Insulated Ballet Needles

i notice that when I bend the insulated ballet needle, the insulation breaks and separates from the needle.This can be observe only under microscope with high magnification because the insulation is very thin and transparent. It is possible that I have bad lot but it is possible to be common problem.I think most of the electrologist here in Hairtell use Ballet insulated probes and maybe it is good idea to investigate that problem. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Dimi

Whoa! I have no idea what type of needles have been used on me, but I’m getting the blend, and I’ve heard that insulated needles shouldn’t be used in the blend. Thank you for posting this; this is good info to know.

insulated needles are perfect for doing blend. There is no problem with using them

Page 232, in Chapter 16 “The Blend Method” in the book “Milady’s Hair Removal Techniques”, it says in the “DO’s & DON’TS” box,

“Do not use noninsulated tapered needles.”

I guess I was thinking of galvanic electrolysis, and how the blend uses some galvanic current:

On page 224 of the same book, in the same type of text box, it says “Don’ts of Galvanic Electrolysis” “Do not use tapered or insulated needles.”

It also says on page 164, “For this reason, insulated probes are not preferred for the galvanic modality or the blend method.” This has to do with making sure the sebaceous gland is also killed (I think they may be referring to the bulge, although I’ve also heard that it is thought that stem cells are distributed throughout the entire follicle, not just in the bulge), because “the lye pattern differs with insulated probes”.

It also says, “There may also be some question as to the durability of the insulation on the probe and whether the lye produced by the galvanic current would break it down.”

I know you recommended this book in a previous post on Hairtell. I myself am not sure what to think about insulated probes being used in blend. I’m not an electrologist.

Ton,

I confirm what Seana wrote:
“insulated needles are perfect for doing blend. There is no problem with using them”.

In fact I use Ballet insulated needles and Dectro insulated needles which are specifically designed for blend and galvanic modality.Electrologists must know how to use them.

Anyway this topic was not for modality but for the problem with the insulation when bending the insulated Ballet probes.I need confirmation from other electrologists - did somebody noticed that the insulation breaks when bending the needle?

Dimi

There are a ton of variations in techniques and knowledge amount the various electrolysis texts. Milady’s actually takes a lot of it’s blend techniques from Michael Bono’s work. And I know darn well you wouldnt find him advocating against the use of insulated for blend. It works just fine, as Dimi mentioned.I use the same probes Dimi does, that is mostly isoblend probes specifically designed for doing…drumroll…blend!

To all electrologists using Ballet insulated probes.

As I mentioned in my post the insulation of the Ballet probes breaks and fall off.
I did not received any feedback from you to confirm that, so I am warning you, if you think that you are using Ballet insulated probe think again. This will change your machine set up and skin reaction.

Dimi

I can confirm that a plastic, cone-like, transparent piece of insulation comes lose during treatment. This has happened to me many times. I have magnified pictures of this. There have a couple of discussions about the coating coming off the probe in the past. I need to go through my library of pictures to find the picture. Posting it here has become difficult for me, but I will try. In the future, with the new mobile upgrade Andrea Is beta testing now, it will be so much easier.

So, I confirm what you are saying. That doesn’t happen with Laurier insulated probes ( IBP’s). Yes, Laurier IBP’s are more expendive, but you get what you pay for!

Interesting.I only ever used ballet insulated for a brief time so maybe I didnt notice this. I did find that too much of the tip of ballet were covered in my opinion making for too narrow an energy dispersal area for my liking. The Isoblend are a good alternative in my opinion but I welcome differing opinions. Sometimes it’s a matter of taste.

What isnt a matter of taste however , is the issue of metalurgical sensitivities. My family doctor is the one responsible for giving me the ins and outs on this one. He was diagnosing a infected piercing on myself some years ago. He alluded to the possibility I might be sensitive to nickel, a common element in most cheap jewelry, and modern stainless steel ( which piercing jewelry, and electrolysis probes are made of). He turned out to be correct , and I’ve never been ale to wear non-gold jewelry for extended periods throughout my years. I don’t react to stainless electrolysis probes however, some people do, and I have had several clients for whom a ballet Gold needle is the only choice because of this issue.

