Is pulling hair out making this worse?

Hello all

I have been led to believe (by other interent advice) that tweezing (pulling hair out with a tweezers) is a bad idea. Why i am not certain.

However on another site they state that if you are pulling unwanted body hair that is fine and in fact repeated tweezing can damage the hair follicle and in time you may have reduced regrowth.

Is there a consensus on the dangers of tweezing and if it can in time actually “kill” the hair follicle?

it depends on the person. in some people on certain areas, plucking or waxing the hair can cause the hair to become more coarse because blood flow is stimulated to the area to “fix” it.

Improper plucking can cause scar tissue to develop on areas like the eyebrows. In that case, it may be impossible for hair to grow back.

Lower leg hair gets thinner with age whether one waxes or not because there isn’t as much blood to nourish the hair since most people’s circultation to the lower extremites decreases with age.

Thx for the replies so far. What is the definition of improper plucking?

Pulling the hair out the opposite way it is growing in the follicle.

It really depends on the individual. I’ve plucked my eyebrows on a semi regular basis for quite a while. I haven’t noticed any difference in regrowth.

My mother has plucked her eyebrows since who knows when, and she hardly ever has to pluck anymore. I have to keep at it (actually I had the electrologist take over).

If you suspect any kind of androgen sensitivity, it is highly imperative that you do not pluck/wax/thread anywhere on your face (except maybe eyebrows–no androgen receptors there). It isn’t the blood itself that causes face hair to get thicker or darker; it’s the androgens in the blood that rush to the follicle after you’ve plucked. My mother plucked “peach fuzz” whenever it annoyed her, and nothing came of it. She’s never had the androgen sensitivity that I have, so plucking for me was a huge mistake.

Plucking isn’t good for your skin, anyway, unless it’s just a stray here and there.

HI there.
U used to pluck the hair on my legs as well.
The reason why i started to pluck is because after i would go to salon to get wax… i had soo many hairs left. ( my hair grows in all different dirrection). I used to use rotary epilator as well…HORRIBLE! i GOT SUCH A BED INGROWTH PROBLEM, so i evetually i stoped.
I had no idea that can cause scars.
If i didnt notice any chage in hair growth, does that mean
that no scar tissues were formed?? ??
When u wax u pull ur hairs out in oposite dirrection of hair growth… and by plucking with tweezer i did just opposite…

I dont understand is it worse to pluck it with tweezers or waxing? Is there a difference?? ( for scaring and getting hyperpigmentation)
Anways… i started now my laser treatement
Fingers crosed :slight_smile:

P.S After reading those treatds PLUCKING HAIRS…
nO WAY I would ever pluck it again!

No difference between plucking and waxing except that waxing “plucks” out a zillion hairs at a time, while plucking takes out one or two at a time. Both are bad if you are hormonally vulnerable, like I am; however, I have a girlfriend who is not, and waxing works great for her.

I hope your laser works for you and doesn’t induce growth. With hormonally vulnerable people, and males with a lot of testosterone, it often induces more hair growth; for people without that vulnerability or excess it can work miracles. Good luck!

hi
i my case i cant blame unbalanced hormons for my hairiness ( only my father :grin:
I hope laser will work too. i am counting on it! at leats some reduction will be good…
i have a lot of red spots on my legs… i hope they will evetually fade a bit? :confused:

laser doesn’t “often induce more growth”. this is only an issue on women’s faces and men’s upper back/shoulders, and only when treating fine hair and more often on darker skin. no such concern with laser hair removal for this person’s legs.

plucking is more pain full to me and time consuming

i’ve had a uni-brow (one single eyebrow) since i was a little girl. and i started plucking when i was a freshman in high school i am now 25. and my hair has always been the same. not less not more just exactly the same. the uni is still there and i continue to pluck it away

Tweezing is fine on the eyebrows because the eyebrows are a different animal altogether.

I think plucking hair or even shaving it makes it worse. The hair gets thicker, sometimes there is irritation and it produces chicken skin… I do think that the option of laser is really better…

Shaving does not affect hair growth. It does not make it worse. Now say that one hundred times! :eek:

The best way to pluck hair is to stretch the skin gently, grip the hair firmly close to the root with the tips of the tweezers, pull the hair gently, firmly and evenly from the skin. (if you yank the hair out it may break off at the surface of the skin and this can lead to ingrown hairs)