Hypopigmentation scars

I’ve been doing electrolysis for 3 and a half years.
The first 2 years i did one session per week for 20 minutes and the third year i went every 3 weeks for 10 minutes. The third year is when i noticed many white spots/patches on my neck and upper lip. It’s not very visible on photo but is much more worse.
The reason i didn’t notice these before is because my skin was red all the time, when the redness started to fade a little it was time for the next session. So when the sessions became more rare and i could see when it healed back to normal i started to see what has happened to my skin. It’s been 6 months that i stopped electrolysis but i don’t see a minimal change

I’m very depressed and i regret doing electrolysis and why didn’t i notice this damage since the begining. The electrologyst told me it’s minor scars and no one will notice but i think my skin looks destroyed.

I don’t understand what caused all of this? I look like i have vitiligo and my skin looks like orange peel skin with scars and dents

I’m very sorry to have to agree with you on this dreadful outcome. Although your photo is not clear, I would say that you have actual scars from sub-standard electrolysis treatments. Your treatment intervals were actually not enough to cause severe over-treatment … very well spaced-out … so, no blame AT ALL on your part. I’m sure that my colleagues will be asking you more specific questions about your treatment.

You might want to consult with a dermatologist or plastic surgeon … and talk about derm-abrasion (not micro-dermabrasion). Problem is, such scars from electrolysis are “full depth” scars, in that they extend deep in the tissue (usually all the way into the sub-dermis). I don’t think any sort of “resurfacing” (or micro-needling) would work.

Now, if you have limited deep “pitted scars” I would suggest expert injection of those scars with Triamcinolone Acetonide (injectable) suspension (I have forgotten the trade name at the moment). These injections have to be “spot on” and at the correct intervals. The medication “breaks up” the dense scar tissue (collagen) and then the skin starts healing all over again with lighter collagen. I have seen “miracles” with this medication, for the last 35 years, (if done properly) with such conditions as deep “ice pick” acne scars and pitted electrolysis scars. Good luck my Dear! If you want to speak to me about this, you may give me a call at 1-(805) 962-5431

4 Likes

I’m so sorry this happened to you, this is NOT a normal outcome of proper electrolysis. I’m sure you have stopped all treatments and at this point, I would recommend seeking advice from a qualified dermatologist who can recommend a course of action to help repair the damage and rebuild collagen.

1 Like

I did constult a dermatologist who gave me a scar gel froica and vit c cream neither gave me any improvement. The white patches are the same. My skin is easily damaged from the sun, 2 minutes in the sun and i get multiple brown spots. I thought this was a concern for electrolysis, hyperpigmentation. It never crossed my mind that the ‘vitiligo skin’ could happen

I’m curious what causes loss of pigment from electrolysis. It looks like my melanin is destroyed. The electrologist told me it’s because the hair is too coarse and the follicle too big, but other girls with severe cases of hirsutism didn’t have this side effect. I wonder if the setting was too high but she claimed it was a standart average and other people were treated with a higher energy. Somehow she blamed this on my skin type that was too sensitive and prone to hyperpigmentation. Could it be anything that have to do with aftercare?

I really hate when I hear that “it may be the patient’s fault … or, your skin is too sensitive, etc.” It’s called “dancing around the issue.” In every case, if there is a problem, it is the fault of the electrologist ONLY. Stop blaming yourself and forget the “aftercare” nonsense. (Unless you rubbed dirt in the wound!) I have to say that, probably, the dermatologist was placating you; trying to give you a bit of “hope in a jar.” Here’s the deal.

If you create unnecessary damage (yes current too high), the electrologist creates a large scar under the skin. A scar (dense collagen) is devoid of the normal intricate and compact network of capillaries in the skin. Thus, the dense collagen, that has less blood, shows (white) through the thin epidermis. I would say, in your case this is not a “loss of pigment” but actual sub-dermal scar formation. Scar formation also pulls inward and creates the “dents” you are seeing. I might be wrong … and, I hope I am. I would say, be up-front with the dermatologist and ask him if this is scar formation … trust me, he already knows!

1 Like

Let me, for the sake of my colleagues, highlight your points.

“The electrologist told me it’s because the hair is too coarse and the follicle too big.” Well, if that’s the case, why did she work on you AT ALL?

“ … she claimed it was a ‘standard average’ and other people were treated with higher energy.” Again, nonsense, there is no “standard average” because people react differently; it’s up to the electrologist to find the proper settings!

“She blamed this on my skin type that was too sensitive and prone to hyperpigmentation.” Again, if she knew this, why did she risk working on you at all?

Sorry, but I have heard these wretched excuses for DECADES. Frankly, our electrology schools generally promote these sorts of “convenient excuses” and, yes, in my school as well.

Sadly, the majority of people, who have problems after having had medical procedures, tend to blame themselves. The “professionals” are only too happy to concur.

1 Like

I fiddled with your photo to bring out what you’re talking about. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your explanation! The reason why i was concerned with aftercare is the fact that i used foundation to cover the redness.
So scar formation is even worse than loss of pigment :frowning_face:
The dermatologist i consulted didn’t explain me what happened but i think she thought about that because she gave me a scar gel. But unfortunately the gel didn’t made any difference for me.

I had the same experience with laser hair removal. That’s why i trusted her when she said your skin is more vulnerable.than others. But again i could be treated the wrong way with laser hair removal too, so i don’t know.
The white spots from laser are spread in body parts but aren’t really visible. The worst outcome was the bikini area where the white patches are bigger and it looks like i have some kind of illness.
Since the hair in the bikini are coarse and considering what the electrologist told me i figured that the white spots have something to do with it.
I can’t find many people who have this kind of damage and i keep thinking why did it happen to me

Indeed, this might be a special case. Loss of pigment, again, is possible in rare cases. If the scars fade … with or without a special cream … it will take a very long time to see any change. I hate to say it … but, in most cases a whole year. Gosh, I have so much good news for you! I’m horrible … Still, I think knowing is better than wondering?

Actually, laser has the potential of causing pigment problems significantly more than electrolysis. Laser can effect the lower layer of the epidermis. Done properly, the electrolysis wound is completely below this important layer of melanin. Yes, I’m puzzled!

Oddly enough, you have exactly the type of skin that almost never develops visible scars or pigment problems. I am, however, interested in your case … so, please keep in touch. If you have better photos, I can have Dr. Chapple look at them (plastic surgeon). If you wish, my email is: mikebono@cox.net

I would be happy if the scars would fade for a year or two, but 'm scared it will stay like this forever

I have hyper pigmentation around a healed scar and within days after I started using Dermalmd Scar Serum they began fading. I was thrilled

Do you think your spots are the same as mine?

I can try for a better photo.

Hi! It looks similar to mine i’m not sure. But it looks much less, because your photo has much more quality than mine and it should have been more visible

May be consult plastic surgeon, not cosmetic doctors and not dermatologist. Or looking into medical camouflage tattooing. Or even make-up techniques.

I have these same markings on my upper lip and jawline. They’ve not improved much since 2018, when I got them. You may want to see someone who does RF microneedling, as that’s the only thing I’m aware of that can reach the full depth of the scar and cause remodeling of the collagen architecture. I’m looking to have such a procedure done later in the year. Hopefully, mine will revascularize.