Jergens Naturally Smooth Shave Minimizing Moisturizer

Jergens Naturally Smooth Shave Minimizing Moisturizer claims that it lets you shave “half as often.”

What does that mean? If you shave every day or so, you might be able to go every other day or so.

For more information, please see:
Hairfacts: Jergens information

[ May 10, 2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

You might also check this out:

epinions: Jergens consumer comments

[ May 10, 2002, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

I use Naturally Smooth after shaving my legs, but I haven’t really used it consistently enough to tell if it reduces hair growth. At least it is a decent moisturizer, not too greasy.

RJC2001

I may need to pick that up

can shave minimizers be used on the face?

Shave minimizing lotions are made primarily for the legs.

Jergens Naturally Smooth FAQ

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> Can I use this product on my face?
Naturally Smooth™ Shave Minimizing Moisturizer was not designed for use on the face. If you have oily or acne prone skin, you may find that this lotion is too moisturizing for your face. Additionally, we caution against getting it near your eyes.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Some people find these lotions to be VERY moisturizing, to the point of being greasy. On the face, that could mean breakouts.

What’s with that claim? Because they are not claiming that it will slow growth, only that the hair will be finer and softer, and if this is the case, you still have to shave. If the claim is indeed true, it might be a good solution for arms, because having finer hair there would make a difference, but i can’t walk around with leg stubble, less fine or no. But anyway, i have been using it for over 5 weeks and very little if any difference. Might be a good product for pubic hair and arms if there softer finer claim is true, but shaving half as often seems silly.

Oh yeah, and does anyone know the theory of how this is supposed to work? Is it only to take the edge of the blutness of the hair after you’ve shaved or will it continue to keep each hair have a smaller diameter through the life of the hair. Becuase if only the first is true, then it won’t be good for arms either. : (

[ July 12, 2002, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Ginx ]

Ginx, it has a mild depilatory (sodium hydroxide) which can break down the chemicals that hold hairs together. Kind of like a relaxer-- continuous use of the Jergens slowlybreaks down the hair cuticle until it’s thinner and less rigid.

It’s pretty mild, so many women don’t see the kind of dramatic results they promise in ads. But hey, that’s why they’re ads! Don’t believe the hype! :wink:

Wow, what a dumb product. Now i get it. So, if it takes 4-8 weeks of continuous use to break down the hair, blech, not to somehow get into the roots. Hmmmm. I suppose i could use it on arms, probably wouldn’t make enough difference, nor on bikini area. Damn. What is that root that both curel and jergens for, it’s like urganious or sibilenious root or something. I can’t find my bottle right now. That is supposed to be for something, right?

It’s called sanguisorba, which herbalists claim has some medicinal properties. I discuss these claims at the bottom of the page below:

Hairfacts: Jergens Naturally Smooth Shave Minimizing Lotion

Okay, so i’m still not understanding how appearance of finer hair would help me shave less often. W. legs for instance, i shave daily, so each hair that i remove is new, so the sodium hydrox would not get chance to soften or break down this tip of hair. Why the 8 weeks? Is the lotion at some point moving down in skin level to start getting to hair that has not seen the surface? That might be alright, it might help people with obvious black dots, might make them a little finer (in theory). Also, if all it does it break down the hair, wouldn’t that make it more idea for hair that is NOT being currently removed, like arm hairs, so that each day, little by little it eats away at those hairs? thanks, again, and again.

It makes the hair feel a little softer from all the emollients and the lye (it’s pretty greasy-feeling-- too greasy for many to use anywhere but the legs). Stubble may not feel as noticeable or as rough, which means you might be able to get away with skipping a day shaving.

It’s not selling like mad at this point, which suggests a lot of peple bought it once and did not pick up another bottle.

They have retooled thair ads with an animated demo which shows existing hairs getting thinner (like your arm hair example).

That is funny re: the commercials. That stinks. I guess i will use the rest of the bottle on one of my arms and see if it makes a difference. What about if it were to dilute my nair with lotion and leave it on my arms for 5 minutes. Do you think this would ‘thin’ the hairs? Kind of like a Jergens Naturally Smooth Express? One last question on this, why do you think the 4-8 weeks things for legs? i don’t get it. Also, is the reason that Biore and Jergens suggest it works best on recurring hair that is usually removed because they thought we would notice the difference? Biore says the moisturizer “ …is safe to use on eyebrows, by your hairline, and all over your face. It has its greatest effect on recurring hair, so you will see best results on areas where hair is actively removed and beginning to grow back.”

[ July 15, 2002, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Tonic ]

Diluted depilatories may result in the results you seek, but I cannot advise using these chemicals in ways that differ from the manufacturer instructions. For instance, it’s possible that diluting it with water may actually make it more caustic, since sodium hydroxide reacts in water (its the same stuff found in crystal drain openers).

The 4-8 weeks things is because the emollients have a gradual effect, too, so you need that long to see if it’s softening the hairs or not.

btw, a very important thing to note. After I started using the Jergens Shave Minimising blend of harmful chemicals on my underarms, I’ve had a problem with underarm odor every since. When I was a teenager I had an odor problem, and after that never ever, thank God. But thanks to Jergens Shave Minimising cream, (which I used for just about a week), I am back with problems.

Be careful!