Is this progress? Electrolysis (thermo) on chin

Hi all :slight_smile:
Looking for some insight and advice on my electrolysis progress.

I began Aug 2022. My first electrologist who did my session was only available in AM so I went to her assistant for almost all the rest of my sessions w that location. Assistant was fine at first but soon felt she was plucking some hairs, not all but some. (The first electrologist did not do this, but she worked much slower and I did not achieve full clearance w her). Despite this my progress after these sessions was very fast and noticeable. However, I didn’t feel like I could trust that place because I didn’t want ANY hairs plucked obviously so I went to a new place starting in November.

At some point, it seemed like all my progress reversed and I ended up back where I was originally.

New person works very fast, I never feel plucking, but it also definitely doesn’t hurt as much/she uses a different machine. Maybe she has the setting lower and that’s why it feels like my progress has slowed? She says the hairs are growing back very fine and are easier to remove now, but in terms of density and rate of growth it feels like the same amount is coming back after those 2 weeks.

I do have PCOS, not taking medications, but am doing a lot of lifestyle interventions to maintain it, which I think have been effective because I have a lot of other symptom improvements (more regular period, reduced acne, reduced body hair, more energy). I notice my chin hair growing faster before my period sometimes but otherwise I don’t notice any other change in terms of it getting better.
Based on these sessions/pics, does this seem like a normal trajectory for electrolysis on a patient with PCOS, or is something wrong?
I really appreciate any and all help. This forum has been a great help these past few months. :slight_smile:

Session 1 8/9/22 - not cleared, 1 hr

Session 2 8/16/22 - cleared, 1 hr

Session 3 8/30/22 - 30 min

Session 4 9/14/22 - 30 min

Session 5 10/5/22 - 1 hr

Session 6 10/26/22 - 1 hr

Session 7 11/07/22 - 30 min (last session with electrologist #1)

Session 8 11/16/22 - 30 min (new electrologist)
Screenshot 2023-03-06 183702

Session 9 11/23/22 - 30 min
Session 10 12/2/22 - 15 min
Session 11 12/7/22 - 15 min
Session 12 12/16/22 - 15 min
Session 13 12/23/22 - 15 min

Session 14 12/30/22 - 15 min

Session 15 1/10/23 - 15 min
Session 16 1/19/23 - 15 min
Session 18 1/24/23 - 15 min
Session 19 2/2/23 - 15 min
Session 20 2/8/23 - 15 min

Session 21 2/20/23 - 15 min

Apologies for not having more pics for my more recent sessions.

Hi there, as someone who has treated a lot of hair with Thermolysis for 40 years, In my professional opinion I don’t see a significant difference in the coarseness of your facial hair. First off, you had mentioned in some of your photos that the electrologist was unable to clear your entire facial hair after one hour in treatment. It is important to make sure all of your hair is cleared after every electrolysis treatment. Has your electrologist been able to clear all of the hair during every week or bi-weekly appointments? If not, I regret this is not a good sign. I would ask your electrologist to allow you to see one or two of your hairs she has electrolysed. Look at the base of your electrolysed hair. If you see a dark healthy spot at the base of your hair, this is what we call melanin. Melanin is what gives pigment to your hair but it also can be a good gage to determine just how much blood supply is feeding that one hair follicle. The darker the pigment at the base of your hair can indicate that your hair is deep seeded but also has a healthy amount of blood supply feeding that hair. If this is the case, it maybe that some of your hair has been tweezed. With the weekly appointments you have had there should be some signs your hairs are are getting softer and sparser. Unfortunately, I don’t see any of this in your photos you have posted.

I treat clients with PCOS on a daily basis. I will admit some of my PCOS clients have very dark and dense hair. It can be challenging at times but with commitment and weekly treatments, the results can be rewarding. I did notice that your treatments have dropped significantly to 15 minute appointments. During these 15 minute electrolysis treatments, is your electrologist clearing all of your hair? If you are concerned that something isn’t right. I would bring up your concerns with your electrologist. I hope this has been helpful.

This is very helpful to know! It was on at my first electrolitos who moved pretty slowly did I not a full clearance, every other session since then I have. The new person I go to also does my sideburns and I’ve experienced minimal regrowth there, but I’ve also never waxed or tweezed my sideburns so they’re much less resistant. I notice she uses a machine where you just select the area and the settings are automatic, which is why I thought maybe it was just that my hairs are too strong after years of plucking for those settings. And she says the hairs have been easier to treat (not sure what that means, less zaps?) so I took her word for it.

Also, my session times dropped when I started going to this new electrologist. She works much faster and I go more consistently so it’s quicker to clear my chin.

Thank you so much for your input, it’s very disheartening to hear but I’m glad I did!

You’re very welcome. I hope someone else from our industry who is a professional will take the time to share their thoughts.