I am new to waxing

Hi,

I am new to the idea of using waxing cream for hair removal. Earlier I I had been using the easier way out, using the creams. But thats a lot of mess and re-growth is so instant.

I am not sure if waxing would suit me. Can someone please guide me with its pros and cons.

Thanks!

Regards,
Ayesha

Pro:
#1: Can be smooth for up to 8 weeks, much slower regrowth than depilatory creams and shaving
#2: After several sessions the hair appears to grows through sparser and finer (this is not permanent).
#3: It is said that pain reduces with the number of treatments as you skin gets used to the sensation and so on.
#4: If done professionally or at home with some skill, is a lot less messy than depilatory creams.

Con:
#1: Painful (may begin to diminish after some treatments)
#2: Cannot go on sun bed for 24-48 hours
#3: Removes small amounts of tan
#4: Hair can break off and not be completley removed (this does depend, however, on the thickness and number of hairs you are trying to remove in a given area, we are talking a LOT of thick, coarse hairs for this to happen though)
#5: If used on certain areas, such as the face, waxing can make the hair stronger, thicker and darker (run a search on the forum for more information on this)
#6: Can be expensive if done at salon (depends on the geographical area)
#7: Requires some skill when done at home and can result in the treatment being more painful and an increase in mess (although home treatments are a lot cheaper when you start to get the hang of it)
8#: Can cause ingrowns (this can be kept at bay with careful exfoliating with either lofahs, exfoliating gloves etc and/or chemical exfoliators such as TendSkin)
#9: Have to wait for the hairs to grow between 1/4 and 1/2 inch before can be waxed.

Waxing is probabaly my favourite temporairy method personally as it lasts the longest and is not as bad as using a rotary epilator.

Anyway that’s about all I can think of at the moment, but I’m sure the others will add anymore that I have missed. If you do decide to geo ahead with waxing make sure you do the proper preparation and aftercare (this has also be found on the forum if you run a search).

Regards,
Benji

Thanks a lot Benji, that was very informative and helpful.

Regards,
Ayesha

Benji pretty much nailed it on the head. But Ayesha waxing is a great alternative to shaving. especially for the bikini i’ve been getting my bikini waxed for about a year and a half now and i would never go back to shaving it.

If you want something even better, try laser. $100-150 per treatment and 6-8 treatments later, you will not need waxing again. I don’t.

Hi Ayesha,

I’ve been waxing myself for since about the age of 12! I’m 25 now and I would definitely recommend it for the legs, bikini, arms and underarms (if you cannot go for anything permanent). In all these areas my hair growth is much less dense than it was when I was a teenager. For example, my lower legs have been waxed the most over the last 13 years and the backs of them hardly have any hair growth left (2 or 3 per sq cm). And trust me, I’m a hairy gal.

I read in your other thread that you mentioned an epilator. Although I do occasionally epilate my arms and underarms (as these are the only places I do not get a reacion) I would stear clear of them. The results are very temporary - not much longer than shaving and the ill-effects are far more common and longer lasting.

If you are going to wax, I would recommend the following:
Start off with a view to purchasing a wax heater and salon waxes. I’m hairy all the way from my ankles to my bikini and it takes about 45mins to wax both my legs since I bought this stuff. Salon waxing has many advantages - it can remove hair that is comparatively short (3-4mm), it’s fast (you can apply the wax to an area much larger than the strip then use that 1 strip multiple times to get it all off), it will hardly leave any hairs behind if done correctly (except those that are too short). Salon waxes can also be heated up in the heater again and again without ruining the effectiveness.

But of course, no one would want to spend money on all the kit without knowing what to do with it. Therefore I would recommend going for a professional wax at least once. Doing this, you will get to see the correct way to wax different areas. It will also get you used to the pain (feeling!) of waxing, I don’t even flinch anymore.

After this I would suggest buying a tub of warm wax (that is water dispersible) from the drugstore/chemist and practicing. It won’t be perfect and your hair will need to be longer (closer to 1cm) but it will be good practice in how not to make a mess and how to wax various bits of your body.

I find wax strips are ok for smaller areas when you don’t have time to wax properly. The Veet bikini strips are great as even though small they can be used a few times - I use them for my bikini if I’m in a hurry but also my hands/fingers/toes as they get the hair out easily and gently. I didn’t have so much luck with the full sized ones doing large areas though.

Lastly, try to find out about any beauty colleges nearby. It’s a cheap way to get professionally waxed for a cheap price. My local college charges £8 for a full leg wax! If you are so lucky, you might find that you just prefer a trip to the salon every month!

I hope all this helps,

• Aysha :smiley: