Is this combination of drugs effective? ANDREA?

I am a 22 year old hispanic female (with light olive skin color) that has a lot of black/thick hair growth pattern everywhere on my body (even on my face and chest). I was like this since I was very young (7 years old) and it became worse with time.

Recently, I saw an endocrinologist and he did some blood work and saw that my hormones are abnomormal (I am not sure which ones). However, I have regular monthly periods, I don’t have acne or hair loss, and I am not overweight.

He said that I have CAH (congenital adrenal hyperplasia). He prescribed me 50 mg of spironolactone and diane-35 per day. He said that the birth control is for keeping my periods regular since spironolactone messes up some female’s periods. Also, he will see me in 6 months from now in order to test my potassium levels and see if the medication is reducing my body hair.

Does this sound like a good combination of drugs to reduce my body hair?

please help :frowning:

Only persons engaged in the practice of medicine are qualified to answer your question. Please direct your question to a medical doctor.

I want to know what other people think of the combination and dosage of the 2 medications. On some forums, I read that 50 mg/day of spironolactone used for hair reduction is low.

It has a lot to do with the route of medication, pills through the GI tract would have a different effect than the same dosage through the skin, would have a different effect than the same dosage via injection or even mucus membrane tissue. Lots of ifs ands and butts.

I read that it’s best to start off at a lower dosage and see how the body responds to that then work your way up to a higher dosage. I know that even if I researched for days and tried to find the best dosage, it might not work the best on me. So I decided to take these meds and keep everyone updated. fingers crossed

Trust your doc and just follow the regimen he/she has put you on. 6 months is not a long time despite as restless as you might be feeling right now for results. The higher the dosage the more your side effects will be for any drug. Take pictures now of various body parts that concern you so you have something to compare the results to.

Thanks for the reply zaphairzap :slight_smile: I guess I will just have to trust my doctor. I will definitely take pictures for comparison and keep you guys updated.

I’m not going to second guess dosages with your doctor.He’s the expert. I will say though that spiroactone tends to have an antiandogen effect for 12-14 hours which is why most people taking it for this purpose are on a twice a day doseage. If you are on once a day, this is worth questioning with your doctor.

Seana