Is the male back the hardest area to remove hair from with laser/IPL?

I have read in several sites that the male back is the hardest body area to remove hair from with laser or IPL. Is this true?
I have had acceptable results on my back and I have now started to treat my hole body. Can I expect to get the same results or even better results on my other body areas?
Has anyone got some experience about this?

I have read in several sites that the male back is the hardest body area to remove hair from with laser or IPL. Is this true?
I have had acceptable results on my back and I have now started to treat my hole body. Can I expect to get the same results or even better results on my other body areas?
Has anyone got some experience about this?

For me, the back was easier to treat than other areas. The chest was easy to treat too! The first laser treatment on my back, with an Apogee 40, remove 50% of the hair. I could smell the hair burning and I could hear the hairs popping out of the follicles!

For me the hardest area for the laser to treat has been the arms. I had some success with the Lightsheer diode and Lyra-i Nd:YAG. But now the remaining hair is finer and more difficult for the laser to treat. I will be trying the Cutera Prowave 770 and the Cutera Coolglide in the coming weeks on the arms. Cutera is claiming that finer hair can be treated with their systems. Well, I will find out whether it’s true or not.

One reason the arms are difficult to treat is that the skin is darker than other areas. I could not even try the Lightsheer on my lower arms because the skin is so dark there. After a few months out of the sun, the upper arms fade enough that a diode laser can be used.

I also think that when the hair grows out of the skin at a severe angle (less than 45 degrees) the laser doesn’t work quite as well for some reason. While I had good results on the chest, the hairs on the side of the chest were more resistant.

RJC2001

from what I’ve read, male’s shoulders are hardest to treat.

I’ve had my back, shoulders, upper arms and abs done. On my abs the results are great, on my middle and lower back the results are also great. But there are still many dark hairs on upper back, although there has been some reduction. I’ve had a total of 15 treatments. To answer your question, from all these areas that I’ve had LHR done, by far the one that has responded the least to the laser has been the shoulders. It hasn’t responded at all, there has been no reduction.

RJC, you told me in another post that you did LHR on your shoulders and it worked really well… I was wondering which laser did you use on your shoulders and how many treatments did you need?thnks

I’ve had my back, shoulders, upper arms and abs done. On my abs the results are great, on my middle and lower back the results are also great. But there are still many dark hairs on upper back, although there has been some reduction. I’ve had a total of 15 treatments. To answer your question, from all these areas that I’ve had LHR done, by far the one that has responded the least to the laser has been the shoulders. It hasn’t responded at all, there has been no reduction.

RJC, you told me in another post that you did LHR on your shoulders and it worked really well… I was wondering which laser did you use on your shoulders and how many treatments did you need?thnks

The vast majority of my shoulder hair was removed with the Apogee and the Lightsheer. Once you have had a few treatments and the remaining hair is finer, the Lightsheer is the way to go. The Lightsheer has more power than most lasers, and it can be fine tuned with the pulse width too.

I probably had 8 treatments and 90% reduction. There is not enough hair left there to justify more laser of IPL treatments. It is hard to shave the back of the shoulders, so I will most likely get the stragglers with electrolysis, and it won’t take that long to get them.

My arms have been the most stubborn, especially the lower arms. But I have not had as many treatments there. They are too dark for the Lightsheer unless a long 400ms pulse width is used. I have had reduction, but the amount remaining is bothersome enough that I shave them every few days. I may try a few more laser treatments there. The skin is very dark there and that is one of the things that has hindered the lasers, so I may have to go with a high power Nd:YAG then finish off with electrolysis. Cutera claims their products will get the finer hairs. I am going to schedule a demo with it and I will find out just how good it is first hand.

RJC2001