I've tried it all…I feel hopeless

I started getting little hairs around my chin in my early 20s. That’s right around when the laser craze started, so I began my laser treatments around face. I did about 4-5 sessions and started seeing a little result but had to stop because I was moving. By the time i moved, not only did all the hairs on my chin grow out but I also a had a bunch of new hairs on the jaw line all the way down to the neck. Basically a full on beard, especially because I was shaving at the time. Now I cannot help but think that the laser caused the excess growth. Nonetheless, I continued with the laser. The first couple sessions were amazing! I barely had to shave the hair was really shedding. But by the way 6-7th session all the hairs were coming back and really thick. By the 15th or so session my hairs were just unmanageable. So I finally I stopped doing the laser and started threading. At first threading was great the hairs were coming out finer and I only had to do it like once a week. But then the hairs started getting thick and I had to thread every 3 days. I started Vaniqa with it, but it didn’t really work and it was too expensive for me. So everyone tells me Electrolysis is the only real system that permanently removes hair. So I decided to find an electrolygolysist. The amount of time and pain I have endured doing this is out of control. My skin is completely ruined full of big red bumps that have been there for weeks now. I have tried a few different electrologist with a few different methods and It seems this is the way my skin reacts. So now after 16 sessions of electrolysis (and no difference what so ever) I have stopped and gone back to threading. I feel really hopeless at this point, I don’t know what to do. Is it possible that laser hair removal for the face has developed since 6 years back when I was doing it? Do you think I should give it a shot again? I don’t have any hormonal issues that I know of. I am just naturally hairy. But I am going to a doctor next week just to triple check. So that being said does anyone have any advice for me??

Over what period of time did you have electrolysis treatments? It takes several months to see a real change.

It takes time to see a change from electrolysis, but it will be your only permanent solution. I have tweezed for years, waxed, had IPL treatments done,etc…and this is my final destination before finally getting rid of it. Electrolysis is your answer if you want permanent results.

I did over a 4 month period. Should I go back and keep up with it? Have you done electrolysis yourself and seen results? I am so afraid of the skin damage that it’s already been doing to my skin. Does that eventually clear as well? Thanks!

Have you tried other electrologists? Pictures would be helpful in showing what damage you’re talking about. I think you should try it again if you can find a good electrologist and stick with it. Yes, I have seen results so far–I’m about as far in as you are. I think those are the hardest parts (finding a competent person and the consistency). I feel so much better when I have clearances done vs. small areas. The reaction is much more severe up first, but it is worth it to me.

Please be more descriptive of what it is doing to your skin. I get crazy redness and swelling for about a week (the last one lasted longer), sometimes white pustules and the hyperpigmentation with or without aftercare. It fades, but the redness on my neck lasts the longest.

I hope this is helpful! I understand what you are going through and I don’t want you to give up. It’s very emotional and hard, but it will be worth it.

I really appreciate your response, it is very helpful. I also get crazy redness and swelling white bumps and after a few days those bumps start look like severe acne all over my chin and neck. A week a half later it is significantly better but it almost looks little discolored bumps (see photo- though i am not sure how clear that is). My next question is, what do you do in between treatments when the hair starts growing out?

Gemini I feel your pain and am with you on the frustration. Admittedly my year + experimenting with LHR actually has been surprisingly beneficial overall. I am done with it all now . However I did NOT do LHR on my face which is really the hair that bothers me most :frowning: I didnt have such a good laser available in my location, in fact alot of ipl was used, but it was very low cost and in the end I actually have decent results and am super happy i made the choice to give it a try.

I believe in Electrolysis. I believe in the high quality work such as we see on this forum and it has been that which influenced my choice to attempt to travel this road and have to date had a ton of hours logged zapping on my face from many zappers in many various cities. I have spent WAY MORE money overall than I have on LHR and it so far has only been on a tiny area of my face. To be honest , (though i hate to disappoint the pro zappers on this forum) overall the results for money paid and time spent have been very disappointing. The hiar continues to return even to that small patch. It has been expensive, time consuming, risky and I have also a few scars from the effort. I have pretty much almost given up hope of having E on my face. THE KEY THING IS THAT THERE ARE NOT very many good zappers around ,so we are basically experimenting with sub par work on our FACES ! It sucks big time . Maybe for those who are lucky enough to access the pros it is a great risk WORTH taking, otherwise not so sure it is worth it at all. and as far as LHR on the face I WOULD NOT DO IT! definitely not worith the risk!

I didn’t see the photo, can you try again? I shave my face like a man, every day. It was emotionally very hard at first. I second Danika. IPL is worthless and I had it done on my face and it stimulated growth where I never had it before. I’m paying for it now. Tweezing for years didn’t help either. Hang in there! Hugs to you.

Also, wanted to add that I do not have any scars yet (hoping that it never happens). And prior to finding the electrologists I was using, the one I was going to would have many blow outs, used too high of settings and too small of a probe and my skin is holding up so far…I believe nutrition has a place in this and hydration. I consume a lot of vegetables, high quality meats and fruit. There is a lot of good fat in my diet as well. I do believe this helps my skin recover. I still have hormonal acne, but it bounces back from harsh treatments and years of abuse.

Hurray for your good nutrition stance. It DOES matter!

Many of my clients say that electrolysis helps their acne. Many times when I am working on facial cases, as I remove the hair, a get theses balls of sebum along with the hair (hardened oil). It is gross, but wonderful to see that gunk come out of the skin.

