Is this a normal reaction?

I recently had electrolysis on my stomach area, it’s been 3 days and the scabs are quite large.
This is my first experience doing electrolysis, I’ve been doing a little reasearch and it seems like this isn’t quite right.

I guess I’m wondering why this reaction would occur and should I worry? I do have sensitive skin.

The day before I went in and did a small test patch that looked like a few tiny dots a few days later but for some reason after the main 1hr session I ended up with some large scabs in the following days.

I’m going back for another session in a week so I’m sure she will understand what went wrong but in the mean time I’m wondering if any of the professionals here could fill me in, just so i can be a bit more educated on what to expect.

It’s been 3 days since the treatment and I’m pretty sure it was thermolysis but apart from that I dont know much more.

1 Like

the wound size looks too large, but I’m not a professional. You probably shouldn’t treat it again in a week.

Yeah, I’m going back to do the area below this, just above the pubic bone.

I’ll definitely be leaving this area until it is fully healed!

I often used an epilator on my stomach and would always get ingrow hair that would take months to disappear… i wonder if my skin here is just too sensitive?

This is highly agressive treatment and as mentioned the scabs are too large. I wouldnt find these results acceptable.

The issue is with your electrologist, not your skin sensitivity.

I agree with the comments above. This treatment is too aggressive. If the treated hairs were similar to the hairs left behind, the amount/application of energy here was totally unnecessary. The smaller dots closer to your belly button are more within the limit of what is acceptable for body work.

My concern is that these results suggest the electrologist should have seen the overtreatment taking place during the treatment and made adjustments. If she wasn’t able to do this during the treatment, I have to wonder if she knows to make adjustments after seeing this image.

At the very least, show her your image and have a chat about how she will change her approach. If she doesn’t or if she tries to blame “sensitive skin” or some other excuse, don’t accept this.

“Sensitive skin” is a meaningless term cooked up by marketing experts to sell products and is NOT recognized as a legitimate medical state, condition, or diagnosis. Your problem has nothing to do with your skin and everything to do with the electrologist. This is a terrible case of severe overtreatment that should have never happened.

1 Like

No! This is not normal! I can say it from my persona experience. I had electrolysis in the past. Large volume electrolysis sessions on my genital area (longer than 5 hours) and I can definitely say that this is not normal. You need a different electrologist. Not sure where you’re located and if you have many options in your area but I would look for other options. I could recommend a couple of locations in Chicago: 1. Electrolysis 100% Permanent and 2. Precision Electrolysis. It looks like these are the top clinics for hair removal in Chicago. I had to fly to Chicago from NC jut because I had a similar experience in NC.
Electrolysis 100 offers new pain management options like Electrolysis with Intravenous IV Deep Sedation, Lidocaine Injections. Just make sure you do your research before committing to any electrologists.

If I were looking for electrolysis in the chicago area, I’d 100% hit up Kelly Inc.

2 Likes

Be sure your electrologist is giving you a brand new disposable probe (needle) each treatment. Most are in a protected wrapper, but not limited to this. They should open it in front of you. During a longer treatment I may need to use a few new probes. The probes may wear a bit, bend, hair debris build up and not limited to this. In my opinion the hairs are on finer side as seen in photo. The probe should be the size to accommodate the follicle. I’m not saying the electrologist used the incorrect size. Who knows??
Some of the areas seem singed or over treated spots, again I’m basing my thoughts on finer hair.

The temporary method you used in the past, you say: “I often used an epilator on my stomach” what we don’t know is, are all those hairs grown out yet? Per the photo looks like lots of snipped hairs in the redness or healing area. The hairs appear longer under the redness area. The epilator you use does it pluck the hair or trim it? A light shave is better if need be. However, leave it alone for one month before your electrolysis treatment. The practitioner may prefer to see the hair length. They can trim it if needed. Generally, hair takes longer to surface in the stomach/abdomen area and it can take longer to heal. It’s a covered up area with clothes.

Salt and warm water soaks for a few minutes works amazing to heal the skin. Pasty mixture is my fav. Like salt water at the beach heals the wounds they say.
Electrologists usually recommend post instructions home care for healing your skin.
There are over the counter products that can help too.
Be sure to use a little product first to be sure you aren’t allergic or sensitive to it.
If you are not happy with results, move on as they say.
Take care.
All the best.

I 100% agree this is over treatment, using too high el. Another thing to look into is if your are receiving electrolysis in a licensed/ unlicensed State. If in an unlicensed state…… you could have an electrologist working on you with no formal training thus resulting in your wounds / over treatment.
Please look into their licensing.
Also, please stop using the “epilator” it doesn’t make for a good treatment plan with electrolysis.

Certification verses licensing? If a state is unlicensed, that does not equate into excellent or poor treatment outcome. We have seen the most initialed electrologists, in licensed states, give poor skin results, along with other complaints, here on Hairtell over the years.

What you want to look for is an electrologist that has a certificate from an accredited electrolysis program, followed by years of service, with good consumer reviews. Word of mouth recommendations is the best assurance that you will receive a good treatment, in my opinion. Use your brain and instincts as to whether the office surroundings look clean. Ask about disinfection, sterilization, sanitation procedures. Observe everything.

Don’t be lured into licensed verses unlicensed as the best indicator for the best care. If a practitioner can’t show certification credentials, they probably can’t get insurance or purchase probes or an epilator. Many states are trending toward de-licensing and towards certification.

Deedra,
Thanks for the correction. You are right, there are many states that are “unlicensed” yet there are extremely professional electrologists that obtained certification or CPE licensing. I meant that by “look into the electrologists licensing”.
On the same note…there are MANY non- accredited electrology programs in licensed/ unlicensed states that are top notch and provide comprehensive practical and theory instruction. :boom: :blush: :boom: