Interesting Link

Check this out! It’s in Japanese but the animation is good enough that you get a good idea of how the technical innovations of this electric shaver work.

http://www.lamdash.com/lamdash2004.html

They sell this at Sharper Image for $299. The cheaper versions they sell at Target are NOT the same!

I am a long time Braun user and currently use the Activator. But I may have to rethink that. I do have a $100 gift certificate for Sharper Image.

But most of my beard should be gone in about a week or so as I just had my fourth laser treatment about a week ago. So it may not be cost effective for me.

RJC2001

Tell us what treatment u have for the face. Laser, skin type, power, spot size, period? I am starting same (first tx) and am curious if you feel success. Thx.

[quote]Check this out! It’s in Japanese but the animation is good enough that you get a good idea of how the technical innovations of this electric shaver work.

http://www.lamdash.com/lamdash2004.html

They sell this at Sharper Image for $299. The cheaper versions they sell at Target are NOT the same!

You need to go to the site wit just the first part of the URL:

www.lamdash.com

That is one hell of an expensive razor. I can’t read Japanese , is this thing waterproof.

Yes, it is waterproof. I have not tried one yet and don’t know if I will. IMHO, if somebody is going to shave wet, they might as well use a Venus or M3 Power. It is doubtful that the Panasonic can shave as close. They make very good electrics though. I tried an earlier version Panasonic from Sharper Image on my chest and beard and my coarse hair just tore up the foil in a few weeks. That was pre-laser. And a Panasonic foil costs about $40! Braun foils are a lot tougher. They last me for at least a year and are only $24-28.

RJC2001

Tell us what treatment u have for the face. Laser, skin type, power, spot size, period? I am starting same (first tx) and am curious if you feel success. Thx.

Yes, I definitely have had success with laser on the beard! I have been treated with two lasers, both of them Nd:YAG (1064nm) lasers, Sciton and the Lyra-i. The
Sciton uses a scanner which does larger areas without having to reposition the handpiece. It is quick and left no patchiness at all. I don’t remember the spot size, but you can see the details at www.sciton.com. Click on the link to the Clear Scan handpiece. My practitioner switched doctors and I had to switch over to the Lyra-i. The Lyra-i is just as effective, but a 10mm spot was used so it is not as fast as the Sciton. I did have patchiness after some of the Lyra treatments but it was not a major problem. The patchiness is gone now, as is 80% of my beard. I have had 6 treatments and am very happy with the results. Before laser it took 25 minutes to shave my beard, now it only takes about 5 minutes. I am still shedding hair from my beard which was treated two weeks ago.

Having laser beard removal hurts like hell BTW. But it is well worth it.

I am a type 4 so I went with the Nd:YAG laser. If you have lighter skin, an alex or diode could work well for you. I have had no post treatment redness with the Nd:YAGs. I would have had major redness on the beard with the Lightsheer, although the test spot did remove the beard hair very well.

I started out with 28 Joules and after my 6th treatment was up to 45 Joules. Fluence levels cannot be compared between a Nd:YAG and alex laser though. You would probably start at a lower fluence level on the alex. Hair will shed more quickly with an alex laser. Some hairs will explode right out of the follicle during treatment, which I think is cool! Nothing like instant feedback. My first back and chest treatments were with the Apogee (alex) and were very effective. Hairs were flying out of the follicles left and right! I had that done during winter when my skin was at its lightest. The hairs that remained were finer and the alex didn’t work so well then. Enter the Lightsheer, which is an ass-kicking laser! I was treated at 50J with it and got rid of a lot of the remaining chest hair. What it didn’t eliminate it made finer and lighter, so I am finishing the chest with electrolysis. My beard could not handle the Lightsheer, it was extremely painful and caused a lot of redness.

My favorite lasers are the Lightsheer and the Sciton, with the Lyra-i close behind. The Apogee broke down a lot but it did a good job to start with. The Lightsheer is bulletproof and rarely breaks down.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

RJC2001

Well my first face tx did cause redness and swelling, especially along the jaw line (skipped upper lip to keep moustache). It only lasted the first night and was completely normal within 2 days. I will continue with the alexandrite and see if I get good progress and no additional complications. Thanks for the feedback.

If you have light skin and dark hair, the alexandrites can work very well. The first laser treatment on my chest was with the Apogee alexandrite and the hairs just popped out of the follicles during treatment. Other hairs fell out shortly thereafter. For some reason, the hairs shed more quickly with the alexandrite. Beard hair is very coarse, and lasers love coarse hairs and the follicles they lead to!

Be sure and report back on your progress. They may be able to use a higher fluence next time.

RJC2001

I am tempted to increase the power for the face so I can remove more hair. The first tx (14J, 15mm, 20ms) removed some, but not much. It DID hurt though and left me swollen and red for 1.5 days, so I am reluctant to make a change on the second treatment. The underarm is sooo much easier (at even higher power). It is irony that the face which is so sensitive and easy to hurt is the most visible to the world and difficult to treat. Oh well…

I am tempted to increase the power for the face so I can remove more hair. The first tx (14J, 15mm, 20ms) removed some, but not much. It DID hurt though and left me swollen and red for 1.5 days, so I am reluctant to make a change on the second treatment. The underarm is sooo much easier (at even higher power). It is irony that the face which is so sensitive and easy to hurt is the most visible to the world and difficult to treat. Oh well…

That’s a cruel trick mother nature pulled on us. The most coarse hair on the most sensitive skin. On my last treatment my practitioner turned up the fluence a bit and oh my God did it hurt! She said she would turn it down if I wanted, but no way was I going to do that. As long as the skin looks OK keep going. My face was a little bit sore that day, but no redness or swelling. My beard is still shedding too! I thought maybe I had 80 or 85 percent gone, but I’m working my way up to 90! It’s so cool to see the M3 Power getting clogged with all the shedding hairs. I actually had trouble cleaning it and the M3 is usually very easy to clean.

RJC2001