Is this a normal amount of sessions for a unibrow?

Hi everyone,

New to these boards, but I wasn’t really sure where to turn to ask this question.

Essentially, I started electrolysis for my unibrow a few months ago. So far it has been 5 one hour sessions at ~$100 per session. While I see some noticeable reduction in general, it is still not completely gone and looks like it might take 2-3 more sessions for complete removal (a total of possibly ~$800). My electrologist tells me that the reason they don’t use a higher intensity to get rid of more hair in each session is because they do not want to risk severely damaging my skin, i.e. they want the electrolysis to be unnoticeable.

My question is, from your experience, does all this seem valid? Should a unibrow take this many sessions? Could it be done in less sessions and using a higher intensity or would this really damage my skin permanently?

This is certainly unusual. What method are you having? Ten minutes would typically remove everything.

Wow! one hour session for a unibrow seems a bit long. Is this the only area being treated in the one hour?

Uhm. It seems long. How is the situation of your unibrow? How much hair?

Hi,

It’s really hard to say because it depends on how much hair you have and how fast the electrologist is working (which may depend on modality).

This may help. It shows the gradual clearance of my sister’s glabella and how much time was spent on it at each session.

You can follow the link in the post for a larger size.
http://www.hairtell.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/74126/stoppit_tidyup.html#Post74126

As you can see, in the final photo, there is still fine hair which we removed later with electrologist Josefa.

Relating to this “eyebrow case.”

After practicing for 36 years and training electrologists in 12 countries I have discovered that it’s not “overtreatment” that is the general problem … it’s undertreatment.

For those “ready to pounce on me,” I am NOT saying you need to pummel the skin, and yes I know that “with our modern equipment, blah blah blah …. “ Yes, I know the “drill” I’m about to hear. Please, I’m “on board” and I agree with you! I’m not talking about your equipment!

Still, FEAR of damaging the skin can actually cause MORE damage. At this moment I’m working on a patient that tells me the following: Area cleared 20 times! Total time exceeding 100 hours (nearly $10,000). ONLY about 30-40% reduction after a full year. Only one-third of the total area was completed … most is still untreated. The patient said that there was never any post-treatment “expression” except for a little redness, and the skin was normal the next day. True to form, I am able to see hundreds of tiny scar/nodules where the hairs were removed (using this unnamed “gentle method”). How can this possibly happen?

Well, 20 times over an area is too much. Even though it appears as if little damage is taking place, indeed, scar tissue is building up in the constantly-assaulted follicle (remember what years of tweezing causes?). The goal should be to destroy the follicle the FIRST time; not “play with it.” After 36 years I can say without reservation that taking-out the follicle the first time yields NO long-term scar or any other “manifestation.” (And yes I know you can accomplish this with “our modern equipment.” I have modern equipment too.) I am not saying, “Destroy the skin!” It’s a balancing act that is easy for skilled electrologists. I’m talking skill … not machine or needle.

Somehow a few of you assume I’m “tearing up” the skin (a couple emails were brutal, no actually vicious). Yes, I am a bit “flip” on this subject; only because this conversation continues unabated for the last 36 years. Actually, my “after-treatment” probably looks exactly like yours. But, again, if you are doing bodywork and not FINISHING in 3 clearances … you are not (in my opinion only) doing the job.

Fear of damaging the skin causes more skin damage! Get in, kill the follicle the first time, and end up with perfect, clear, hairless skin. And, yes, I know you are doing this with all the great equipment we have. Still, you can overtreat and undertreat using any equipment or needle … it’s the skill of the operator.

Michael, your post is something I have come to learn over time and with experience.

As you say, it is a general problem. It is a significant problem for clients because, for example, if the hairs seem to be sliding out, there is just no way for them to know that the time they are putting in now is actually resulting in permanent hair removal.

Unless the client has a personal recommendation, one is just shooting in the dark.

I hope your post is taken on board.

It’s hard for me to let people I know have less than this kind of electrolysis experience now (the kind I have had). However, finding an electrologist who can even give a number or estimation of how many clearances they would need to do on an area to permanently clear it, is rare (for me). I will be honest, I don’t want to hear “12-18 months” anymore. Even if the way the client eventually goes about treatment is shorter sessions to gradually clear the area and then maintain it, the experienced electrologist SHOULD know how effective their work is and therefore how many clearances would be required. This also gives the client confidence.

p.s. Mairi, if you are reading this, it may help explain why I liked your reply to my question so much.

