to me. New clean needles ( disposed of between treatments) hand washing, glove useage, cleansing of the skin prior to treatment to remove any bacteria, Sterilized implements ,disinfected surfaces everywhere in the treatment area are all best practises at the very least, and health code law in others.
Folliculitus however, can be caused by any of the things you mentioned, as well as by the hair itself, and hormonal changes. Folliclitus is literally “irritation of the hair follicle” and that irritation can be caused by either bacterial infection or a number of other causes.
As in all things, time is the best resolution.
I want to say, that things like chemical peels, are very hard on the skin. I’m concerned that some of the other procedures you are undergoing may be a cause of the issue. That said, if you have these concerns about infection control, my best recommendation is to not see that electrologist anymore.

1 Like

So very sorry to hear this happen to you (or anyone). Answer to your question “…is the ladies practices any bit normal?”. NOT at all! /“Have I heard of esthetician’s/Electrologists acting this way?” UNFORTUNATELY yes. I am not in a position to say if your folliculitis is a result of her lack or hygienic practices but to prevent this to happen We are all required to follow practices of health and safety standards. Furthermore, because of possible bleeding during the electrolysis session, the electrologist should always practice Universal Precautions. I do hope and pray you will have complete recovery and that your experience will help us value regulations and good practices.

1 Like

Thank you I appreciate your reply

I am really not going under any other procedures whatsoever, and did the chemical peel once, a peel I have been doing for years. I did it because the esthetician told me what I was suffering from was hormonal acne, and if that was the case my neck should have cleared up from the chemical peel, instead it removed the top layer to reveal the actual situation, which was needed for a reality check. I do believe she spread the staph infection into my hair follicles, because I never had any type of issues regarding my hair follicles before. My neck is a sensitive spot, yes, but I never received ingrown hairs or other issues from it. She literally must have given me the infection after removing the hair and then touching the area with her dirty, stinky hands. And yes of coarse I have FINALLY learned my lesson and I will never go again. In reality, she should be reported to the state for her lack of following hygiene procedures but I dont want to do that to her, but at the same time she will continue doing this and infecting more people and im not sure its fair for me not to say anything.

Electrolysis done poorly can cause issues with ingrown hairs and I find this happens on the neck for some people. My point about not doing TOO MUCH too the skin however is to point out that the skin itself has very good healing characteristics. By all means if there is a minor staph infection treat it medically but I wouldnt expect any long term effects from this experience. Needle contamination CAN carry Staphylococcus bacteria ( yes I had to look up the spelling) into the hair follicles, but it should resolve in the short term completely by following medical advice.

Choose anther electrologist, and make sure to ask about infection control protocols in place to protect you in your next consultation.With the COVID 19 outbreak going on at the moment, any electrologist should be able to tell you the protective steps they are taking to protect your health. Be pickey, are they wiping down cords and machine panels and replacing single use covers every time? Are they using a new disposable filiment every time? Is the table wiped down with disinfectant and are containers fitted with lids to protect contents? are they washing their hands and wearing gloves? If no, then walk away. If You dont like the answer to any of these questions, walk away.

Seana

Find another electrologist. You do not want to go home with HIV or hepatitis. Seriously.

1 Like