Is it true that galvanic and blend electrolysis kills nearby follicles?

I am planning to remove hair from my hairline. I heard that galvanic and blend electrolysis kills not only hair I want to remove but also the surrounding hair? Is that true? Thank you

1 Like

no it’s not correct unfortunately. Blend and galvanic are a chemical reaction, and that reaction is limited to the follicle which contains the chemical ( lye).
It is more common for this to occur with termolysis however, as the energy from one follicle can affect adjoining follicles as well.

1 Like

Misinformation. Not true. Electrolysis is follicle specific and therefore the best option for hairlines.

1 Like

My electrologist has looked over my upper lip, which has had some very heavy galvanic overtreatment, and claims to see “collateral damage”. This shouldn’t happen with typical treatment, though, as the lye does not diffuse readily through the skin. While I suppose this can happen with thermolysis, I don’t think it will with a competent operator. Full disclosure: I am not an electrologist.

1 Like

No, the lye (NaOH) which is formed with galvanic electrolysis technique, remains confined to one follicle only, it cannot traverse the connective tissue to travel to another follicle. While with thermolysis there is a circle of injury around the follicle where it is done, when two or more circle of injury overlap, it can lead to skin damage. Galvanic technique of electrolysis is the safest technique of electrolysis.

1 Like

Sorry Galvanic is no safer nor more dangerous than any other modality.
ANY modality can have overtreatment ad therefre neegative skin reaction. There was a recent thread here in which a galvanic electrolysis recipient had significant blanching f the skin from galvanic overtreatment. Those skin reactions may be different from modality to modality, but it’s impossible to say one is safer than another.

1 Like

I want to add something important to what Seana explained.
Every modality is potentially dangerous and potentially safe.
Electrolysis is 90 % art.The most important thing is the SKILL of the electrologist, not the modality, not the probe or the machine she used.
People must look for electrologist who can kill the hair at first time, make the minimum possible skin injury, for the minimum time possible. Everything else is secondary.

3 Likes

Is there anyway to make thermolysis kill only single follicle and not spread to adjoining follicles?

yes. You prevent overtreatment by spreading out your work in dery dense areas and not attempting to clearcut the area until later when you have already thinned it out . This is 100% proven to prevent overtreatment due to overlapping energy in adjoining follicles.

2 Likes

Thank you! I will make sure my electrologist know this. Please correct me if i am wrong, but this thinning technique still does not solve problem with spreading. I am planning to remove hair form my hairline. So even I do not get over treatment, thermolysis still kills surrounding follicles, which makes it not suitable when you want high accuracy removal such as hairline? Thank you

I think there’s been a misunderstanding about the likelihood of thermolysis affecting hair in surrounding follicles. Thermolysis requires considerable precision to be truly effective, so if the heat is able to affect other follicles, this is very unlikely. If you’ve found a skilled electrologist, it’s not even a concern for you.

You can ask your electrologist to treat you in a specific modality, maybe blend or galvanic, but you can trust they will make the correct choice.

1 Like

I’m the one with the blanched skin! I have some pits, too. This doesn’t answer your question about overlapping treatment, but I’ve seen several galvanic operators, and their methods differ WILDLY. “Galvanic” does not equal “safe”. It truly is operator dependant.

Thank you, great question that I am sure many others have the same thoughts.
As an operator of multi probe galvanic electrolysis for over 30 years, I can assure you this is the perfect method for your hairline. There is not enough current to force the caustic to infringe on other follicles so you have chosen a very safe method - enjoy the new hairline!

In expert hands, neither the DC (galvanic), nor the HF, nor the combination of both have to affect adjacent follicles. In the wrong hands, any method included pure galvanic can destroy interfollicular tissue to the point of affecting a group of 2,3 or more follicles, resulting in a permanent scar.

In my opinion, it is not very professional or ethical to suggest that other methods (other than your own) are more aggressive or less effective.

I have completed dozens of hairlines with the flash method, with slow thermolysis, and with Blend, and I can demonstrate by means of photos that the condition of the skin was not only the same, but better than before.

5 Likes

I agree with you, the skill is very important in electrolysis for hair removal. Each modality has its own merits and demerits.