Is it ok to treat an area while it’s still sore from the prior session?

Hi! Would really appreciate some advice. I recently started blend electrolysis on my face (cis female, no PCOS, but terrible hair growth after a bad reaction to laser). I’m going to a new electrologist after almost 2 years of failed thermolysis only with someone else (Poor technique, low heat? Who knows. I’m trying not to think about it anymore and have cut my $$$ & time lost to mentally move on). Anyways, I’ve had 1 trail/consult + 2 actual sessions. We’re working towards a first clearance which I’m really hoping will happen by session 5 but let’s see. Thing is, that I currently go once a week for 3 hours and basically a new area is “cleared” & then the next week any new hairs on that area + another new area are cleared and so on etc. So far, upper lip and chin have been “cleared” (1st session + 2nd session respectively) and now tomorrow any new hair on them will be removed and a new area(s) “cleared”. She spends less time on the cleared area the week after but says they still need to be treated. This is the process we’re using to reach the first clearance and I think it makes sense. However, since I go weekly and the sessions are quite intense, the areas worked don’t fully heal by the next session. Now what does “heal” for the most part are the scabbing, red dots, and swelling (which is a LOT the first few days but gradually goes done). But the areas works on are still a little sore to touch, tight, and tender by the time 1 week rolls around and it’s time for the next session. While I hate the pain (much more than the old electrologist), I am fine with it if it means successfully killing the hair. What I am concerned about is the potential for permanent and long-term damage. I think this electrologist’s strategy makes sense but I want to get a second opinion on whether this could cause damage to my skin or nerve endings. Please help!

Yours is a very interesting question: should an area be worked on every week; even when the healing process is not complete?

You did ask for an opinion. So, for clients with a lot of heavy hairs, and significant treatment that might results in scabs, I only work on the area every 2 or 3 weeks or longer.

After a treatment, skin cells go to work to quickly close the wound with “wound collagen.” If the previously treated area is worked again, it’s believed that the inflammatory process starts all over again. Thus, the already healing follicles retrograde somewhat as certain cells (macrophages) “gobble up” all the imperfect tissue, including the new wound collagen. However, there does NOT seem to be anything negative about this type of strategy. Even though you are constantly re-starting the healing process, there is no evidence that the outcome will be worse.

Like I said, however, I won’t re-work an area every week (large hairs). If I’m doing a beard, say on the upper lip, I want to see total healing before I continue. Again, that’s just my opinion and treatment strategy.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your response! So no inherent nerve or pigment damage right? I just want to feel reassured and safe as I continue. I do technically have vitiligo although it’s controlled. I also did speak to her during my appointment and we agreed to give the upper lip and chin a week’s rest so there’s a bit of a gap, but she said she will need to do 30 minutes on the upper lip next session (which I understand). I’m still experiencing tightness on the corners of the upper lip when smiling or talking “widely” but if it’s temporary than I can bare it (my last treatment in upper lip and chin was Jan 30 so it has been more than a week but also I’m guessing first clearances are more intense?). I just didn’t have anywhere near this level of swelling/tightness the last two years during thermolysis only and would easily heal within 12 hours. BUT I also didn’t see any results! I know this electrologist is using blend and also a higher level of heat for the thermolysis component of it than the previous electrologist was (I’m assuming). So as long as this is temporary and will hopefully only be something I deal with these first couple months. I’ll bare the pain for now.

When we get our new equipment up-and-running, my first video (in the new format) will be on the upper lip. The upper lip is the number one important area AND the number one danger area. There is a lot to cover on this topic and, sadly, I simply cannot cover all the important items in a few sentences … impossible. You’ll be able to find the new material (and free publications) on my somewhat new website: www.electrologynow.com