How to stop razor bumps

Hey guys

I get alot of razor bumps when i shave on my body (i.e. chest and private areas - not usually on my face). How can i stop this… do i put shaving foam on my genitals and chest when i shave there?

Also ive got quite a lot of hair on my penis shaft… is it still ok to shave them?

Hi 123rocky

Any area that you don’t shave regulary will become sensitive and develop bumps and sore red spots. The skin needs to get used to the exfoliation effects of a blade or electric razor removing the upper layers of effectivly dead skin. This naturally makes the deeper layers of the dermis (skin) a bit raw and tender at first. Shaving hair off your skin can’t harm you unless you cut yourself or blood appears regularly. In that case avoid shaving those areas.

The skin in private ares is very thin, which is normal for sensation as nature intended, but take care if you shave there because you can develop infection if you don’t take special care with personal hygien.

Regards
Stuart

A product such as PFB Vanish should help with bumps and ingrowns, it is a chemical exfoliant. Shaving cream can’t hurt, have you tried it? Also, my advice to you is to not shave the shaft of your penis if you are sexually active. Most partners would find the stubble uncomfortable to say the least.

TendSkin helps with ingrowns. For the best shaving experience, you should soak the area for 10 mins in warm water, use a shaving GEL (not foam or cream) and a new 3-4 blade razor. then shave against the grain.

If your hair grows extremely at an angle, is coarse, and you have oily sking there is nothing you can do. At least that is what I’ve found, that is why I’ve saught a long-term solution in the last 5 years.

I stopped getting razor bumps as soon as I stopped using a straight razor and started using a shaver

I personally don’t believe in the effectiveness of topical lotions like TendSkin or in that of manual exfoliation before or after hair removal.

For me, it all boils down to technique:

***If hair is long, trim it down to a manageable length first w/ clippers.

1.) Apply hot water to the area(s) to be shaved.

2.) Apply a quality lubricant to the area(s) to be shaved. Hair conditioner works really well here for a number of reasons, including that it doesn’t obstruct your view of what you’re shaving.

3.) Using a fresh razor, shave the hair against the grain using extremely light and short strokes and never going over the area more than a few times. I highly recommend buying a large bundle of disposable razors for this purpose. 1 or 2 blade shavers are adaquete - no need for more tracks. Don’t buy bic blades as they’re unusually prone to cutting, nicking.

4.) Rinse area(a) off with cool water.

5.) Apply body lotion to the area(s) in question.

I shave my private area totally—including the perianal which is the hardest to get- about once a week. I always get red irritating bumps that itch sometimes… I tried all the above techniques and this is what I found works best for me:
-Shaving with a M3 Power razor
-Soaking area in hot water for at least 10 minutes
-Applying shaving cream (Nivea Sensitive Skin)
-Shaving in small strokes
-Afterwards, I pat dry with a towel
-Instead of applying lotion, I apply baby powder (I reapply each morning or after each shower to keep area dry)

The baby powder is really what keeps the bumps away I think…

I am the biggest proponent against 3-4 blade razors in the world I think. I think these are by far the worst razors on the planet if you have heavy hair growth. Sure they get closer, but they are also removing more layers of skin, and causing more ingrowns. I’ve found the best razor to be the sensor excel regardless of what area. Actually, my Braun Electric Shaver is a ALOT better than any razor I’ve ever owned. No not at getting close, but for minimizing irritation. If I shaved my chest, or shoulders with a mach 3 razor, I would not be able to shave again for about 3 weeks because of the irritation. With an electric, I can shave my face alot more often up to 5 times a week with electric while only 3 with the sensor excel and 2 with any mach 3 or 3 blade razor.

Alcohol usually works well for me to diminish the red spots. Yeah, it stings like hell at first, but it does the job in the end.

CaseyLuna,

Are you male or female? The reason I ask is that I hope you are not using talcum powder, as some studies have found an increased risk of ovarian cancer. I don’t think anyone has yet to nail down a direct correlation, but just in case use a cornstarch-based powder.