Is Apilus a good machine?

Hi everyone!

I remember registering here about 3 years Ago inquiring about electrolysis, as it was at that time the practitioners in France seemed to be mostly unskilled at it. As I could not afford going abroad to get treated I put it aside and considered LHR for a while as there was a dermatologist in my area using the alexandrite… but I didn’t because I was really scared of it ending up not working/paradoxical hypertrichosis. Also I have quite some grey and white hairs.
I did try the Philips IPL machine at home, it worked wonders on my legs but has had ZERO effect on my face lol, I was pissed off because I had read a review from someone with PCOS on Amazon saying it was working although she had to do touch up more frequently than “normal” people, then when I looked further that commenter had copied and pasted the same comment for another machine and had had both for FREE.

I’ve mostly continued plucking my facial hair, sometimes waxing my mustache (wax never worked on my chin), and trimming it a lot (thanks masking in helping me not tweeze as much as I used to)
It’s been about three weeks now I’ve stopped plucking my hair altogether and keep trimming it as short as I can every other day. I say fck off to people judging me for my hair that I have NO control over tbh but I’m still considering getting rid of it forever mostly because I have folicullitis that is annoying.

There now is a clinic in my area opened that proposes electrolysis (of course the price is quite high) using the Apilus xCell Pro machine which I had heard about before somewhere here I think… I know the machine isn’t going to do wonders if the practitioner isn’t good but as I’ve heard they are supposedly trained to know how to use it. The first session is supposedly free of charge so I’ve been considering going to at least ask questions.

I have PCOS but don’t take the pill/antiandrogens as I have had a bad reaction to being put on the pill (diane 35). I lost a lot of weight from 2020-2021 then gained back last year after my cat died. And after catching long covid I’m unable to work out for the moment being but I hope to be able to lose them again as I know my triggers. I know being untreated could “wake up” dormant hair but I’ve read that another person with PCOS managed to go with doing one to two touch up sessions at most per year… which I’d honestly be okay with lol (I’m also ethnically Eastern European looking so I guess it wouldn’t be as much of an issue as It would for Mediterranean women)

My facial hair is mostly coarse black hair, but with some greys and few whites. Mustache is a mix coarse at the ends of my lips and fuzz in the middle. about 3/4 coarse piece of hair under my lip too.

You are asking the wrong question. The machine brand is irrelevant. It is the skill of the electrologist that determines the final outcome, not the equipment. When you go to a restaurant, do you inquire if the food is cooked on a gas or electric stove or the brand name of the oven?

Apilis xCell is a good machine but it doesn’t guarantee superior results to other machines. It all comes down to the level of training, skill and experience of your provider. Dectro International which makes the Apilus machine has been recently allowed by French authorities to establish electrolysis training in France so you will see more electrolysis providers with better training than there ever was in France.

3 Likes

Good news indeed that Dectro International is touching down in France. Their products and educational services are a great gift to the world of the hairy. I have used the Apilus Xcell Pro since 2014. My hands have touched and used ALL the major brands of epilators. I don’t rely on word of mouth. I have done ALL modalities. I have settled on the tools and modalities I prefer to use and that happens to be Apilus.

Removing hair permanently is about energy to the follicle, in order to disable the follicle. All epilators provide energy in different forms and hopefully, all electrologists are skilled to use those tools. For me, it is less of a struggle to use the tools I prefer after actually using other epilators.

Yes, the higher end Apilus epilators are fabulous, as long as they have a person with a brain and training using them.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will take a first appointment at that clinic considering it’s free of charge for the first. I’ve seen reviews saying they also would rather take a few hairs at a time for the upper lip which is good advice I’ve read here so I’m hopeful now. I’ll come back when it’s done to give feedback, maybe there’s a spark of hope for us French!

There is always hope. Good luck.

Are physicians still the only ones able to perform electrolysis in France?