Is it worth it?

I have a lot of body hair, fortunately not coarse although quite dark. I shave legs, bikini and underarms and use lotions on arms on summertime. I tweeze eyebrows but I’ve never ever touched my upperlip hair (not really a lot but it’s there)because it’s baby soft and I don’t want it to get all coarse and nasty. Waxing gives me the shivers because I tried them on legs and eyebrows for a while but that used to peel off my skin as well and not to mention the PAIN!!! I’m tempted to give vaniqa or laser a try but I’m not sure if it’s worth it. Any suggestions?

Vaniqua must be continually applied and it does not remove hair, it only lengthens the time between hair removal. You also need to keep applying it - for the rest of your life. As soon as you stop everything returns to normal. Now, even if your health insurance covered the cost of the creme (around $50) that is very expensive, especially if you wish to use the tiny tube on your legs.

Vaniqa hasn’t been approved for use on areas other than the face…

It is a bit pricey initially, but I have been using the same tube for over a year now (guess I should check the expiration date…), so it can last quite a long time depending on the size of the area that it is being used on. If I remember correctly, I was able to get it for about $35 last year. I use it only on my upper lip and have had fantastic results.

That is true. Vaniqa hasn’t been approved for use on areas other than the upper lip and chin. And, I would not begin using it on larger parts of the body as when you apply the lotion over your entire body, you will get a lot of absorption into your system. And, no one has studied what happens when you apply this lotion all over your entire body - you may get a systematic effect. If I were you, I’d be very hesitant about applying this cream all over your entire body. I don’t think you should be the guinea pig, you should wait for studies to be done and ensure it is okay first because many perscribed creams can cause overdose if applied to large areas of the body for a long period of time.

I have been using Vaniqua for about a year, and have coarse, black hair all over my chin, lip area, and cheeks. I have an olive complexion and sensitive skin, to boot. Vaniqua has not really been THAT effective, as I am still waxing about every week. It gets frustrating, and I’m thinking of stopping the cream altogether, especially if my husband and I want to get pregnant.

To NETARIS… The ONLY thing that makes hair grow on a female in areas where females usually do NOT grow hair but males DO grow hair is extra MALE HORMONE. If this a diagnosable and treatable condition you are covered by medical insurance and this includes electrolysis treatments.

This hormone can come from a few different locations in your body but ONLY an endocrinologist can track it down and know how to treat it. Find a young female endocrinologist (preferably at a big medical center) as she will be more empathic and more up-to-date on the subject.

Hey,
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but has anyone heard about a product called propil by collins paris. It claims that if you use it after a waxing it can eventually act as a permanent hair removal method. It can only be used in salons but it doesn’t look to be too expensive. Especially if you compare it to laser prices etc. It claims that on average after 15-20 waxing treatments, applying this creme afterwards acts like a “cure” for body hair. Can’t really find any independent reviews on it, so was wondering if anyone had tried it? If it does work, its amazing, and the fact that its a product used in salons seems promising. As surely salons woldn’t use a product that didn’t work, if they want to get people coming back?
thanks for any help.
ps and if it does work, why isn’t there more about it?

Salons will sell you what ever you will buy, what ever makes you feel good, and they won’t get into trouble as long as they don’t harm you.

Something that doesn’t work, but doesn’t harm you is not going to get them into trouble.

There is a VERY expensive salon in my area charging $100 per hour for so called electrolysis treatments with an electrode gel machine even though that is proven quackery. No matter how many lawyers sue them for refunds, they still go on, because the average person just pays their money, and eventually either runs out of money, or just gives up and goes away.

Thanks, I guess if it really did work it would be everywhere by now. It’s so annoying that there are all these scams out there, you never know what actually works and what’s just a waste of time and money. Thanks again for your help.

electrolysis would be a simple easy PERMANENT solution for your upper lip hair. it’s also faster to remove it if you haven’t touched it before with waxing etc. i got that and eyebrows done and am very happy with results.

It was mentioned above that if you have a diagnosable condition health insurance will cover electrolysis. I am thinking about starting electrolysis soon. Will it cover vaniqa also? I was told I might have PCOS so I am going to see a naturopath since I can’t find an endocrinologist on my insurance that deals with it or hirsutism in general.
Is hirsutism itself a “diagnosable condition” that will warrant insurance covering these things?

What about having high testosterone but in the high of the “normal” range? Is that good enough for insurance to cover? I always paid in full for Vaniqa in the past and my blood tests showed as almost the highest possible in the normal range.It was enough for them to prescribe me spironalactone years ago.

I would assume that if I, at least, was diagnosed with PCOS that it would be a diagnosable condition. Is that correct? They told me to come back when I want to have kids to find out for sure but the endocrinologist said PCOS was definitely a possiblility.

Is high testosterone and PCOS related or totally seperate hormonal issues?

thanks, alli

you should be able to search here for previous posts on electrolysis and insurance coverage. it’s been discussed in great detail. use the advanced search option and expand to 4-5 years.