Incredibly painful electrolysis, concerns post first round of treatments

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster, this forum is what educated entirely, so thank you for that.

First up I have PCOS and pretty severe hirsutism and decided enough was enough and about 2 months ago I started Electrolysis at a local centre and my electrologist is lovely- while she didn’t explain anything to me I had researched well enough to feel comfortable and confident in the process, what to expect, etc. and she stated she had 20 years experience which also eased my mind.

However, my first two sessions were the most painful things I had experienced- I have a tattoo on my back and if I were to compare I’d say the tattoo was a 2/10 and the electrolysis is a 11/10 for pain. My third treatment onwards I started using 5% numbing cream and it maybe dulled the pain to a 7/10- I’m still having to mentally talk myself through each insertion and removal in a mantra that ‘pain is temporary’ haha.

My electrologyst checks in on me throughout the sessions, I don’t know quite how to explain it, I say it’s painful, she has adjusted settings nothing seems to really dull the pain. I like the way she treats- she will do roughly 10~ insertions at a time and then pull all 10 hairs with tweezers, and repeat, though I do know she is pulling hairs that haven’t been zapped. I can feel the insertion of the probe and the removal is just if not more painful at times.

Each session is 45mins and I just finished up my 14th session which was my last for treating the whole area of the face, jaw to jaw, down the neck, and today was the upper lip and oh god the pain was searing - 20/10 I almost had to tap out but managed to stay still because I am suborn as all hell.

I know redness, swelling, etc. is to be expected. Swelling for me will be immediate and intense and VERY red, and reduce over a week, it lingers on my skin and persists which is annoying but that just seems to be my skin type. However my last treatment my upper lip has had such a violent reaction, I’ll post some pictures of before and after this treatment today.

I hadn’t touched my face at all, I came home and laid down to try nap some of the pain away, when I woke up I gently used some chilled witch hazel to gently soften and remove the hardened blood serum (I’m pretty sure that’s what the yellow crystal like stuff is) its been about 5 hours since treatment and after that gentle clean and nothing else only one little area has had more serum return which I’m leaving until just before bed and will clean again.

Little more info prior to electrolysis

• had been shaving from age 12, daily as of 2020
  • I had been waxing at home 5-6 times a year from 2018-2021 but it became so so so sore to do over time I stopped and just shaved only.
  • the past year I had been shaving and using a handheld IPL at home, it worked a little on my face, but mostly on my body hair.

Overall just sort of looking for advice… Is my skin just SUPER sensitive with the pain? That’s kind of where my thought process is because my skin has been so angry the whole process but today certainly is the worst.

that looks over treated to me
Change your therapist

More info for references:

1 Like

Overtreatment (too much energy). My advice: find another electrologist

1 Like

It looks overtreated to me too. Yellowish pusstured from plasma discharge is no bueno!

1 Like

You were over treated. It will heal. Baby it along until it is totally healed. Don’t pick off ANYTHING. Please show her the pictures and give her feedback. For the size of hairs on your upper lip, too much energy was applied to disable the follicles.

1 Like

Please not resume any other treatments, including electrolysis, laser and etc. for at least 6 months to 2 yrs until u completely heal underneath

1 Like

Hi there, first off your upper lip has definitely been over treated. Being that the lip is such a small area to treat, your electrologist in my professional opinion should be only working a maximum 10-15 minutes per side. If you are in this much excruciating pain during treatment, your entire body is resisting the electrolysis and this isn’t going help you to heal properly. I’m curious do you feel the filament being inserted into the hair follicle? If there is pain prior to your electrologist applying the current then, that is a big NO!!NO!!! She is puncturing your dermis and then when applying the heat that is a double whammy, and then you mentioned you feel the hair being tweezed….you seriously need to find someone who is qualified. As nice as you think your electrologist is, you are not there to make friends you are there to see results. Please find someone who is accredited and will take the time to explain the proper way electrolysis should be done. Whether you have done your research or not. Please take the time and be kind to yourself. Good luck.

1 Like

The yellow fluid is blood serum and plasma leaking which play an important role in the wound healing on your over-treated lip. This fluid will turn into brownish crusts. Do not pick on them and let them fall off on their own. Crust formation plays a role in healing. Once you do heal and decide to continue electrolysis, don’t let anyone treat your lip for hours at a time. The lip and chin area is very prone to over-treatment.

2 Likes

I would ask myself the following:
Am I feeling the needle, there’s a hole the hair is growing out of. The needle is inserted into the hole and should not be breaking the skin.
Am I feel the hair being pulled out. If it is treated correctly there should be no sensation.
Your hair doesn’t seem very big so I think the reaction is pretty strong under the circumstances but I don’t have the benefit of actually doing a sample. There are some after care products I have found work really well. Rodan and Fields have a product called soothe cream and amazon sells a product called e11ement - Hypochlorous Acid All Natural Face and Skin Spray