I just need clarification and answers

I know, I just don’t want to sound like a pest or make her think I don’t trust her.

I just wanted to hear what others thought on here. I know there is a debate on whether it’s ok to feel some resistance when hair is being treated.

There is no debate about feeling resistance when a hair is being treated. THE HAIR SHOULD SLIDE OUT WITH NO TRACTION or you are being tweezed.

I give up on trying to to explain the difference between a pop and a pull, so let’s not add that to the conversation. Due to the nature of some challenging first clearance areas, it only creates miscommunication and confusion to try and explain sensation factors . Just get it planted deep within your mind that you should feel no resistance when the hair comes out.

I do wish people could go and obtain clearances on an area every time. Electrolysis does not have to be a slow process.

I understand, but I just thought first time treated hairs may have deep roots or are just very course.

Most the time the hair slides out. I never worry about every hair, she’s the only electrolosist I really have to go to.

She is pretty much reaching clearances on the sides of my chin, but not quite. It has taken since November to do this. I do have alot of course hair.

So maybe I should speak up and say I feel I am being tweezed after every hair I feel resistance?

Try not to talk when she is working on your chin most, including myself , well feel no remorse about telling you to not move. If we happen to have a needle in the skin at the time, it can damage the follicle… You can still communicate if you work out a signal with your electrologist. I use MMM MMM like UH UH without the mouth movement) to communicate when someone is working on me if an insertion isnt going well.

Seana

So some resistance on course hairs is ok?

I can’t wait for her to move on to my trouble areas.
I will continue to tell her.

GIGGLES! wELL NOW YOU DID IT DEE! You went and told me not bring something up. You know that’s the surest way to open a discussion :slight_smile:

What Dee so eleoquently pointed out, some hairs will be destroyed, but not release cleanly. The probability that hair is destroyed, is best measured by the release of the hair. Translation: Dont worry about it!

Seriously it is not worth stressing over whether you felt this as a pop, a pluck or anything else. Relax, let her work. If you dont see a reduction in hair returning you would know it soon enough, in the meantime just relax and let her work.

Edit: this is also where I need to point out to you that increased anxiety decreases your pain threshold.

Thanks so much for your advice and help. I just get frustrated and nervous when I feel hairs are being pulled. I just want electrolysis to work for me so much. I hate my facial hair and I want it gone. Electrolysis is painful and expensive, so it just upsets me thinking it’s not working or won’t work.

I’ll try to just relax and not freak out over every hair. I do see a reduction in the spots she’s done, I just hope the hair doesn’t come back.
I know it’s a process and I have to be patient, I know I have a long road ahead, but I am proud of myself for taking action and doing electrolysis.

Thanks again for your help!!

What you feel when the hair is epilated should feel somewhere from nothing, to a slight popping out. If you have not experienced the “pop” it is hard to describe. You should never feel what you feel when you pull out an untreated hair. As long as you did not feel that kind of plucking, you are ok. Hair “roots” come in all shapes and sizes, especially at that first clearance. Some have round balls on the end. Some have long shafts and some look like grains of salt. Some are plump, and juicy and some of those plump, juicy hairs form letters of the alphabet, in the shape of “U’s”, “C’s”, “J’s” and “S’s”. These different sizes and shapes of hair roots are being pulled, after they have been treated, through a small tunnel above them and they pop out much like the hard core of a zit when it pops its way through the opening of a previously blocked pore. You can experience this feeling when doing any type of electrolysis, unless your electrologist blasts a hole in every follicle that makes every hair slide out no matter what. That would be over treating the follicle beyond necessity or shall we say OVERKILL?!

I did what I said I wasn’t going to do. Seana baited me! Thanks, girl! Controversy begins again?

This is the reason why the progressive technique is so damn good and has such good results. Hair only comes out when the follicle has been properly treated.

Also, if you leave the needle in the follicle … even if the hair came out improperly … with the needle still in place, you can give the poor follicle another big fat ZAP!

Then, Jossie … you kill the CRAP out of the follicles anyway … the poor “darlings.” You are the “Hair Assassin of Europe!”

Once you get a “feel” for this electrology … actually ALL the modalities and the techniques work. It’s all in your fingers and your instincts. You can’t learn this at school.

well surely you know Dee if anyone leaves a big steaming pile in the forums sooner or later I will be along with a stick to disturb it. Probably sooner than later.