In looking at gold probes, ballet becomes the only really good quality choice. Sterex seem to have a reputation of the gold coating wearing off after a few insertions. I’ve never heard of any other manufacturer producing a gold probe that can stand up to Ballet’s highly polished and durable coating of gold. Insertions are smooth and easy.However, if using a gold ballet you give up the use of insulation on the probe. There is no option for this.
If I had a wish-list for a probe that will do everything, it would be this: a Gold plated probe to ballet standards, coated with an isoblend length of exposed probe and good quality insulator. Alas, such a probe does not exist.

In thinking about this, I wonder if it would be possible to electroplate a gold coating onto some isoblend needles? It would be a hack at best, and finding a way to sterilize them after without destroying the insulation might not be easy.

Dimi, did you happen to notice when doing a recent probe order that the writing on the probe packaging has changed from blue to red? This totally threw me for a loup this week.

Seana

Thank you Dee for the confirmation.
I have insulated and non-insulated Ballet probes and I use the insulated as non-insulated by removing the insulation in the beginning of the treatment.This I will make while all insulated probes last and I will not buy more of them.
I almost stop using also Pro-Tec probes because they are 2 pieces probes and are very flexible.Sometime I have hard time to insert the probe because the probe vibration, especially smaller sizes.
I use primarily Laurier probes for Thermolysis and also Ballet non-insulated stainless steel and gold probes.The Laurier probes are the best for Thermo.
However the most versatile pobe which I use is the Ballet tapered probes.They require tini “T” shank probe-holder, which I could not find but I modified the Dectro “K” shank probe holder.The good thing about them is that I can use them for all modality and not to think for the insulation(is it still there, how long is the bare part and what is the follicle coverage etc.) What I have to do is to choose the right size probe and to be sure to insert the tapered portion into the top layer of the skin.I can switch the modality without changing the probe.
I think you all know that.

Seana, I did not purchase Pro-Tec probes recently.My probes have blue and black writhings on the box. I can go to Dectro and check for you.Also when you buy probes from Dectro it is good idea to verify the expiration date because some time they sell expired probes.

Dimi

When I was working from home , and doing blend, I took a real liking to the Sterex one piece stainless. Every bit as good as a ballet product in my opinion, and half the price.

Working with Synchro and an Isoblend probe, I can lay a wide area of destruction that can dislodge the largest of roots . I’m with you on the smaller sized probes, they are difficult to use, and a little bit floppy. I dont tend to use such small sizes very often though and rarely if ever use anything less than an F3. The f1 are mostly unuseable for me, and I dont even try, though I still have some in my clinic ( probably expire soon I should check) . There really very few reasons for using a probe so small.

I wont use Laurier. I’ll have to try and lay my hands on some Ballet tapered probes as I dont think I’ve ever tried them.

(If I had a wish-list for a probe that will do everything, it would be this: a Gold plated probe to ballet standards, coated with an isoblend length of exposed probe and good quality insulator. Alas, such a probe does not exist.)

I think that the Ballet gold tapered probes will be the probes for your wish-list.I do not know in Ottawa but in Montreal no distributor sells Ballet tapered probes. I have to make special orders. If you want to try them you have to find the right probe holder. By the way, F1 and F2 IBL were the most used probes in Dectro school when I had my practice,very strange.

I got around the insulation breaking issue by bending the probe at the thick shank portion. You will need two small jewellery pliers to do this, but it’s not any more time consuming if you have them handy. You need to be sure to bend the shank quite close to the needle, otherwise it will not fit into the probe holder due to the bend in the shank (clamp). Alternatively you can grind down the nylon tip of the probe holder in which case you don’t need to worry about that aspect.