Is galvanic more expensive long term?

Hi all,

I’m currently getting galvanic electrolysis treatments on my face/beard area. Doctors have debated whether I have PCOS or not as I don’t really have any other symptoms, my hormones have always tested normal so they’ve also said it could be idiopathic hirsutism where I’m just sensitive to androgens. (Just recently started spironolactone anyway)

Practitioner charges $160/hr and we are averaging about 65/hairs per hour. After several treatments I asked her input how much hair she thinks I have. Obviously a very rough ballpark since she’s not a fortune teller, but she thinks I could be in the 15K range. When I do rough calculations, that would cost me $37,000 just to permanently remove my facial hair. If it even works.

Feeling very discouraged. That is so expensive. Does Blend tend to be less expensive over the long haul compared to galvanic, or ultimately long term do you end up paying the same amount regardless of the modality?

Thank you for any guidance

75$/hour here.

@Jams Hi, where are you based? Are you having multi or single needle galvanic? Did your practitioner give you a reason why she is not using blend or even Thermolysis on you? What machine are they using? What exactly is the treatment plan you’ve been recommended? I am not sure how they can estimate 15K as nobody is Psychic and it’s impossible to know how many hairs are going to have to be treated.

Insane price. I don’t know what her overhead costs are and its her business, so she can charge what she wants. The other modalities, Blend and Thermolysis electrolysis, work too! You will get more hairs removed per hour. Good skill and experience with these modalities will take you forward and please you greatly. FACT: people want the hair removed quickly. Sixty-five hairs is too slow for this age we live in and galvanic electrolysis gives all of us the underserving description that electrolysis is tedious and slow, when it does not have to be.

I’m referring only to the slowness part of galvanic, not the effectiveness part. It will work, just like blend and thermolysis.

1 Like

I can understand the pricing, especially if this is out in BC or someplace like it. Highest rates I’ve seen are from there . I’ve seen some practioners charging more for blend or galvanic.
There’s not a lot of reason not to do blend. Or thermolysis for that matter. They are alljust a means towards an end. I have PERSONALLY seen that blend is every bit as effective as galvanic alone. For all of these modalities, thesecret, honestly lies in accurate insertions and finding the sweet spot where the hairs release with little to no resistance every single time. This is the case, no matter the modality and destroying the stem cells and dermal papillae is critical to this process. These are all just a means to an end.
Every modality has it’s advantages and disadvantages. They all accomplish the same goal with virtually identical results.
I tend toward 60-70 MA of galvanic current regardless of whether I am doing galvanic or blend. This will easily formulate 60-120 units of lye over 10-20 seconds. From a a galvanic standpoint alone, this is enough , warmed with thermolysis that combined with accurate insertions the coarsest hairs will be dispatched with ease, ESPECIALLY if a treat and wait strategy is performed, giving that lye longer before epilation to act on the tissues it must destroy. If I’m really wanting to destroy that hair however, I’m going to perform a blend treatment. Honestly, this wont give me much longer of a treatment thatn pure single needle galvanic would. We are still going to have to create some lye, heat it and get that insertion just right.
All of that said, I do 99% of my work in thermolysis alone. I have, maybe 3 cases currently utilizing blend treatments. This gives me the greatest efficiency . I can easily treat 600 or more hairs, and given the same accuracy of insertions as a blend treatment, achieve a nearly identical kill rate.
Sometimes rates can be based on skill of the practitioner. This however is the exception, and not the rule. For example I remember Michael saying he charged about $90 an hour and I believe Josefa’s rates are very reasonable as well. We know Dee’s rates arent that! overall it’s some where about 1 1/2- twice the rate of most electrologists? She would have to be extremely highly skilled to command that price in my market or among many of my clientele.
I’ve finished a few younger transitioners in 60 hours or so using thermolysis with spectacular results. I have a few more in the pipe that will accomplish that as well.I dont think any of them would say that the modality used on them has made a difference to the end result but I think every one of them would agree it didnt cost them anywhere close to $37000

1 Like

My rate is $96 per hour, Seana. I haven’t even adjusted enough for inflation, but I can do what I want because it’s my business. I know of new graduates or those with far less experience who are charging well over $100 per hour. Regardless, that $160 per hour and 65 hairs per hour will grow old very soon and the client may feel very distressed.

1 Like

60 GBP here in England has been the “standard” for probably a decade, for the obvious easy calculations.