Thanks Dee. :slight_smile:

That is partially gross and partially awesome! You guys see it all!

don’t give up gemini. I totally understand how you feel because I get discouraged too. The unwanted facial hair dampens my life but I’m praying with determination and perseverance that this moment will pass and I’ll be hair free. No one will dwell on what you looked like before and if they do, they’ll just be amazed at how great you look now. When you’re happy in your own skin, it beams and I know how much of a hindrance facial hair can be on that light but I fight everyday to rid myself of those insecurities and it works. I live my life and try my best not to focus on my imperfections. I don’t want my life to pass me by and it have been because I was too embarrassed to put myself out there. Just do everything you can to make yourself comfortable enough to go out and keep up with your appointments. In between my appointments I shave and wear makeup. Take care and don’t lose hope.

hairwo3sb3gon3 congratulations for your attitude!! You’ve made my day :)Take care!

Welcome, Denisa. Thanks for posting. Just a few comments about your blog on electrolysis that I hope you will take into consideration. Modern electrolysis care and special techniques make doing any area large or small a reality. Electrolysis, in the hands of a skilled, experienced practitioner breaths life back into a depressed, hairy person.

I thank you for sharing your information , but wanted to help you understand that some of your comments (while most were very accurate) needed some perspective. So, I will give it the attention it deserves and again, thank you for joining Hairtell.

This is epilator girl.

Hi there! I’m Denisa but more importantly I am an epilator girl. I want to share with you all my experiences with using epilators for many many years now and hopefully you will share yours, too.

Epilator girl writes:

Electrolysis – the Only Permanent Hair Removal Method

Denisa: Laser is a method that cannot handle fine and light color hair but electrolysis is great in this area and not only. However, the main difference between laser and electrolysis is that the former treats larger skin areas, while the latter takes each follicle at a time. Dee Fahey comment: ( electrologists treat larger areas everyday here is an example:)

Right underarm before electrolysis

Left underarm before electrolysis

Right underarm after 68 minutes electrolysis for clearance

Left underarm after 58 minutes of treatment with electrolysis for clearance

Denisa: Describing how it works it might not sound too pretty but it’s extremely efficient and permanent. Each hair follicle, one at a time, is visited by a really thin metal probe through which electricity is sent, which in turn makes follicles incapable of producing any more hairs. Dee Fahey said (Yes!)

Denisa: This method requires trained certified professionals. Not anyone can do it. That’s why I would recommend letting a professional do it. The main problem is that electrolysis takes time and a lot of it until it’s completely efficient and no hair will ever grow back from its follicle. But if you think about it, what’s a few years of sessions compared to a lifetime without hair?

Dee Fahey comments: (Depending on the area being treated, it can take 9-18 months if the client understands hair growth cycles and actually shows up for appointments, which range from 8-15 times over a year to year and a half, to get cleared as soon as as possible and then maintains that clearance. With temporary methods were are talking about a lifetime of chasing hair. I call this “the hamster on the wheel, going nowhere” plan.

Here is another example of time commitment for a large area:

Man with back hair: started 8-2-2012 with electrolysis

All clear Feb. 2013 6 months later with electrolysis

He is finished at the 14 month mark. Smooth back, like baby skin. Not easy, but we did it!

Denisa: Consider that a single area can require sessions over the length of one year or more. Is it worth it? I think it is, if you have the money and you choose the best professional for this type of hair removal method. Also, each session is going to last between 15 minutes up to 1 hour.

Dee Fahey comment: ( “If you have the money” … Well, what does that mean? Is one willing to spend $500 for permanent hair removal of lip hair or how about $1,300 for old man ear hairs that look like a forest of cable wires protruding from the ears, interfering with the proper fit if a hearing aid. Like this:

Gone permanently.

Denisa: When you think about the fact that a fine metal probe is inserted into the follicle and that electricity is sent through that metal probe that looks like a tiny needle, the main thing that comes to mind is if it hurts. It doesn’t hurt but a discomfort is still felt, something like a warming sensation. Well, if it’s not pain, it’s great. Another consequence is that you might experience something similar to sunburns but they will only last for a few hours.

Dee Fahey comment: ( pretty good description, but sensation depends on the practitioner, the clients tolerance, hydration and anxiety levels. I would describe electrolysis sensation as some hairs hurt and some don’t. Some areas hurt more than others, like under the nose on the middle upper lip. Electrologists can make adjustments to their recipe of intensity and timing and modality, if they so choose, and make it very tolerable.)

Denisa: The main disadvantages for electrolysis are the high prices and the long periods of time it takes until you are completely absolutely hair free.

Dee Fahey comment: (Again, a person who suffers from skin damage because of ingrown hair and the temporary methods they have used over the years to disguise their problem may have a different take on prices and “long periods” of 9-18 months that it takes to resolve their hair problem. If you had this problem, would you spend no more than $5,000 to make the hair go away forever?

Click on this:

Thank you very much for making everything clear about electrolysis! It’s really enlightening. Thank you for confirming that I’ve been fairly accurate in writing my article, it’s great coming from an electrologist. Thank you so much for taking the time for analyzing every single aspect.
When I said that the costs are considerably high, I was referring to people who don’t suffer from problems caused by using non-permanent hair removal methods.
There are cases, as you mentioned, when electrolysis is the salvation.
For example, I’ve used an epilator for 7 years or so and I don’t have any problems. But as I’ve mentioned, when I have $5,000 to spend, I will spend it on electrolysis sessions for sure.