I don’t know what to do re: dead hair my hair removal pre-bottom surgery

I don’t know what to do re: my hair removal pre-bottom surgery (penile inversion)

I am three weeks away from bottom surgery, and I still have hair on my private area. My electrolysis technicians refuse to remove the hair that is there, citing that it is dead hair that is shedding and just needs to fall or be plucked out and that they won’t do any further electrolysis on those hairs because they’d consider it malpractice.

So, my electrolysis technicians talked with my doctor, gave me the OK for bottom surgery, and it looks like I’ll finally be having the surgery on July 12. I know I should be so excited, but I’m very concerned about the potential of hair growing inside of my vaginal canal.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to help me put my mind at ease? I’m in constant contact with both my technicians and my doctor, and they seem to be totally OK with the hair removal that I have done. I’m just so confused.

When did you start electrolysis treatments, how often did you have a treatment, and how many hours of treatment have you had so far?

I’m not sure why the electrologist is refusing to treat the remaining hairs. They might mean that the hair is in its normal telogen or exogen phase, but I see two problems with this. Firstly, it’s still possible (and preferable) to treat follicles in these phases. Secondly, the hairs will not be permanently removed if they haven’t been treated by your electrologist. Their explanation doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

As for your treatment overall, and the fact that both your electrologist and doctor are happy to proceed, I can’t provide any professional help here. I would only advise that, as this is a life-changing procedure and you are paying these people a lot of money, their role is to address any of your concerns until you are satisfied or refer you to another practitioner who can.

It may be that both are correct in saying you are ready for the procedure, but I would always advise to seek a second opinion if you have any doubts.

I’m also confused by your electrologist’s claims. What malpractice can there be in removing visible hair? There is no such thing. If they’re plucking hair then that hair will certainly regrow. Hairs in any growth stage can be effectively treated by electrolysis. Laser requires anagen growth phase to absorb the energy, but in electrology energy is delivered to any point of the hair follicle regardless of growth stage by controlling the depth of the needle.

1 Like

May I ask where you are having your surgery? Some surgeons, and I’m thinking specifically here of the Gender Reassignment center in Montreal are very dismissive of hair removal prior to surgery. I’m not so sure, at all? But I can see they may intimidate your electrologist in the unlikely event they are in contact.