Thanks much (more than you know).

If an electrologist has 10 years, or so, of experience such a task is easy. Simply look at your own files! Take an average of the work you have completed (you have completed a job … right?), and then average the times. All the “variables” will jump out; for example the age, etc.

With these averages you can now explain “your average case” to the prospective patient. Be specific: hours for clearances and expected total time. It’s really not all that difficult. And yes, I go nuts when somebody says: Well, this will take about 2 years. What does 2 years mean? Five hours total, or 200 hours total?

Any chance that you could post a picture? Do you have any before pictures especially? Are you wanting ALL the hair removed right down to the tiny blond hair? People present with so many wants and variables. I have worked on many unibrows for almost an hour when the client desires that all the blond hairs be removed. I can see them perfectly. There are many hundreds! I do make my little speech about these hairs not being visible to anyone, but they see them and feel great relief after they are eliminated. This is about them - not me - and I deliver what they desire, but I think it is a waste of money to chase any hair that is not noticeable.

No one has paid me close to what you have spent. This is not a challenging area to finish. The first couple of appointments are longer than subsequent appointments. Most are completed in about 12 months as we take the time necessary to do what is needed for their unique problem and for the look that they desire.

I don’t know what your electrologist knows about your unique case. We spend much effort answering questions with so little detail about what is happening on the other side.

Wow, not liking what I am hearing so far.

I tried to take a picture, but my camera was not doing a good job of capturing the visibility of the hairs so I googled a picture that probably most closely resembles my current state.

I would describe it as a lot of fine but visible and seperate hairs, not like tightly sewn clumps of hair.

I’d like to have all the hair in the area removed, including the barely visible hairs (so as to have a sense of uniformity across my face), but I didn’t imagine it would/should take this long.

And the electrologist has me holding a metal device during the procedure, I believe that is blend, but I could be wrong.

From what I gather from most of your posts, if I were to get all of the remaining hairs removed in one session, it shouldn’t cause any type of visible/long-term damage to my skin?

I think I am going to call some other electrologists in the area tomorrow and get some more opinions.

Thanks so much for the feedback so far everyone!

Michael:

I’m not sure what you mean by “not playing with the hairs.” Does it mean turning up the intensity knob as high as it goes? Because I know some people who do that and the job still needs a lot more than 3 clearances.

Could the Secret be very good insertions? Or something else entirely? After all, as stoppit mentioned, the hair often seems to have epilated just fine, yet 3 months later you realize that only a small dent has been made in the overall density of the hair. :frowning:

(Few things are more disheartening that put in all the time, effort and money, sit there and grin the pain away like a perfect fool only to discover that maybe 20% of the hair treated actually died. If you are lucky that is. It’s no wonder that electrolysis can’t get off the ground as a profession, even though there are a few bright exceptions and it does work for individuals.)

electro_us3r: You are just getting treatment for the middle part of the eyebrows, right? And you haven’t had a complete clearance there yet?

I’m no pro but, in my humble experience as a client, this shouldn’t need 8 hours to clear, much less 5. Have you tried to measure how long she needs for each hair?

Michael gave us the key almost 20 years ago, the anchorage area is the real target. The difficulty is coagulating this area without harming the infundibulum and producing irreversible marks.

I think I have only ever had one Unibrow case that took me an hour or more to get to First Clearance, and that one had as many hairs as a thick Italian mustache, hairs thick as tree trunks, and I had to work from behind the client with my probe pointing at his feet because of the angles of insertion. As an out of town case, I knew that I may only have this one shot at working on this person, so I just told him that we were going in hell bent to totally clear out the area in one pass, and as such, it would be red, angry and possibly swell. He said, “Go for it!”

When we were done, (we did lots of other work that day) he became concerned about the amount of swelling in the eyebrow area. It had gotten as hard and swollen as the ball of the chin usually does on a first clearance for a man. I explained to him, that is why most people would not go so hard and fast on his case, but that it would be worth it in the morning. I told him to do his after care of tea tree oil and aloe vera and let it heal.

Over the next few days, the client freaked out. He had not kept up his recommended after care, had been scratching the area (because it was itchy, what with him NOT following the aftercare - aloe vera eases itchiness away) and he was starting to develop pustules and scabs in the area (mostly from his constant touching and scratching of the area). Tea tree oil overnight usually eliminates or reduces pustules and scabbing during the 72 hour post treatment window.

