Is this looking okay? 8 sessions thermolysis, 1wk post treatment

Hi there,

I recently started with someone who uses thermolysis-- we’ve been doing 30 minutes a week or every other week since mid February.

I’ve been noticing that the chin area is much more painful during treatment, which is to be expected right on the bone, but it also feels like a more radiating, burning pain rather than the sharp localized pain I expect. Even a week later, it feels like a tiny healing sunburn. I noticed more pronounced pitting last night, and based on some of the other threads and responses on this forum, I suspect I’ve been scabbing more than is ideal.

I’m worried and bummed-- I really like the person I’m working with: she has 45 years of experience, good reviews, and is right around the corner from my house. Three years ago, I tried someone very reputable who used the blended method, but my life circumstances made it so I had to stop at the time, and though I didn’t see so much scabbing, it was also a LOT more painful.

I’m not allowed to post more than one photo just yet, so I picked the one that seemed most comprehensive. There’s a lot of hair on my face as I let it grow in for our next session, which was to be tomorrow. I postponed out of nerves. I took this in bright indirect sunlight.

Am I in danger of permanent scarring? Should I find someone else?

What does your electrologist say about this? I’m thinking if you share this photo with her, maybe she can use a different probe or change the energy recipe. It’s not thermolysis, it is other factors that can be refined perhaps, that may work better for your healing outcome. Share your concerns and see if she can tweak some things. Hopefully, she is not ingrained in doing things her way, as opposed to making small changes as she tries to reassure you along the way.

What aftercare instructions were you given?

Thank you so much for replying! I have been extremely stressed about this, and it’s a relief just to have other experienced eyes on it. Do you have a sense from this image of whether this is long term damage?

Re: communicating with her:

I mentioned feeling like I was seeing some pitting when I saw her last week. She explained that it’s normal to see some, but that it fades and smooths with time and she wasn’t worried about it.

At our consultation, she also told me to expect a week’s worth of scabbing after each appointment.

I have expressed three times now that the pain on my chin feels different from the pain everywhere else . At our last appointment, I let her know that I was less concerned about being perfectly hairless in one area at the end of each appointment, and was happy to only have the hair thinned, even if that means I have patchy hair all over my jaw line, chin, and neck. She seemed to feel bad to leave any hair at all, but agreed that this would be gentler on the skin.

Re: aftercare:

She gave me a sample of a “tissue repair” cream (in quotes because the bottle is at home and I forget the actual brand), which I ended up buying because I liked it. She indicated that I could use this and pure aloe vera immediately, but I should not get water or anything else on the area until the following day. After 24hrs, I was safe to use sunscreen, neosporin, gentle cleansers, and witch hazel. She also gives me ice at the end of each appointment.

Extra notes:

I had been plucking prior to seeing her

Hi there Deedra— I hope a second reply is alright.

I’ve been reading through the forum, and I’ve seen you comment elsewhere that a sizzling sound means settings are too high. I hear this sound many times each session, and now I’m very nervous to bring my concerns to the woman I’ve been seeing because I’m wondering if this is just how she works. This most recent session, I did see big interconnected scabs as well, although I don’t think that has been the norm before.

I really like the person I’m seeing — she’s lovely talk to, happy to be quiet when I need quiet, happy to apply aloe when I’m struggling with pain, and we generally get on very well. We even talk about the unique stresses and joys of working with people’s bodies (I’m a tattooer).

You are an experienced practitioner; is there a particular way you’d like a client to bring their concerns to you? Or should I just let this go, and head back to the woman I was seeing a few years ago?

Thank you so much for your time. This whole forum is a godsend.

1 Like

The conjoined treatment sites can make permanent lines on your face ( scarring). The repeated high frequency blowback indicated settings are too high or insertion too shallow which can also leave permanent marks. Find a better electrologist.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply— this makes things really clear.

1. Should I wait for any particular length of time for my skin to recover before I start again? I think I know who I’ll be going to.

2. I believe I’m already seeing something like lines on my chin — is there anything I can do in the meantime to help reduce scarring? Really scared she did permanent damage in just 8 sessions.

Thanks again

No there is nothing you can do to improve it, the damage is done… You dont have to wait, but giving it a modest amount of time to reccover before starting. Also make clear to the new electrologist that you are coming with potentially pre-existing electrolysis damage and that they are not responsible for it. When its well resolved, you can look into something like fractional laser treatment or microneedling to help reduce the appearance of any lines .Give it about 9-12 months before looking into either of those. Lets see if your skin can correct the issue without need for those measures.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I’ll come back and update when there’s an update to give :pray:

Hi there, I don’t see any pitting on your chin. Just be very careful when cleaning your face to not prematurely remove the scabs. If the scabs overtime are pulled off sooner, this may cause pitting. I would suggest taking a bit more time to allow your skin to heal between treatments. Have your electrologist avoid the areas that are still red and sensitive. Perhaps have her work on other areas. I would also suggest cleaning your skin with hydrogen peroxide for the first three days after your treatment. The hydrogen peroxide will draw out any impurities, oil, and dirt. It also heals the dermis so much more quickly. The redness on your skin will eventually disappear. Be kind yourself, and always communicate with your electrologist and let her know what’s going on.

I can imagine how stressful you was! I feel your pain, I have georgian blood and my hair is so strong and so thick, I am making foto and laser epilation for 15 years, and still I have them.
But last year I found hair reduction cream, I thought ok I will try, but was not really sure if it works, and can you imagine after 3 treatments just some areas with hair, I can tell that hair growth is reduced around for 60-70%. But I found out they men’s cream works better then regular body cream, and better after hot wax. Definitely recommend you Frénésies brand.