James: Q re: removing of hair in moles ??

Hi James

Just a quick question here.

What do you think about having electrolysis done on moles that are deemed “normal” by a dermatologist and that are not suspicious ?

How safe do you think electrolysis on mole hairs would be , generally speaking?

cheers mate,

Hank

If it were not for cancer, no one would worry about treating moles. OTHER than cancer, moles are formed because of bundled hair follicles and their blood supply. Once you remove the hair, the mole flattens, and the color of the area evens to the same skin tone as the rest of the skin around it.

Any decent electrologist would be able to take care of the situation you describe.

(Just a note, the problem with treating a cancerous mole is that one would be introducing air to the cancer, and that would cause the cancer to grow faster)

introducing air to the cancer, and that would cause the cancer to grow faster)

This is absolutely not true!!! Please don’t perpetuate this very dangerous myth about cancer. Sorry if I seem so upset, but my grandfather had cancer and we had the hardest time in the world getting him to agree to surgery (which ended up saving his life) because he could not let go of this stupid myth that people repeat all the time.

About electrolysis on moles: None of the electrologists I’ve seen have ever agreed to work on a mole. This was part of their basic information/rules sheet. Too bad, because I have a small, flat one on my arm that has a stupid hair that grows straight out of it. (I cut it.)

FWIW, I had a dermatologist look at that mole and she said any mole that has a hair growing out of it indicates that the mole’s structure is normal and therefore not cancerous. The ones without hair are the iffy ones.

What defines a mole as opposed to a freckle?

Some electrologists won’t touch any mole. Others want you to get a note from your doctor saying the mole is safe to treat. Others will just treat it, and think nothing of it.

If we are repeating myths, it is because that is what we are taught in school, and like I have said before, our text books are woefully out of date.

Most electrologists are just being protective of thier malpractice insurance, and/or covering their butt against any possibility of a court case being filed against them.

I can only say that every mole I ever treated just flattened out, and the skin reverted to the color of the rest of the skin around it in time.

Some electrologists won’t touch any mole. Others want you to get a note from your doctor saying the mole is safe to treat. Others will just treat it, and think nothing of it.

If we are repeating myths, it is because that is what we are taught in school, and like I have said before, our text books are woefully out of date.

Most electrologists are just being protective of thier malpractice insurance, and/or covering their butt against any possibility of a court case being filed against them.

I can only say that every mole I ever treated just flattened out, and the skin reverted to the color of the rest of the skin around it in time.

James, thanks for your great feedback as usual.

the thing I was most worried about was causing a dormant/safe mole to become cancerous via major interference(like electrolysis).

So technically, If people wanted to remove moles or have their moles become near-invisible, providing their moles had hair/s growing from them, they could just have electrolysis performed on the moles for that purpose, and be mole-free essentially?

So technically, If people wanted to remove moles or have their moles become near-invisible, providing their moles had hair/s growing from them, they could just have electrolysis performed on the moles for that purpose, and be mole-free essentially?

Yes, you are correct. Assuming you find an electrologist who has not been scared off of treating moles in electrolysis school.