Keeping it Smooth after a Wax with Shaving?

I’m a 22 year old male and I just got my first waxing done 4 days ago. I’m moderatley hairy all over minus the back, I’m light skinned with dark hair. I had gotten a waxing done on my biceps, part of the forearms, shoulders, lower and upper edge of the back.

In the process, I broke out with sporadic acne, most of it where the forearm hair and the now smooth biceps meet. Its already starting to clear up, but I swore to myself that I would not get another waxing done after bearing the pain, and most importantly the expense which almost totalled $100 for one visit (and then every 4 weeks!..) I also see a couple in-grown hairs as well.

Now that I’m nicley smooth in certain areas, I would like to keep it that way. Since I don’t plan on waxing anymore, I want to take advantage of my new found smoothness.

1. I was instructed to loofah (exfoliate) my skin 3-5 days after my waxing and to continue doing it 2-3 times a week thereafter. What should I do about the areas where there is still some redness, acne or an in-grown hair?
  2. How do I keep the waxed areas smooth and irritation-free with shaving?
  3. How long after a wax can I begin shaving and how often should I shave?

Thank you for all responses.

[quote]I’m a 22 year old male and I just got my first waxing done 4 days ago. I’m moderatley hairy all over minus the back, I’m light skinned with dark hair. I had gotten a waxing done on my biceps, part of the forearms, shoulders, lower and upper edge of the back.

In the process, I broke out with sporadic acne, most of it where the forearm hair and the now smooth biceps meet. Its already starting to clear up, but I swore to myself that I would not get another waxing done after bearing the pain, and most importantly the expense which almost totalled $100 for one visit (and then every 4 weeks!..) I also see a couple in-grown hairs as well.

Now that I’m nicley smooth in certain areas, I would like to keep it that way. Since I don’t plan on waxing anymore, I want to take advantage of my new found smoothness.

1. I was instructed to loofah (exfoliate) my skin 3-5 days after my waxing and to continue doing it 2-3 times a week thereafter. What should I do about the areas where there is still some redness, acne or an in-grown hair?
  2. How do I keep the waxed areas smooth and irritation-free with shaving?
  3. How long after a wax can I begin shaving and how often should I shave?

Thank you for all responses. [/quote

I’m not an expert but it’s really hard just to get waxed once. If you shave, you will deal with constant stubble and it’s much more noticeable. Waxing at least keeps it smooth for a few weeks and it grows back finer.

Also, it seems odd to do part of your forearms and part of your back. I think consistency is important. You may want to do the areas that bother you the most. An arm and back wax probably costs you $75…

The more times you wax, the easier it gets. It hurts at first. The skin conditions can be corrected through proper preparation before and proper care after the waxing. Shower an hour before using a good bar soap and no lotions or body sprays. After waxing for the next few days stay away from body washes and sprays. Do use a good conditioning lotion if needed. For the first day stay away from all alcohol based products.

Well, its been 3 weeks since getting the waxing and the hairs have started growing back and the condition of my skin is about back to normal.

hairfreeincali, I agree with your comment on consistency and the shaving matter. What I had waxed were my most problamatic areas. And no, I don’t need to get my whole back waxed, because it is only the upper and lower edge that has any hair growth.

You could shop for another practicioner.

It is normal to have break out the first time your body has a histamine reaction. Benedryl ointment helps.

If it continues there may be another cause.