After many whiny frantic long distance phone calls the area resolved due to the tenacity of a moderately well functioning immune system, and the client calmed down. He even saw fit to book another trip to see me. In our subsequent visits, I never again needed so much time to work that area. A half hour became fifteen minutes, became five, became none.

Now if I had been using standard blend, as set out by the pre-sets on my machine, his version of a unibrow would have taken me two to three hours to do the first time, assuming he could have even withstood that much treatment in that area in that modality. Our subsequent treatments would have reduced but not to half an hour, but first to an hour and a half, and then to an hour, and so on.

Most practitioners don’t want to go too hard in any one area, because they know that many clients don’t listen to what you say about what to expect, how to keep up with post treatment, and even if they do, living it is different from hearing about it.

In this case, the client came back, and I got to prove that everything I said was true, from how the post treatment care makes it heal quicker, and with less visible manifestations, and also that less time, and less treatment sensation (translation - pain) would be involved.

On the other hand, I have other people, who come to me, have a hard case like this, I tell them all the same things, and yet, they freak out over the temporary post treatment stuff from the first 72 hours after treatment, and never call, answer my calls nor emails, nor come back again. I have one such person who, if he has not had any further treatment elsewhere, has a ragged line of demarcation along the neck line, because he freaked out over the swelling and tingling sensation that comes with removing 500 hairs per square inch in one ten hour session from a face, under the jawline, and part of the neck on a dehydrated person who smokes. This is one very large reason some practitioners won’t go hard on some cases. They are afraid of losing the client. I always tell my clients, “The first time is the worst time, and then I have to convince you to come back. It is all downhill from there, and gets easier and easier.”

One of the things that makes talking about electrolysis expectations difficult is that there are simply too many variables to say what anyone should expect from the combination of their hair problem, and their practitioner.

All the map services tell me that I should be able to drive from Buffalo to Manhattan in 6.5 hours. Personally, I have never come close to this, other than the one time I did the trip such that I arrived at 3am. During non vampire hours, it has always been 8 to 10 hours due to the traffic that starts to pick up around Palisades Park.

Funnier still are my trips to Harrisburg PA. It is supposed to take 6 to 6.5 hours, but the first time I went, it took me 14 hours… due to the blizzard I was foolishly driving through. The second time I went, it took me 12 hours… due to the “hundred year flooding event” that made maps useless, as you had no way of knowing what roads were passable, and which ones were under water.

So the moral of our story is, no one can tell you what the combination of your hair problem, plus your practitioner, factoring in your practitioner’s ideas about what she or he may be willing to do on you will result in, beforehand. Anything else is the equivalent of Armchair Quarterbacking. It is easy to say what you would have done in the same situation, but while I might take Joe Montana’s, or Peton Manning’s armchair quarterbacking more seriously than others, it would still be lacking the vision of seeing and feeling what that person was presented with from HIS point of view. Remember, we all watch football with a view from above. TV rarely gives you a view from the quarterback’s eye level and orientation — why? — because you can’t see what all is happening from that vantage point, that’s why!

(those not playing the game see that one guy all alone in the end-zone waving his arms in the air, but unfortunately, he is on the right hand corner of the endzone, and unless his quarterback is left handed, he is not likely to be seen or thrown to.)

Hello James.
Your above post is absolutely one of the finest I have ever read regarding our electrolysis experiences; beautifully expressed.
Thank you for putting into text
what so many of us have experienced.

I am in agreement with you, Arlene. James, my dear, you should have written an electrolysis book a long time ago. You are under valued and under utilized, my friend.

CHAPTER ONE - JAMES PEARLS

Electro,
Your google picture is helpful. So this is pretty typical hair for a male and again, it is not too challenging. I would have not hesitated to work on you for an hour, but that is with my set up and tools. You can sample some other electrologists and further research this? The first six months is the hardest, so don’t give up on someone so easily unless your instincts and common sense dictate otherwise. Were you waxing and tweezing prior to your first electrolysis session?

hi electro,

You have had 5 one hour sessions over a few months.
Does this mean you have had a treatment every 2 weeks?
Was the area entirely cleared each treatment?
It sounds like you have had blend treatment.
What was the skin reaction and healing like?

Talk to your electrologist and ask her to participate in our discussion so that we can all troubleshoot together.

The thing that sounds most unreasonable is when electrologists make assumptions and judgements without knowing the entire situation.

Dee, I bet you know who would be the first Spanish woman to buy that book. :smiley: Yes, myself. The second part would certainly be acquired by marriage “Teruel”.

James, you were BRILLIANT.