Speaking of which, you forgot my absolute favorite hair shape…the corkscrew! I defy anyone to take one out without at LEAST a pop!

Seana

Actually, for the benefit of GH101 , I think I should be more specific about what I a talking about.

Dee described various hair shapes. Here is what happens. Hair retain the shape they had in the follicle, their growth pattern, when they are removed.It’s not unusual as an electrologist to see hairs of various shapes, as Dee points out the J shape or C-shape are common. Sometimes there is no obvious cause for this, other times it is because the client has previously ripped out he hairs out by the root. tweezing, waxing, using an epilator, heck even just catching some hairs in something and having them yank out accidentally.

As electrologists, we know , the chances of seeing such hairs on any given patient is good, more-so if they have been plucking. We will see at least a few from natural causes.

If electrologist is using thermolysis, there is as good a chance as any that when they insert they will not be able to find the hair root with the end of the probe. Some are better at it than others. But if the end of the follicle is ina J-shape there’s little hope of getting there with a strait probe. So these hairs will feel “Pluckier” because they are or are not treated with enough energy in the right place. This is not a fault of the electrologist in most cases.

So a client will feel a pluck. Or in the case of very mishapen hairs, a “pop” if indeed enough energy reaches the root. but the shape of the hair makes the root larger than the follicle shaft.

If it helps you to keep in mind the mechanics behind it, but the advice is the same: Relax and let her work and stop trying to analalyse whether she is being effective. If she isnt being effective you will know.

Seana

Thanks for the explanation Seana. Most of the hairs on my face have never been plucked by me. I always have just shaved, bleached or trimmed.
I had my treatment Thursday and it didn’t hurt too bad and the hairs felt like they were sliding out.

She has started branching out to other spots slowly. Today I noticed a few hairs that have regrown on the areas she has been doing. I just wish these areas would be done already. I do see a decrease in hair, but I go every week for 30 minutes and she does the same spots. If she left these spots alone for more than a week would the hair all return?

I appreciate all of your replies, it really helps me understand this process. Thanks

You are the boss of your own treatments. If you dont want her to work in that area to see what regrowth you have you can always direct her to work elsewhere for several weeks.

Seana

I just don’t want to micro manage my appointments. I am paying for her experience and expertise. However I can picture if she left spots alone for awhile the hair would regrow.

I have high testosterone and hiristium. Will electrolysis work as good for me?

I just want no more facial hair and hope this works.

I really like my electrolysist, she’s a good price, location, nice, flexible appointments. I just want to keep track of my progress and make sure im on track.

Thanks so much for your help!

Some weeks I see more regrowth than others. Electrolysis is such a slow process.

How do you know if it is regrowth or new growth?

Most people are done in 9-18 months. I don’t think that is slow when it is a process that produces permanent results. Losing fifty pounds is slow. Getting a college degree is slow and I could probably think of other examples of s-l-o-w.

It works to your advantage to push on and be patient. If you have a skilled electrologist, you will be victorious !

Do you have hair courser/thicker that those on this video ? Because all was removing without any resistance at all.
You should not feel any resistance, pluck or pop, anything, nada !
Even if it has been suggested in this thread making each hair slide out without any resistance can cause holes in your skin, I can guarantee that this is completely false

COARSE hairs (not COURSE hairs) should offer no resistance . They should slide out with no traction if the energy level and insertion is correct. Any hair structure should slide out in any stage of growth or non-growth.
ALAS, The concept of “pop” will never be clearly understood, even though I have tried to carefully explain that here many times (most recent explanation is from Feb. 2016:

"POP vs PLUCK

What you feel when the hair is epilated should feel somewhere from nothing, to a slight popping out. If you have not experienced the “pop” it is hard to describe. I can tell you however, you should never feel what you feel when you pull an untreated hair out. Now that is a feeling we all know, all too well. As long as you did not feel that kind of plucking, you are ok. Hairs in the shedding phases are dryer, and some have round balls on the end instead of long shafts. These are being pulled through the small tunnel above them and pop out much like the hard core of a zit when it pops its way through the opening of a previously blocked pore. You can experience this feeling in Blend, Galvanic and Thermolysis unless your practitioner simply blasts a hole in every follicle that makes every hair drop out with a good stiff breeze. (Yes, that would be overkill.)"

So, for the sake of simplicity, just think this: there should be no resistance. Too much detail sparks confusion and doubt.