Keratosis pilaris (KP) and electrolysis

Greetings, this is my first posting here. I am a man in my thirties with KP covering my limbs and parts of my torso. I have had at it most of my life, in my twenties it was manageable with oils, salt scrubs and a tan. It has gotten worse and spread. No combination of all the recommended BHA/AHA creams has helped except a bit with the texture, but the redness persists. Elimination diets, keto, vitamin A supplements, high vitamin D, high omega 3, all fat soluble vitamins, a series of peels, and 6 rounds of laser hair reduction with an alexandrite laser (this has helped texture a bit). This condition weighs on me everyday - I have it bad and it is very red and inflamed, it is causing some serious mental health issues.

Fine hairs have replaced dark hairs on my arms and legs after LHR. Last year I did a few months of regular electrolysis treatments mostly on my forearms, and now I am committed to the next 6 months minimum to continue clearing areas on my arms. Of course I will go a whole year if I must.

I have found some threads on this site about electrolysis and kp, but some were from over a decade ago. I’m curious if any of you top pros out there have any new information or experiences with electrolysis and kp, especially the redness. I am in Arizona.

Thanks a lot!

I’ve only had a couple patients with KP. One fellow was from Switzerland (upper chest and back) and, amazingly, his insurance (Swiss) paid for all his electrolysis treatments. Since, at the time, I was working with a physician, we billed it through the doctor’s office (additionally the use of local anesthetic made treatments much faster). Indeed, removing the follicle removes the possibility of KP in the area. Good luck to you!

Thank you kindly for replying, I did come across your mention of said Swiss patient. It gives me hope, I’m just worried that the redness will remain. How about the other couple of patients?

The redness will go away … no worries. My other patients had small cases, unlike the Swiss kid … It took little time to remove the offending areas. If I recall correctly (or incorrectly) there is some notion that the Dominex mite (or the body reacting to it). might be the cause … so, eliminating the follicle (their home) is a valid treatment … interesting subject. Check the photos: dominex mites rash at DuckDuckGo

Hey, dunno if you’re still ever on here but did you end up pursuing electrolysis for the KP? Did it work?