I know how tough it is!

When I first started getting hair removal, I was very confused by all the conflicting information out there. I decided on electrolysis at a large chain with someone who was very nice, but in retrospect, was probably not the most qualified person out there. That meant I spent more money and time getting it done, and I got some skin damage around my mouth from overtreatment, some of it pretty noticeable. Because of all the problems I had, I thought I’d help others avoid some of my mistakes, as well as all the scams out there (and there are tons of them).

I know how difficult it is to deal with unwanted hair, and I’m here to tell you there are options. Don’t let unwanted hair ruin your self-esteem! There’s help and hope out there-- you just have to do a little homework to find out what’s best for you.

Knowledge is power, so let’s help each other out. Together, we can all make a difference!

Do those transdermal/transcutaneus patches remove hair, without all the irrtation of shaving, or waxing? I don’t realy care if it is permanant, just that it doesn’t give me razor burn, or leave my kitchen coated with wax. :confused:

The devices that use an electrified Q-Tip can only treat a dime-sized area every minute or two. The hand-held devices like ePen use less energy, so they make take longer.
The devices that use patches take about the same amount of time, but they can treat an area the size of the patch.
Do they remove hair? This is a tough question, since they haven’t been tested under controlled clinical conditions with peer-reviewed published medical data.
Some users find that hairs may fall out a few days or weeks later. Others have to tweeze all the hairs out after using the device. In that case, has the device actually removed hair? More importantly, is the energy enough to cause permanent hair removal as they claim, or is it just a weak effect that’s enough to temporarily disable hairs?
Because there has been no medcial data published, and because they have not submitted data to FDA for evaluation, there is no acceptable evidence that these devices can achieve permanent hair removal. As far as temporary removal, it’s hard to say if they are causing anything more than the kind of mild disruption of hair growth that can come from chemical or energy sources. For instance, some lasers have been shown to be temporary under controlled clinical conditions, even though the energy level is enough to cause some hairs to fall out.
As far as irritation, you may have redness that lasts from an hour or so to a few days. Most heavier irritation occurs when people try to achieve permanent results by treating an area for a long time. It appears this causes redness for some, but there’s no definitive answer on whether this causes more effective treatment.
Some consumers have been pleased with these at the onset, but I’m not aware of anyone who has been pleased in the long term with their results. I like to discourage people from supporting companies that make unsubstantiated and misleading claims about permanent hair removal. It only encourages them to do more of it.
So to sum up: it may remove some hair, but you may have to supplement treatment with plucking. Some believe it makes plucking easier after you treat an area for a minute or so. Others find it slow and tedious.
You will definitely not have wax all over your kitchen, but you will have a lot of gel, used Q-Tips or patches, and paper towels in your kitchen after.

Andrea, thank you for having this site. I’m a woman who’s had facial hair since puberty (Well, let me rephrase that. I’ve NOT had it - because I’m so hysterical about removing it by any means necessary, even if I have to get out the dreaded razor or tweezers that I keep it a total secret from the world). But nonetheless, it keeps growing back, stubbly, annoying - it’s a constant source of frustration.

Why do some women have facial hair? I don’t think it’s hormonal because believe it or not, without the facial hair, I’m very pretty! :smile: I don’t have any signs of a hormonal problem. My mother struggled with facial hair, and so did her mother, and her mother too. All of us are large-breasted, child-bearing women. So why do we have this problem? Any idea?

There are many reasons for hair growth in women. Hormonal imbalance is the big one. Drug interaction is the second biggest. Both excessive weight gain, or excessive weight loss can trigger hair growth as well.

When a girl becomes a woman, that is a change in hormones. This can cause new hair growth in places she doesn’t like it. Some women experience new hair growth every month because of this cyclic hormonal imbalance. High stress can lead to hair growth in some women, (because of prolonged exposure to adrinalin) and many women react to birth control pills the same way.

So the question is, what woman do you know who has made it to the age of 25 without every having gone through puberty, taken birth control pills, experienced a week of unmitigated stress, spent time at either -17% body fat or +35% body fat or experienced exposure to either a medical condition that causes hair growth, and or taken a drug that causes hair growth.

It is true that 10 out of 10 women will want to have some hair removed from some place on their body before they reach the age of 65.

[ February 16, 2003, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: James W. Walker VII, CPE ]

I just turned 30 and all of a sudden I am growing more facial hair. I am very self consious about it and it really upsets me. I have been to see the doctor and had tests but aparently it is not hormomal. I have always been dark but it really bothers me to have more. I am quite vain about my appearence although I’m not very confident and this is making my life hell. I am checking all the time to see if there is more growth and trying to decide what to do. The doctor is supose to prescribe me something but I’m worried that it won’t work. I have been plucking and have done some home electrolisis. Will the plucking cause the hair to come in thicker? man I just hate this…

Hi shy mouse-- many of us have hereditary hair that is more than we want. Your doctor was probably prescribing Vaniqa, which works for about 60% of women in reducing facial hair growth. It does not remove hair.

Since it’s causing you distress, I suggest you stop plucking and look into an option that can get rid of it for good. If you have light skin and dark hair, you might do a test somewhere other than your face to see how you respond. Otherwise, I’d find a good electroloogist. Whichever of these methods you use, it’s essential to find someone with a LOT of experience, preferably recommended by someone who is done and happy.

You’ll find that getting it under control will do wonders for your self-esteem!

[ March 11, 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

I think that maybe hair growth on women is genetic. Now I don’t know for sure, but usually if your mother has facial hair, then chances are you will too. Take me for instince. My mother’s family is kind of hairy, but they are lighter haired people, so you can’t see that much. My father’s family is very dark haired. Both people have a child(me) :smile:

Hi, Shy Mouse. With some woman more hair comes as you get older. A lot of woman get a few chin hairs or light mustache when they reach age thirty. That’s about the time my mom got chin hairs. Sigh. I suppose I’ll be getting them too at that age :frowning: