Is Vaseline advisable for aftercare?

I assumed it was good to use Vaseline after treatments so as to avoid scabbing, yet on Sterex’s website it says patients should not do so because ‘occlusive products prevent the evaporation of heat present in the skin following electro epilation treatment and therefore hinder the healing process’. (http://www.sterex.com/learning-resources/section4c/)

What are your thoughts on this?

Well, it "all depends.’

Most likely, Sterex (I didn’t read the article) was talking about Vaseline and significant "post-burn’ treatment. After a burn, the area shouldn’t be occluded … but allowed to cool. Easily, you can read all about this yourself on the internet. Here’s a nice informative article:

The "electrolysis "burn’ is not anything like a normal burn. In fact, it’s an "upside-down’ burn: with more damage deep in the skin, and less (or none at all) at the top. (That’s the opposite of a normal burn.) The common scab that forms from electrolysis treatment is pretty much insignificant. However, such a scab can be limited by keeping the skin moist, i.e., carrying-off the tiny bits of blood factors that may accumulate at the wound top. Frequent washing helps, and won’t "muck up’ your skin.

Over the years I have experimented with everything (my poor clients). The most stunning product that virtually eliminated scab-formation (on heavy body work) was pure Emu Oil! (Although people don’t like it because it stinks and it’s from an animal.) A lot of electrologists recommend "Tea Tree oil’ … with emphasis on the "oil.’ And, of course, this product is mildly anti-bacterial too. (Stinks though.)

Essentially, any product that maintains moisture (from your own skin by occlusion), will help reduce scab formation and speed epidermal healing (the epidermis won’t have to burrow under a scab). Of course, Vaseline is a petroleum product and a lot of people think it will kill you in about 2-seconds if you use it. I did use Vaseline once on myself, and I died! And, I’ve regretted it ever since.

One more thought on this topic. Clients always fear scar-formation from electrolysis: it’s their number one concern.

Because the electrolysis wound is “upside down,” and the skin damage is DEEP in the tissues … well, you almost NEVER develop scars from electrolysis.

Technically, an electrolysis “scar” forms in the “deep dermis” from every (correctly executed) electrolysis treatment: think tiny threads of collagen tissue. However, you will NEVER see this (perhaps under a microscope from a cut-out section of skin?).

Scars and electrolysis? … overwhelmingly rare. Were scars common, there would be no “electrolysis profession.”

And You resurrected, apparently.
Do we need to pray?

BTW: i simply do nothing and let the scabs appear and fall off on my legs and in my face (i am occasionally still doing DIY work, if i am not too tired from working on clients…)