Hydrogen Peroxide and Lemon Juice

Hi all!

I read on a website that if you mix hydrogen peroxide and lemon juice together and apply it to your body it acts as a body hair bleach. I gave it a try, and it actually works. It is more mild than what you would get if you bought stuff from the drugstore, but it’s something. My questions is this: is this ok to use on your skin fairly often? The label on hydrogen peroxide says not to use it for an extended period of time, and not to apply it to a large area of the body (say my entire chest/stomach). Are these precautions in place because it is being assumed that you are using the hydrogen peroxide on cuts, scrapes, etc… Will using it long term, say once every week or so, do something bad?

Chris.

Your bigger problem would be exposure to sun after treatment with this mixture. You would be much more easily sunburnt.

Are you talking in general (like the next day), or just following application? I usually do this right before bed, and therefore have no exposure to the sun right after application.

I don’t remember the number of hours this keeps you vulnerable, but flying by the seat of my pants, I would say that somewhere between overnight and 24 hours would sound right to me.

But other than that, you believe this is safe for long-term usage?

Yes this would make you photosensitive. All citrus acids do.

Worse the hydrogen peroxide is absorbed through the skin into your body where it is toxic. That is why they say not overlarge areas and limited use.

Worse the hydrogen peroxide is absorbed through the skin into your body where it is toxic. That is why they say not overlarge areas and limited use.

Oh, this is different. I’m thinking this is not something I should do then. Is the lemon juice strong enough on its own?

The peroxide is used to get the lemon juice into the fibers. It is the cause of the “Plumping Effect” that bleaching of hairs causes. You go from little black hairs, to thicker blonde hairs. Is the trade off worth it?

Most people are best served by shaving or clipping.

The thing is I have very white skin, and very dark, thick, black hair. Shaving/trimming leaves very obvious dots or stubs. Bleaching seems to work ok, if done often. It is unfortunate I am learning it cannot be used so often as I would wish.

On an unrelated note, is there anything I can do about two hairs growing from the same follicle at the same time on my stomach? I tried plucking one from each of these, to thin it out, and it actually looked pretty good. The hairs were not so prominent and obvious anymore, and it looked better. Unfortunately, the hairs started growing back, and I started having odd looking dark bases at each of these points. It would be a CONSTANT battle trying to pluck these all the time. I didn’t notice this multiple hairs thing until after I experimented with sugaring my stomach. I think after the hair started growing back is when this all started. Any link, or just a coincidence? Anything I can do to straighten out the growing pattern?

Chris.

Anybody?

Since no one else seems to want to answer this question, I will point out that permanent hair removal is your only option, as plucking will only encourage negative outcomes like the multiple hairs you describe.

The good news is the belly responds quickly to treatment.

Hi Chistofer-B

Peroxide can be damaging to the skin, particularly exfolitng and causing bleaching and peeling. A lot of hairdressers use a cloth like substance to help protect head hair when applying highlights.

Generally I would say body use is quite harmfull, as Peroxide is an oxidant and will cause skin burns. It may lighten dark hair folicles, but will cause skin burns even at night. If you choose to use Peroxide avoid sunlight as it will burn you skin within 15 to 30 minutes.

As James W says, go for permanent hair removal. Dark hairs are best removed this way with light skin. My reccomendation is Electrolisis. It costs a lot more, but do you really want to burn your skin and hair.

PS: I have also tried this and my skin went white and my hair orange. Not a good look. Shaving is a good alternative combined with Lazor or Eloctrolisis. I still shave by the way every day and the Norelco / Phiilips works well on my skin type which you describe as similar to mine. I have also found out that plucking multiple hair folicles doesn’t work - it hurts and doesn’t do the job well enough.

Regards
Stuart