I just REALLY need to vent...

NOTE: It’s a long one…

Hello all, sorry to be ranty in my very first post here but I’ve pretty much “had it”.

Hair has ALWAYS been an issue for me and at 31 years old I feel like I’m at the end of my rope. It literally grows EVERYWHERE except the palms of my hands and the the soles of my feet and it’s black and very noticeable.

One of the most vexing things about this for me is my mother is Asian and she and ALL family on her side literally have NO effing body hair, barely even eyebrows. They all have perfect, smooth, hairless skin (grrrr). My sister is totally normal as well so as you can surmise, I spend A LOT of time wondering WHY ME???

I have tried numerous methods at home from shaving, waxing, buffing, depilatories etc. etc. and have had several very frustrating appointments with my doc who has taken so many labs on me I should be anemic. Every time they run my labs the results come back “normal”.

To top it all off I developed cystic acne in my mid-twenties and probably have maybe a week out of every month with “kinda” clear skin. At this point, everything I’ve tried for the acne is beginning to take a toll on my skin not to mention I’ve tried at least a dozen different types of BC hoping they might curb the issue but nothing has worked with the exception of Nuva ring.

Unfortunately, being the “lucky” gal I am, I cannot use Nuva ring because I was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, which makes keeping the Nuva ring in difficult at best and in any event, the Nuva ring seemed to provide only a bare fraction of noticeable difference in my hair growth. Basically, when I shave I HAVE TO shave every day because it’s growing back within 24 hours, with the Nuva ring I seemed to have been able to get away with not having to shave every 48 hours.

I have also tried seeing a couple dermatologists over the years but they were both incredibly dismissive of my feelings and seemed to be thinking “you don’t have it that bad” and the combined experiences turned me off from trying to seek any more medical help with this awful problem.

At this point I’m at a loss and have not been able to find any solution other than shaving which is WAY TOO time consuming and ultimately a depressing “pastime”.

>breathe<

Anyway, I have been coming here for some time and always appreciated the information that everyone is kind enough to share. My insurance recently changed so I need to find new docs so I’m thinking I may try once more to find a physician who gives a chit and may possibly help.

Thanks for listening!

Poor thing. I know your pain, I reeeeeally do. Doctors rarely seem to appreciate what a big deal it can be.

I would pick an area or two that bothers you most or is hardest to shave or the most “public”. Then focus on clearing those areas. You probably can’t afford to fix your whole body :frowning: But you can put a big dent in it.

If you’re a candidate, perhaps laser for your lower legs (thighs may not be coarse enough) for a few sessions, and once it thins out, finish up with student electrolysis (cheap, and pretty hard for even a student to mess up that area). That’s what I’m doing. You could also focus on your face if you need it (don’t do laser there, though). Or your arms or tummy.

Also, ask your doctor about spironolactone, just to get some info on it. It’s a medication that may reduce hair all over a bit, but it will also impede your ability to get electrolysis or laser in a timely manner, so it’s kind of a last-ditch effort (as many meds are). There are people on this site who endorse it, and those who don’t, so make sure you research it if you consider it.

Are you aware that most birth control pills have unwanted hair growth as a possible side effect? Where are you located?

Thanks for your replies, it means a lot! I have gone and tried electrolysis in the past but the scope of my issues deterred me from continuing because the costs would be crazy - I also tried some laser “consults” on my tummy but again was deterred by cost and, at the time, the hope that medical treatment might be a better way to go but that obviously didn’t work out…

After much research and reading in these forums, I have become more educated about the perils of BC and other meds and it just totally brings me down - makes me wish I’d never gone on BC to begin with but alas, can’t turn back the clock right?

James, I am in MA and have been considering looking into new dermatologists here or finding an endocrinologist although it seems my best bet would be to plan a longterm electro/laser treatment plan… but basically I am just at a loss and feeling very hopeless :frowning:

A lot of people with massive hair problems decide to learn electrolysis themselves, and just buy a machine (there’s a good one for sale on the forums at the moment for about 1500 I believe). Teach yourself, start somewhere easy. Maybe you can bring in a willing friend to do your hard to reach areas. That way you can spend less over all, and do more areas without worrying as much about priorities…