Introducing myself and my PCOS

Hello everybody,

Congratulations on creating such an interesting site. That’s one of the reasons I love Internet: it has made our lives much easier in many ways since we can talk and share our problems.

My mother had a hair growth issue. She never knew if she had PCOS. She just had a lot of hair: mainly facial. This was an issue that really affected her life, her mind and everybody around her.
When I was little I remember how she would shave. Every day. At that time I thought it was something normal. When I grew up I realized, it wasn’t. And I also realized, how devastating was living with such condition.

I started to have hair slowly slowly in my teenage years. I used to have fair hair on my legs and feet, then my face. At 13, somebody made a remark about the hairs on my feet. I didn’t really know what was the point of that (he was roughly my same age)but I started to be conscious about my hair and I started to think I would have to take care of it or I would end up shaving… and I didn’t want that. So, I did some waxing and the hairs started to come darker and thicker (Why do we have to touch the hairs in the first place?)I even waxed my arms - it was the first and the last time I did it - I was starting to get hairier.

Luckily, my boyfriend didn’t mind I was hairy. It was only the other people, the ones who would stare at my chin or my upper lip, the ones who would make me feel uncomfortable. At 19 I started to have electrolysis. It was so painful!! The endocrinologist said I had hormonal unbalance, my DHEA was very high and they prescribed me the pill and another medicine. I was starting to get fatter. And the fatter I was getting, the hairier I was becoming.

This wouldn’t stop. I would have to do painful electrolysis sessions for a very long time: 15 years until now. It solves the problem for a while… but my hair keeps on coming back. And now, I have the scars of all these years under the needle. For a moment, I thought of the idea of laser. But I don’t want to have anything shaved. And they don’t guarantee anything, apart from having to spend more money.

In the recent years, they finally found out I was suffering from PCOS.

My symptoms are:
Fast growth of hair.
Facial hair.
Irregular or inexistent menstruations.
Mood swings (very bad PMS. Problem is I don’t know when I have the period, so I don’t know the mood swing is hormonal-related)
Head thinning hair.
Tendency to get fat even if I was eating quite healthily.

I found out the links with diabetes and tried to eat even healthier and I lost almost 20 pounds, my mood improved, and also my self esteem.

I know this is forever. I haven’t had any kids, yet and I’m scared of passing all this onto them. I realized I have more and more scars and this is not improving. After some time, the hair goes back again. I have never shaved my face and I hope I won’t have to do it. I live with some facial hair. And hair in my arms. People don’t make comments about neither of them. I try to keep my face under control but I know my “moustache” is visible if people come very near. I don’t really mind much. I don’t work in a facing public environment, so I can get away with it.

I consider myself as lucky because I know it could have been much worse. I consider myself as lucky because I have the chance to fight the hair, even if it’s painful and scarry and it comes back over and over, and it’s expensive. I consider myself as lucky because I don’t feel the pressure of the people on me.

I have been feeling bad because I don’t think doctors have completely understood what means being hairy. Nevertheless, I feel lucky because this hasn’t been a big issue in my life and I have been able to live with it.

Thanks for sharing your story. There are many websites that offer support. www.soulcysters.com is one of many that you should check out if you have not already. Here are some links to some other personal PCOS’ers stories about this disease. I don’t know where you live in Europe, but I included a discussion forum from the United Kingdom as well. Get involved.

P.S. I don’t agree with your summation of electrolysis. I think your practitioner lacked good skill and equipment, which is unfortunate for you. A modern electrologist who does this technically difficult proceedure with professional skill and equipment will bring you a miracle. You can get the relief you desire from embarrassing hair if everything is clicking correctly.

Good luck to you and again,thanks for sharing your story.

Dee

http://www.projectpcos.org/press_events/viewStory.php?sid=14

http://www.projectpcos.org/press_events/viewStory.php?sid=12

http://www.projectpcos.org/press_events/viewStory.php?sid=7

http://www.projectpcos.org/press_events/viewStory.php?sid=6

http://www.projectpcos.org/press_events/viewStory.php?sid=8

PCOS Discussion board in the United Kingdom:

http://verity-pcos.org.uk/board/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=ec659b63fc50bebca43b8de4aad33445

Well said Dee, and good luck Donnatella! It is great to see someone looking on the bright side!

Thank you so much for your welcome!
This has been the first time I have written on a forum about my PCOS and side effects and I’m very glad I’ve done it.

Dee, I’m going to check the websites you propose. I may have been unlucky with the practitioner. I don’t know. I just know when I have been looking around for another ones, they change their faces when I say I suffer from PCOS and they say it will never go away. I will, certainly, look at another sites and look for professionals.
I live in the UK, so I’ll give a close look to the verity-pcos site.
Thank you for your words, I really appreciate it!

Jes, I look on the bright site, even if I haven’t always done it.
I used to be on medication to control my mood swings. I was just able to get over it when I realized it was caused by my hormones and I didn’t have any reason to feel like that. I just need to look on the bright site to keep on going!
Thank you for your good wishes!

Donnatella, thanks for sharing your story and you have been offered very good info already. definitely check the forum that Dee posted a link to for PCOS sufferers. It should be very comforting and helpful.

I would also suggest finding a good endocrinologist in your area. There are medications such as spiro and certain birth control pills like Yasmine that actually do help prevent more hair growth. You just have to find one that works for you without side effects.

Also, I agree with Dee. It sounds like you didn’t have access to a good electrologist. As you will find on this forum, there are many women with PCOS who have had electrolysis successfully. There are several posters from the UK as well, so you can get some recommendations. A good electrologist would never scar you. And as long as your hormones are under control, it would be permanent.

For temporary methods, you can consider bleaching. However, please do realize that shaving actually doesn’t do anything to the structure of the hair. Your hair won’t chance in any way if you start shaving. It’s an old-wives tale that’s been proven many times. The only reason people associate shaving with hair getting more coarse etc is because they start shaving when they are still in the process of just developing new hair during puberty.

In terms of laser, there is plenty of good information on this forum about both electrolysis and laser. Please do read both of those sections of the forum. Both are good in good hands depending on what you are treating. For the face, electrolysis is the best recommended method. Laser is only recommended for areas other than the face AND when the hair is dark, dense and coarse and the skin is light. You can read the FAQs below to learn more. And there are people here from the UK with clinic recommendations for laser as well if this is something that can fit your needs.

Good luck!

Hi Lagirl,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will certainly look for an endocrinologist. I haven’t been very lucky in finding a good one. As I haven’t found the right electrologist, neither. However, now I now it’s just a matter of finding out a good one!

It’s true, shaving scares the hell out of me. I just remember my mom doing it … and I think that’s a sensation I won’t be able to forget.

Thank you again for your welcome and your suggestions. I really appreciate them!

Society for Endocrinology
22 Apex Court,
Woodlands,
Bradley Stoke,
Bristol BS32 4JT,
UK
Tel: +44 (0)1454 642200
Fax: +44 (0)1454 642222

www.endocrinology.org