is this permanent?

hi there!
has anybody had hair removed PERMANENTLY by laser? I’m curious cause I have large areas of coarse black hairs (I’m probably type III fitzpatrick scale) and won’t invest in this if there is no person who had permanent effects.
I know there are people who only after 2 years have their hairs all back - that isn’t good enough for me. If there is someone who’s done and clear from that time on, please let me know.
thank you.

Laser is classified as permanent hair REDUCTION, and with repeated treatment, permanent hair removal results may be archived.

Laser hair removal technology is not out (popular) long enough to analyse long term results. Also, laser is not suitable for everybody.

kaspar, published clinical studies have observed permanent reduction in hair at over a year past the final treatment. In most cases, any treated hair reduction by that time is permanent.

The issue is how often this occurs in real-world settings. It’s one thing to see permanent results done by a lab under the best conditions. My guess is that someone who set up shop in the local strip mall after a two-week course at a “laser school” is not going to have as high a success rate. Contrary to what some might tell you, lasers aren’t a point and shoot sort of thing. You need extensive training and experience to achieve a permanent result without damaging the consumer’s skin.

So yes, permanent laser hair reduction is possible, especially on dark haired light skinned patients. The success rate drops dramatically in other hair/skin combinations, and is highly dependent on the skill of the practitioner. The energy level and treatment pattern make a huge difference and require careful attention.

thank You Andrea
sorry to be such a nuisance - your answer is really informative. thanks
ants - thanks - I’ve known that, but I was curious if someone here can say - “I’ve done this with good results - the hair is gone for good”.
I just suppose there are people here who have such experience (though I consider the facts Andrea mentioned above)

Most people come to places like this for information prior to getting the procedure, or shortly afterwards to talk about it. The problem with long-term stuff is that, five years after getting the procedure… the average person has just happily forgotten the problem they used to have, and probably isn’t going to be trolling the boards waiting to share their experiences.

It’s just the way people are… and in fact, the lack of people on here talking about how horrible their experiences were or how it didn’t work probably says as much as the ones talking about how well it went for them. Bitterness lasts longer than satisfaction, in general.

You’re right, Corvaith-- long-term follow-up is a rare find, which is one of the main reasons I started this site. Since I started tracking consumers and soliciting follow-up, it’s been much easier to determine what DOESN’T work than what does.

A good analogy is weight loss products. Many people report a diet or program is working, but these results are usually premature. Long-term follow-up on any diet program has shown that 9 out of 10 are at or above their original weight a year later, even among those who swear it was a success at the time.

Early results need to be reported, but they are no substitute for long-term follow-up. Any device or product claiming permanence needs to be held to a tough standard of one year after final treatment. That’s the true test of whether a product is a scam or not.

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”> Early results need to be reported, but they are no substitute for long-term follow-up. Any device or product claiming permanence needs to be held to a tough standard of one year after final treatment. That’s the true test of whether a product is a scam or not.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>I agree Andrea, since being in the Medical and Aesthetic Laser/Light Business for almost 20 years the problem is consumers get told propaganda about a product or application and misconceptions run wild. I have a spot on my body that I have been testing HR Devices on for 7 years now. I did initial hair counts and took pictures, I have 80% permanent hair(reduction) removal. The last 20% is tough. If I were a paying customer I would have to make a choice, continue treatments with a laser or light device or try to finish them off with Electrolysis, but that to will be an ongoing process. Basically what I’m getting at is you get to a stage of treatment where it is just maintenance over very long periods of time. It is very difficult if at all impossible to 100% clear hair baring areas on the body of hair permanently for the rest of your life.

Thanks for the comment, laserdr. As we woerk to cut through the hype here, it’s good to see thedre are practitioners who put consumers before profits.