IPL or Laser?

Which is more effective,IPL or Laser? I’ve heard that laser is painful and IPL is relatively painless,how true is it? :fearful:

I have heard just the opposite. IPL is more painful and has more side effects since it uses many different wavelengths of light. It can be effectiv though. I have read a few magazine articles that claim IPL is the latest and greatest, even better than laser but I don’t know the expertise of the author.

RJC2001

Most of the people who claim IPL is the best are IPL users. Most anecdotal evidence suggests IPL has higher side effects and worse results than lasers.

I’d just like to drag this thread up from the depths! :grin:

I am looking for a clinic at the moment, and am just in the ringing-around stage.

It looks like my treatment options are:
A) Coolglide laser (Nd:YAG) - this seems to be by far the most common.
B) IPL Multilux
C) IPL Eclipse

Now, the Coolglide people say the IPL machines do not specifically target melanin in the hair, but instead target “darkness” of any kind, and so there is a risk of doing permanent damage to your skin pigment, if IPL is performed incorrectly.

However the IPL people say their machines are much safer and newer.

:confused:    

RJC2001, in another post you said:
</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by RJC2001:
<strong>I have switched to the Aurora IPL/RF system because of the finer hairs that remained on my arms, along with a few on my chest. The Aurora does work better on finer hairs than the Lightsheer and I really noticed it on my arms. The skin on my arms is darker than on my chest so I only used the Aurora on them because it is less likely to cause scabbing and blotchiness.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Now, that sounds as though what you’re saying is quite the opposite of what the Coolglide practitioners say. Could you, or anyone, clarify?!

Also, has anyone used both IPL and Nd:YAG laser, and how did the two compare? Can anyone recommend any of the above machines I have to choose from?

[ January 06, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Aitaronz ]

Originally posted by Aitaronz:
</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>C) IPL Eclipse</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>are you sure of the spelling? because there is an IPL system called Ellipse!

[ January 10, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Lady_Persia ]

ahhh… no, I only got that information over the phone, so I could have heard it wrong!

(Though I think “Eclipse” is a much better name for a laser! :grin: )

BUMP!

Anyone got any opinions at all on the IPL versus laser issue?!

A local IPL clinic offers treatment at less than half the price of the laser clinics (nearly a third, in fact, for some places!). So obviously, that’s pretty tempting. However, when I asked one of the laser clinic technicians why she used laser, she told me that IPL had burned her in the demonstration by the salesman - not a good sign!

Any opinions either way would be greatly appreciated!

I went for my electro. today and the lady that was doing the electro. told me they just got in a new machine and that it’s not laser and it’s closer to electrolysis but can cover a larger area like laser, I’m not sure if it’s IPL but they are going to get all the info this thursday on this new machine. She told me that it’s suppose to be a lot more effective then laser and it’s safer but it costs a little more than laser but not as much as electolysis. I’ll get all the info next week when I go and pass it on to you guys.