'IPL' - Is this any good?

I was looking for a somewhere that does Electrolysis near me and I came upon this:

Want to get rid of that unsightly body hair for good?

Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a laser treatment that removes hair permanently. It works by selectively damaging actively growing hair follicles and causing their death. After some repeat sessions, almost all of the hair will be permanently removed. IPL is the next step on from laser and electrolysis, is more comfortable, and you will need fewer treatments.

Has anyone heard of this and is it worth doing?
Thanks in advance.
John.

If you click on the search feature and put IPL in the keyword box, you will get a wealth of discussion on the pros and cons of this system.

It is not worth it, in my opinion, but you go do your research and make your own choice.

Thanks, the only other option I could find was LHE (Choices are limited around here), I ran a quick search for it here and found nothing. Here’s what their website said:

The most advanced permanent hair removal system available, will even treat fair hair. The LHE laser works effectively and safely, providing progressively permanent hair removal on all skin types. Blonde or grey hair can also be treated, although generally more treatments will be required.

Given the choice between the 2 which should I go for (I want to remove excess eyebrow hair)?

Thanks,
John.

Good God Man! If you want eyebrow hair removed, GET ELECTROLYSIS! You can’t do LASER around your eyes anyway.

Besides, electrolysis is the gold standard of hair removal. It is the only proven permanent system, and it works every time on everry type of hair.

Good God Man! If you want eyebrow hair removed, GET ELECTROLYSIS! You can’t do LASER around your eyes anyway.

Besides, electrolysis is the gold standard of hair removal. It is the only proven permanent system, and it works every time on everry type of hair.

I vote with James on this one. It’s a relatively small area, and I would not be anxious to do laser near the eyes. There is really no reason not to do electrolysis there.

If you were doing your back or chest, I would say start with laser, finish with electrolysis. But for the eyebrows, electrolysis makes more sense.

The claims they make for LHE do not seem realistic. I have yet to see a laser or IPL that works on fair hair with any consistency. The Aurora IPL/RF does remove light and white hairs, but it will not get all of them in my experience.

RJC2001

Ok, Can someone who isn’t completly clueless like me have a look here: http://www.annemcdevitt.com/pages/prices.htm
and tell me if any of the methods there would be suitable. This seems to be my last option.

Stick with Diathermy and Blend.

While reading the site, keep in mind that Diathermy is the same thing as Thermolysis, High Frequency(HF), Radio Frequency(RF) and has different types of Diathermy/Thermolysis called Flash, Micro-Flash, and Pico-Flash.

Knowing that, you will find much more in this site being relevant to you.

Personally, I’d give IPL a miss. I wasted alot of money on it and there was very little change in the amount of hair present. I’ve seen far better results with electrolysis!

Thanks Guys,
I have my first session on Friday, I’ll try and post updates. I wish I had started this a long time ago.

Hello again,
Here’s an update: I’ve had 3 sessions so far, 1x30 mins and 2x15 mins. I had the first 2 sessions with the same person. After them the skin was red but not swollen. They did give me a tube of cream to put on the area but it’s sort of like a foundation (makeup) and is noticeable (Men don’t wear makeup around these parts). I was told not to use witch hazel as it could dry out the skin. The area looks great the following day but some hair grows in after a few days.
Session 3 was on sat with a different person, it hurt a lot more this time and today there are a few small scabs that I didn’t have after the other sessions. I did drink a lot of alcohol the night before so this might explain the pain (can anyone confirm this?) but the scabs are new, Would this be because the setting was too high or should I expect this?

I have another question, I use Clinique scruffing lotion and M-lotion every day and glycolic acid once a week, could these products have a negative effect of the treated area?

Thanks again for all the advice, I wish more people knew about this site. There’s so many people in the hair removal sector who seem to be liars and the advice here is refreshing.

Hi there,

If no one answers your questions specifically, you can find a lot of information about aftercare, scabbing, and regrowth by using the search feature. (Scabs are common and can be a sign of appropriately assertive treatment.) James Walker has explained hair growth cycles using a nifty ‘grid’ analogy that you can also find using the search feature. When you search, be sure to search as far back as the engine will allow (4 years).

Happy hunting!